OT: U.S. Army to wear black berets

Manta... 20 seconds freefall?!

Eeeeeeeek!

If my chute hadn't opened by the time I reaced 'FOURTHOUSAND' (Yelled in a voice of sheer, abject terror), I'd have gotten -very- worried... :)

Later...

Manic Moran

------------------

The difference between infantrymen and cavalrymen is that cavalrymen get to die faster, for we ride into battle!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest machineman

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trooper:

Manta... 20 seconds freefall?!

Eeeeeeeek!

If my chute hadn't opened by the time I reaced 'FOURTHOUSAND' (Yelled in a voice of sheer, abject terror), I'd have gotten -very- worried... :)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember how just how loud it was in the plane with the door off, and of being terrified of sliding out that door when the plane tilted before they got the chute hooked up, AND that horrible disorientating tumbling through the air feeling before the chute opened. After that it was pretty good.

Bungy jumping feels worse, IMO. Like parachuting at 200 feet, with the chute opening at 50. Those rocks and trees get pretty big before you start to slow down.

Guest herbjorn
Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Precursor to the SS uniforms of WWII I believe. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if whoever was responsible for designing the SS uniforms had in mind those Prussian Kings German Legion ones at the time. Does anyone have any information on this?

I read somewhere that the ss uniforms were based on the uniform of a German kings personal bodyguard. They had changed to black after his death to mourn his loss.

>"Turbulence" ? Whaaa? Is he talking about men or planes? Jeez whatta bunch of hopeless sheep, I got an idea, give em the uniform, put 'em on half pay and send their whiney wimp asses home, then outsource our defense commitment to the private sector (I can always stand to make more money)<

PZVG, take your wonderfully #ssinine idea and stick it. There are so many things that piss me off about such an irresponisible statement it makes me sick. And yeah, I'll be happy to pull out my 214 to see who's is longest!

Sorry for the flamethrower guys, but this guy gets to me deep sometimes.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by machineman:

I remember how just how loud it was in the plane with the door off, and of being terrified of sliding out that door when the plane tilted before they got the chute hooked up, AND that horrible disorientating tumbling through the air feeling before the chute opened. After that it was pretty good.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't disorientated... I knew exactly which was was up. The way I wasn't headed!

Anyone got the transcript from 'Hitchiker's Guide' where the whale is wondering if the ground, which is approaching very fast, would be friends with it?

I flat refuse to bungee. The human body was not designed with 'stretching' forces in mind.

If paratroopers can wear jump boots, what do jump-qualified tankers wear?

DWH

Manic Moran

------------------

The difference between infantrymen and cavalrymen is that cavalrymen get to die faster, for we ride into battle!

Scoutpl my words were tongue-in-cheek, not meant as serious thought on the subject, and if I bother you, then that's a personal problem,yours. I neither apologize for being myself nor back away from having negative comments on the current state of the military, That's a veteran's prerogative, and if you can't understand it, then perhaps your 214 isn't quite long enough to recall being screwed by your government, or maybe you haven't tried to use your VA benefits yet. Smile, friend you might as well take it lightly, since if you choose not to, the burden will be rightly yours.

Now, anyone else wanna dance? cool.gif

------------------

Pzvg

"Confucious say, it is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trooper:

I give.

What's a 214?

NTM

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AKA DD-214. It is a short document that outlines the amount of service, awards, rank, etc. of a US serviceman (or woman). It is commonly used as proof of service.

------------------

Cats aren't clean, they're covered with cat spit.

I thought you were losing your internet Babs. Or has it not been a month yet. Welcome back in any case.

------------------

Most people assume that the M in US vehicle designations means "Model". Thus, the Medium Tank M4 Sherman would be the "Model #4" Medium tank. This is incorrect. The M actually stands for "Mortality" and the number represents the life expectancy of the vehicle in minutes. - Bullethead

Well thankfully in the Australian army we have those very distinctive slouch hats which I personally think look great. They stand out, can provide a bit of shade (if only to one side of the face) and any soldier wearing them is instantly recognised as being an Aussie & not some homogenous could be any countries soldiers (if wearing a black beret).

Of course I'm not biased or anything! smile.gif

Regards

Jim R.