Has anyone had any sucess with Air Strikes?

I just used one in a QB against the AI and I was hoping for a couple more passes. It did take out a panther and a halftrack, but only two passes. And it wasn't getting any AA fire. WTF?

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joeski:

I just used one in a QB against the AI and I was hoping for a couple more passes. It did take out a panther and a halftrack, but only two passes. And it wasn't getting any AA fire. WTF?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be happy it took out that Panther tank. Now he can fly home to England and brag to the Red Cross Nurses about how brave he is.:)

------------------

Navare

"I am determined to prove a villian..."

I have had sucessful air strikes against me and against the other player. I would call the air strike that you describe a success. What I'm confused about is how to have a successful anit-air strike. I think the manual says that it is rare that flak guns will hit a plane. Does anyone know how I can increase a flak guns chance to kill/drive away the planes?

Most of the time my flak guns don't even shoot. They like to follow the plane across the sky.

Theron

Get your flak into some tree cover, and try to get them experienced as possible. Also, giving the planes other targets that are fast and perhaps less valuable may distract them from better targets and put them in range of flak.

Another pointer, get lots of flak (2-3). One just doesn't do it.

[This message has been edited by Gen. Sosaboski (edited 11-11-2000).]

I've had success with Air Strikes in fact I made an operation if you want to try it on my website that uses lots of "Fly-boys." If you want to watch and understand how CM uses FB's then play the scenario "Clash of Eagles" that comes with the CD.

Personally I don't think I've shot down a plane yet however I was really hoping if I did it would crash onto the battlefield, or at least have a chance too; that would be so cool.

Happy Remembrance Day by the way everyone!

Visit my website:

Dogs of War http://persweb.direct.ca/johnnocm

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

- Private Jackson (The Snipers Prayer from Saving Private Ryan.)

To reduce damage from air strikes, be alert for the sound of the fighter bomber coming in. There will always be noise one turn before the strike. Soon as you are warned, scatter your armor as quick as you can. Make sure there's at least a 75m gap between any vehicles, because when that pilot drops a bomb, it'll knock out anything in the area.

If you have any vehicles that aren't essential at the moment, get them moving fast to make them harder to hit. I often just have them fast move up and down a section of road.

Vehicles with flexible MGs, such as Shermans and halftracks, will fire these guns at planes, but only if they're unbuttoned. They can be effective in driving planes away, but I've never had one shoot down a plane.

Oh, and be ready to start laughing, because sometimes your opponet's pilot will see troops on the ground and start firing...and they won't be your troops.

------------------

No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game

[This message has been edited by 109 Gustav (edited 11-12-2000).]

I've had one of my FBs shot down as an Allied player in one of the game's scenarios. I've had one shoot up the Axis opponent though it missed hitting anything important. I've never shot one dowm myself though I'm looking forward to this.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Guest Shatter50

Does anyone know how I can increase a flak guns chance to kill/drive away the planes?

Most of the time my flak guns don't even shoot. They like to follow the plane across the sky.

---------------------------------------------

Shatter here

When I first started making scenarios the first I created was a small Allied force attacking a larger German force in a stronghold but I gave the allies serious air support. The German Strong hold had also a lot of AA. As I continued tweeking the scenario I noticed Allied air support was totally wiping out the Germans and AA was doing little. So several turns I closely watched AA (each turn had several Allied air strikes) I noticed the AA guns would not fire unless it had locked on or clear LOS for several seconds and then begin to fire.

So to remedy this problem I raised the AA positions in the Stronghold and moved them farther back to keep them out of the Allies ground forces sites. I started the scenario back up by turn 10 my 2 20mm Flak each had put a plane down, Quad 20mm Flak 2 planes down. 2 37mm Flak each had 2 kills and 88mm Flak also had 2 kills , 2 Wirlwinds had 3 kills between them. So higher ground for AA as long as it does not put your AA into enemey sites. Athough most German AA does heavy damage to infantry, but I don't recomend sending these AA units at enemy infantry without somekind of support. For instance 2 panthers firing from a ridge all a sudden serious infantry storms the panthers. To stop the charge in its tracks 2 Wirbelwind 20mm AA vehicles will do nicely or Ostwind 37mm AA vehicles will do fine as well. I have scored light armor kills with the Ostwind but would I would not expect it all the time.

Hope this helps AA prob

[This message has been edited by Shatter50 (edited 11-12-2000).]

Guest Shatter50

Personally I don't think I've shot down a plane yet however I was really hoping if I did it would crash onto the battlefield, or at least have a chance too; that would be so cool.

---------------------------------------------

Shatter again I have shot down 18 - 22 planes in the scenario I made. I have played it lots of times and have never seen a plane crash on the battle field. I was hoping for the same thing. If it does happen it is very rare, personally don't think it is in CM, cool upgade for CM2 hopefully.

[This message has been edited by Shatter50 (edited 11-12-2000).]

While playing the Ramelle-SPR scenario, I had a FB take out the second Tiger and a few other AFVs, just like it happened in the movie.

Also in another scenario, my FBs were quite effective taking out several AFVs in a town that I had lost site of, and once I got LOS to them, I realized that they were knocked out or abandoned.

Guest Shatter50
Originally posted by Randy Mauldin:

I guess it just depends on your luck. I've only seen them in one game I've played and they didnt do any damage. BTW how do you know if a plane is shot down if all you see is the shadow?

The only way I know of a plane being shot down is when your playing a game click unit hit enter to bring up stats then click INFO/KILLS and if a plane is shot down it will say 1 PLANE SHOT DOWN GOT IT

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Randy Mauldin:

I guess it just depends on your luck. I've only seen them in one game I've played and they didnt do any damage. BTW how do you know if a plane is shot down if all you see is the shadow?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You see it in the end game report. You know, the one where they play taps and tell you who won.

------------------

Thanks for all the replies/info. Does anyone know how many passes an air strike normally does or is it different all the time? Thanks.

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

I agree with Shatter. I wish there would be an instance when you see a plane crash or some sort of noise to show your 88 AA took out an allied plane.

In one instance, I had three bomber runs in two turns and I had all sorts of flak guns. I guess they were desparate but my guns were shooting like crazy too.

------------------

Did someone compare this to the Peng thread? I've apologized for less.

-Anonymous

The number of passes depends on the FB's experience level, the amount of AA, and luck. AA doesn't nesecarily have to hit the plane to make the flyboy pack it in. I've had CAS run away after one run because it caught sight of a couple of Ostwinds.

In my experience CAS is too risky to be worth buying in a QB. However, when CAS works it really works. If you pay 225 for your CAS (the american cost IIRC) and that CAS takes out a couple of tanks and a handful of halftracks then you got an excellent return on your points. CAS is prone to do this if they show for more than a turn and especially if they come with those obscenely large 500 pd bombs. Hull down means nothing when death comes from above.