Winter Camouflage

Can anyone tell me how widespread was the use of winter snow camouflage for vehicles and men in the winter of 1944/45 in Western Europe.

Was it employed by all the major armies or only by some?

Many thanks for any reliable info on this topic.

IIRC, I don't think it was ever official policy for any of the major armies, but rather employed on an ad-hoc basis or left up to the unit commanders. Official winter uniforms were used on both sides, but there were never enough to go around. (Remember, the U.S. Army had troubles enought getting proper winter boots to the troops to combat frostbite!)

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Surprisingly enough, American winter camoflage was reduced to white-washing their vehicles or draping bedsheets over them.

Germany was the only country during the war to really adopt painted-on camo patterns. The Waffen SS started using camo first, followed by the other branches of the Weremacht as the war went on.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pcelt:

Can anyone tell me how widespread was the use of winter snow camouflage for vehicles and men in the winter of 1944/45 in Western Europe.

Was it employed by all the major armies or only by some?

Many thanks for any reliable info on this topic.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The US regulations called for a Winter camo scheme of white & black,& or white and olive drab for winter camo. Some vehichles actualy were painted in the patterns but it wasnt realy a common practice from photographic records. It was more common for US crews to use whitewash, linen, mud & unintentional

use snow on US vehichles, crews tended to let it pile up except on the vehichle

entry exit areas.

The British used whitewash, and white sheeting as well, they even issued a detailed

FM on winter camo techniques to their troops in 1945, but again its use seems to have been as varied as the US.

Regards, John Waters

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PzKpfw 1:

The US regulations called for a Winter camo scheme of white & black,& or white and olive drab for winter camo. Some vehichles actualy were painted in the patterns but it wasnt realy a common practice from photographic records. It was more common for US crews to use whitewash, linen, mud & unintentional use snow on US vehichles, crews tended to let it pile up except on the vehichle entry exit areas.

The British used whitewash, and white sheeting as well, they even issued a detailed FM on winter camo techniques to their troops in 1945, but again its use seems to have been as varied as the US.

Regards, John Waters

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 07-20-2000).]

I have downloaded the USA winter camo pak. I have seen screenshots of Germans in winter camo but do not know where to get this?

I got the Vehicle Winter camo and in the screenshot of it, it showed German soldiers in white riding the halftracks.

Can anyone tell me where I can find the German camoflauge?

Guest Madmatt

The Germans soldiers in winter camo are included in MDMP-2 which is NOT available yet.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 07-22-2000).]