Annoying issue

I've seen this issue so many times it is fustrating me.

Here is what happens. I order a unit (call it A1)to move to point X on the map. I then click on another unit (A2)and that unit has been issued the exact same command. I issue halt to that unit (A2)and makes his orders. I (A3)and find that that unit (A1 or A3) has been issued the same move order as the 2nd (A2. I will keep doing tjis unit I either get mad and quit odering units or let the PC do as it wants. Any one else seen this.

Its almost lost fights for me many times.

------------------

"Just Give Me the Prize" Kurgen

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dell Wade:

Here is what happens. I order a unit (call it A1)to move to point X on the map. I then click on another unit (A2)and that unit has been issued the exact same command. I issue halt to that unit (A2)and makes his orders. I (A3)and find that that unit (A1 or A3) has been issued the same move order as the 2nd (A2. I will keep doing tjis unit I either get mad and quit odering units or let the PC do as it wants. Any one else seen this.

Its almost lost fights for me many times.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is A1 a headquarters unit? If you double click that unit, then it chooses all its subordinate units too. Then all the orders you give that unit will be given to it's subordinate units. The only way to make sure you are only giving orders to one unit is to single click a unit and then give the orders.

------------------

Did someone compare this to the Peng thread? I've apologized for less.

-Anonymous

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dell Wade:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like you are double-clicking an HQ unit and then initiate a group move. You notice that when one unit has a yellow frame and a number of other units have a blue frame around them. A command given to the yellow unit will be given to the blue units as well. If you don't want to do that, make sure that no other units are selected when you give orders. Only click once on a unit. (Note, I am a Macuser, it may be slightly different on Wintel.)

Gah - Hiram beat me to it.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-21-2000).]

Nope to both case's

Unit A1 could be a Rifle unit, A2 could be a 2nd rifle gunit, and A3 could be a Bazoka unit. Only the unit moved has a box around it (Yellow) and no blue, green, red, rainbow colors around any other unit. Also I never use the box around movement (Tried once cause me more problems than worth) Also never do a double click. There have however been HQ units near when I've had this issue, but I prefer to keep the HQ back a bit so as to keep them safe. Why rush a HQ into combat unless you have to.

Dell

------------------

"Just Give Me the Prize" Kurgen

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lordfluffers:

You fool, your either double clicking on your HQ units or dragging a box around several units and issuing them the same orders. Mon Deau! (slaps hand against forehead).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's "mon dieu" and name calling is mean. =(

Kitty

------------------

ICQ 8273286

http://www.fluffkitty.com

Guest Big Time Software

Well, either this is a Group Move thing or Dell Wade is having some sort of buggy experience that nobody else has ever had since the game was in pre-pre-pre-Alpha state. I'm not saying that Dell Wade isn't seeing what he is saying he sees, but it is absolutely NOT how the game is programmed to work unless you are talking about group moves. And since nobody else, ever in the history of this game, has reported differently... I can only agree that it looks like a group move thingy.

Steve

I saw something sort of like this recently. I was issuing orders to some trucks and guns to load up, move, and unlimber in a new location. When I got the movie, it seemed like truck #1 went where truck #2 was supposed to go, and gun #2 was trying to move to truck #1's destination by pushing. It seemed like orders for one unit were being assigned to a different unit. However, I suspect this was user error on my part (either had the wrong unit selected, or issued orders too soon -- in large scenarios on my computer the interface can sometimes take a second or two to register a change in selection).

One other thing - I'm just starting a quite large scenario and I have enough infantry that I have two 'B' platoons. That is, I have a set of B0-B3 near the top of my OB, and down toward the end there's another platoon with ids B0-B3 (platoon HQs having gone all the way through Z and wrapped around). Everything seems to be working ok, so presumably there is an internal unique identifier other than the letter-number combination.

Oh, one MORE other thing - in that same battle (the AI bought the forces, all German Heer) I have a small formation that I can't identify. There's a company HQ, a platoon HQ with three LMG teams, and a second platoon HQ with a single LMG team. That's it, as far as I can tell. Anybody have any idea what this unit is?

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

I've had no problems so far in CM and I play constantly, Combat Mission rocks and I have an excellent game rig to play it on, so there tongue.gif

Johnno

Visit my website:

Dogs of War,CMBO Online Players Club

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"I like a man who grins when he fights."

- Prime Minister Winston Churchill<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Johnno (edited 12-17-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Leland, about that wrapping unit number thing... you are a twisted individual for having that many guys on the map smile.gif

CM was only designed to support about a battalion of troops at its max, but really about half that as the norm. I think we won't be fixing the numbering thing until CM2.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Leland, about that wrapping unit number thing... you are a twisted individual for having that many guys on the map smile.gif

CM was only designed to support about a battalion of troops at its max, but really about half that as the norm. I think we won't be fixing the numbering thing until CM2.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, it's my opponent that suggested the game settings. I just play 'em as they're dealt. I may need to buy a new computer to play this scenario, though...

"Hey, honey? Remember how you were talking about wanting to go to England next year? What do you think about buying a new computer so I can play even bigger Combat Mission scenarios instead?"

Riiiiight.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

Oh, one MORE other thing - in that same battle (the AI bought the forces, all German Heer) I have a small formation that I can't identify. There's a company HQ, a platoon HQ with three LMG teams, and a second platoon HQ with a single LMG team. That's it, as far as I can tell. Anybody have any idea what this unit is?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A panzer grenadier heavy weapons company (armored) perhaps? It has a company HQ, a platoon HQ with 3 PaK40s and 3 LMG 42s, a platoon HQ with 2 75mm infantry guns and one LMG, and a platoon hq with 6 251/9s.

Various other armored infantry things might have done it, or perhaps a couple security heavy weapons companies, mixed up, but the other options also have at guns in them, and this looks like the likely culprit.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Hough:

A panzer grenadier heavy weapons company (armored) perhaps? It has a company HQ, a platoon HQ with 3 PaK40s and 3 LMG 42s, a platoon HQ with 2 75mm infantry guns and one LMG, and a platoon hq with 6 251/9s.

Various other armored infantry things might have done it, or perhaps a couple security heavy weapons companies, mixed up, but the other options also have at guns in them, and this looks like the likely culprit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, that's not it. There are elements you list that I don't have [he said vaguely, to avoid providing intel to the enemy]. Might be something similar to that, though ... I'll take another look.

BTW, you up for a rematch, John? It's been a while...

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lordfluffers:

You fool, your either double clicking on your HQ units or dragging a box around several units and issuing them the same orders. Mon Deau! (slaps hand against forehead).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's either "Mon Dieu!" (My God!)

or "Mon doux" (watered down version of... My God!) Literally means... my smooth-to-the-touch. Not very emphatic. I think the latter is French Canadian.

smile.gif