Infantry rushing vehicles?

Alot of the times I find it necessary to tell my infantry to rush a vehicle in hopes they can knock it out close range with a grenade, etc. Problem is, with the Run command they don't stop for anything (except pinning, routed, etc.), and while they're running to the spot the vehicle WAS during the pannin phase, by the time they get there it's moved a few dozen meters. When they reach the designated spot, they rotate to face the vehicle, and stand there firing at it. The vehicle is by then 70-100 meters away, and if you can land a grenade into a halftrack at that distance you should be playing in the majors.

Is there any secret to getting your infantry to approach the vehicle itself and not just the spot it's at during the panning phase? I realize no trooper would be too quick to rush a Tiger head on, but these guy won't even run up to an halftrack (emptied) or armored car facing away from them. Help?

I have suffered the same problem. The only answer is don't let the enemy know you are coming (I know lame obvious statement). I rushed a Lynx the other day with a full platoon and my opponent just reversed away and pounded my infantry. I use elevations and treelines to jump them not to mention buildings. The guys I play on the weekends fear coming into a town I occupy. Well at least their armor fears. Don't expect to get a vehicle in a straight run especially over multiple turns. That is the only answer I got.

------------------

Sir are you sure you want to go to red alert...it would mean changing the bulb

-Priest

Got kind of the same problem, but when I ask my troup to rush a vehicule, if this one goes on reverse, my troup just let it go. I want them to pursue the vehicule to kill it with grenade. I think that there is no way to do that ... maybe in CM2.

I'd like this "rush that car" option.

But there's one problem I can think of.

Assuming the opponent guesses you're about to rush his vehicle,

he could set it reversing away, cheerily gunning down your men

while they'd be running in the open, in a futile chase.

Jarmo said:

"Assuming the opponent guesses you're about to rush his vehicle, he could set it reversing away, cheerily gunning down your men while they'd be running in the open, in a futile chase."

That somehow puts a smile to my face smile.gif

Look at it from the other angle guys. You're an armored car out alone with no infantry support. You see some movement in the bushes. What would you do?

Rushing a vehicle, grenade in hand is foolhardy and only takes place at the most desperate moments, hollywood aside of course. From an infantrymans point of view, if you're having to close assault vehicles by hand, then you've already lost the battle. CM does a good job of modeling this, I think.

I have seen this reach unrealistic levels, though. Like in one of the training missions (US engineers defend a bridge until reinforcements arrive), a group of engs sitting in a foxhole (tooled up with explosives), a Jerry armoured car comes rolling right past them up the hill, ignoring them. The engs are set to target the vehicle, but literally just sit up and watch it roll slowly past until it's out of range. They even rotated to track it. I was hoping for a sticky-bomb situation, alas naah. I think they were in shock for not getting run over..

------------------

"I like a man who grins when he fights."

- Prime Minister Winston Churchill

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ScoutPL:

(snip) ... if you're having to close assault vehicles by hand, then you've already lost the battle. CM does a good job of modeling this, I think.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Words of wisdom to be sure. When you have infantry close assaulting tanks, you are probably in deep trouble by that point and CM does indeed model these attacks, quite well like the acts of desperation they really are.

One final comment though, if you JUST HAVE To close assault that tank, send infantry from both sides or the sides and the rear and AND keep them all within command radius of an HQ unit, (the MORE experienced the better) having HQ units in close assaults of tanks has been my most successful method so far.

-tom w

I agree that close assault is usually the last option. Nonetheless I would like a command that allows for it: The present combination of 'Fire at Tank'plus 'Run to Where Tank Currently is' does lead to many cases where the tank moves and the troops just mill around the area it used to be like headless chickens. I would imagine that in this type of situation they would either run back to cover or look to see if the vehicle was still close enough to catch it. I don't know how difficult either option would be to code, but it would give a rather more flexible response that the current one.

I've only tried it once so far.. to deal with a KingTiger that my Shermans and M26 didn't seem to be doing too well in.

I fired a 'spread' of squads across the likely path of movement of the tank, kinda like a WWII sub would fire torpedoes!

Unfortunately, it was a moot gesture. A 105mm HC shell took out the KT!

NTM

wow. What a timely topic. I did that just last night. In this case it was to draw the tank fire from my tank. I had a single MkIV on a hill behind a wall and there were two shermans down below next to some tall pines. I sent two squads next to the tanks. They got chewed up pretty bad but the MkIV took out both Shermans without them knowing he was there.

I have to agree. If I had lost my tanks I would have forfeited or tried close assaulting his until I was wiped out.

I have to agree with this statment... <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ScoutPL:

Look at it from the other angle guys. You're an armored car out alone with no infantry support. You see some movement in the bushes. What would you do?

Rushing a vehicle, grenade in hand is foolhardy and only takes place at the most desperate moments, hollywood aside of course. From an infantrymans point of view, if you're having to close assault vehicles by hand, then you've already lost the battle. CM does a good job of modeling this, I think.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>