Greatest wargame of all time ?

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Along the lines of Clash of Steel, yes I remember that one, the one I bought at that time was Three-Sixties/Atomic "High Command". It was like a PC version of Avalon Hill's "Third Reich". It had a couple bugs, but that was before the good ol' internet and patches.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sergeant Huang:

Hi, Major Tom :

I have the same CD as you do, what a

deal on this CD, you got 4 great games and

a manaul.

I have save some of my campaign in Clash

of steel, do you ?? If yes, we may exchange

those movie files, so we can watch how

do we conquer the whole Europe and learn

some good tactics or strategy. What do you

say ??

regards

Sarge Huang

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haven't played COS in, well, probably a year. So, sorry, I don't have any saved scenarios. I used to spend hours just fiddling around, seeing how good a score I could get. If you would like to toss a few over, just check my e-mail address, possibly it might rekindle my interest in the game :)

Also, have you given any thought to editing the game? I have tried to open a few files with a Hex Editor, and I can get to the name designations of the units, but, whenever I save it and run the game it crashes. Any luck on your part?

Damn hard to find a good grand strategy game,Ive played COS,ive got axis and allies had high command,that was too poorly implenmented though idea good,One i really enjoyed was storm across europe

the only one that i know of thats any good,that is in pipeline is Defcon

http://www.anonymes.com/defcon.html

Other than that there doesnt seem to be much else rolleyes.gif

------------------

"Some people don't see the light until they first feel the heat"

Agree with many of the posts as what were notable wargames (eg CC series, V4V series etc) but I think I should mention Sid Meier's Gettysburg (and more recently Antietam).

SMG/SMA has an excellent balance between strategy and tactics combined with decent graphics and sounds. My best online gaming experiences was playing SMG 2x2 (or 3x3 when the connection was good enough).

Morale, LOS, 3D terrain, FOW, formation, deployment, cavalry, leadership all had to be considered. It was great to see how well the styles of each player could really manifest itself on the battlefield. It was great seeing how the results of a tough battle at one section of a line could result in the dissolution of the entire battle line as the enemy flank was exploited. The need for good strategic planning AND good tactical conduct/technique were distinct features of the game.

Thouroughly recommend it to anyone.

Lt. Bull

....ah yeah Jeff...I forgot to mention that important feature!

It really extended the life of the game. In fact, virtually all h2h games played online were typically created using the random battle generator. SMG's strength was in it's h2h play capability.

I understand that CM is going to have some sort of "random battle generator"...any clarifications?

Lt. Bull

Well, as a minor nitpick, the "random" battles were not truly generated randomly, but were within a predesigned scenario set in which the battle from that set was picked randomly. I make note of this because in its heyday of '98, many avid SMG fans had played the game enough to virtually memorize, for each "random" scenario, where their forces would start and which way the enemy would approach. The best way to avoid abuse of this "memorizing" in multiplayer games was for veteran players to say "we played this before" or that the veterans were divided evenly for both sides.

But you're absolutely right on the bigger issue, Lt Bull. SMG was damn hard to beat in its ability to create the "atmosphere" of an ACW battle, and in several respects, it was more realistic in ACW tactics than all prior PC games. Too bad I loaned out my SMG CD to a brother and never got it back. redface.gif

You ever give a "Rebel Yell" over the microphone in an SMG multiplayer game? biggrin.gif

Hell yeah Spook! SMG really created great atmosphere. I really liked how, if you knew what you were doing, very deliberate micro-management of regiments (to the level of a brigade commander or even regimental commander) in the heat of battle could really turn an otherwise impending defeat into victory. It was up to the player to determine how "nitty gritty" they wanted to be. In the same way poor strategy (Corp/Divisional level) could be made up by excellent tactical deployment (Brigade/Regimental level) and vice versa.

The basic SMG/SMA game engine/game concept is excellent.

Pity about you losing your smg CD. I could've challenged you to a battle! It really is an excellent game.

I managed to get SMA as well. If you haven't seen it, its pretty much the same but with a few more enhancing features (eg. specific regimental uniforms, brigade level orders, artillery types etc). To really take that game to the next level, it was hoped that some sort of strategic layer was going to be added (like in CCIV or CWG, and in some ways CMMC) but they didn't go down that path.

Lt. Bull

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lt Bull:

I managed to get SMA as well. If you haven't seen it, its pretty much the same but with a few more enhancing features (eg. specific regimental uniforms, brigade level orders, artillery types etc). To really take that game to the next level, it was hoped that some sort of strategic layer was going to be added (like in CCIV or CWG, and in some ways CMMC) but they didn't go down that path.

Lt. Bull<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, I remember how a "campaign" layer was often asked for on the Firaxis SMG forums back in '98. Perhaps Breakaway Games (who did SMA for Firaxis) can make it happen in their next game. After all, that was the company that picked up the "TalonSoft Five" game designers who left Talon back in January.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by herbjorn:

Hmm, what about Harpoon? I`m eagerly awaiting Harpoon4 later this year smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still have Harpoon classic on my HD. Do you have the other versions? What do they Feature (scenarios, units, etc...)? I use to play it to death. Then one day a came across a demo of a game called "Combat Mission"... biggrin.gif

SP1, CC2, PG1. Also worth mentioning are: Pacific Air War, Carriers at war, and the good old B17 Flying fortress (watch out for B17 II! It's coming. Well, soon, anyway, I hope) However, if I'd have to choose I'd choose SP1. It's a while ago, but I played that one to death. smile.gif

------------------

Juju