Advertisers and Combat Mission.

Guest Pillar

I'm thinking of opening a few websites that cater to specific Combat Mission services and resources. I want to make some money at this.

I'd like to know if:

A) There are any other people doing/already done this

B) If there is any interest off hand right now for advertising space.

Thanks.

Well, that was helpful Gunslinger. I guess while I'm busy producing and providing services etc, you'll be busy sulking behind the door.

I'm going to University in two weeks and I think there is nothing more noble than hard work for reward.

I don't want to get off topic, but on the note of custom smilies for those who are interested, run a search on Google.

There are hundreds of interesting smiley animated gifs you can download from various sites on the net.

Peng's worst nightmare. wink.gif

Guest Gunslinger

>I'm going to University in two weeks and I

>think there is nothing more noble than hard

>work for reward.

You better hit the English books then.

It should be:

I'm going to a University

And "there is nothing more" is a double negative.

biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gunslinger:

>I'm going to University in two weeks and I

>think there is nothing more noble than hard

>work for reward.

You better hit the English books then.

It should be:

I'm going to a University

And "there is nothing more" is a double negative.

biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First: Going to University is correct. It's not a common usage in American English, but it is correct.

Second: It's not a double negative. A double negative would be something like "There ain't nothing more."

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

Guest Gunslinger

Ok, I did get a little upset.

But for two reasons.

One, I had just got done asking about making a FREE Vietnam MOD and I got jumped on by some guy.

Then I come in here and see someone wanting to make money off of someone else's software.

I'm sorry, but when you start charging for stuff like that you open up a whole can of worms and ruin the game.

Add to the fact that BTS might jump on you for it (although I have no idea what your going to charge for) and add the fact that one of the biggest reasons I got into CM was because of the open editing that is possible and the FREE community it just gets under my skin.

I used to make shareware for flight sims and I got out of it real fast. Legal issues out the butt, tech support, then add to the fact you make a product, then come to find out someone has turned around and made the same product for free.

It just isn't fun.

Is there not anything I can pay for once and keep enjoying it or is this going to start a whole slew of damn shareware "mods" that will cost $19.95 or less?

Now, if I got your message wrong and you were only implying you wanted to make money by having banner ads on your site (Having companys pay for those ads), that is a totally different matter and I will apologize.

However if your suggesting of going against what everyone else here is doing and start charging for your mods then I say good luck, because you will need it.

------------------

Gunslinger

rocketwhore.gif

-----------------

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited 09-01-2000).]

I believe he is asking about banner ads.. But without knowing what is planned, it is hard to give an opinion.

Lorak

------------------

Proud commander of the CCT's Chinchilla Commando Teams

vampV.gif

[This message has been edited by Lorak (edited 09-01-2000).]

Now, if I got your message wrong and you were only implying you wanted to make money by having banner ads on your site (Having companys pay for those ads), that is a totally different matter and I will apologize.

However if your suggesting of going against what everyone else here is doing and start charging for your mods then I say good luck, because you will need it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gunslinger, I would venture a guess that Pillar is speaking of making money off of advertising banners for fan sites, rather than some attempt to make money by selling stuff to fans. Also, as has been said before about poster's language useage: please don't assume everyone here is using English (and American English, at that) as their first language.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

[This message has been edited by Seanachai (edited 09-01-2000).]

Gunslinger:

I appreciate you explaining why you got upset. It seems you realize that there was a misunderstanding -- indeed, there was. I am talking about running banner ads, not making money off someone elses labour.

I've already created the Combat Mission RPG, and I have some other things in mind as well. If you look through the posts on this forum, you'll likely find a pattern of certain services and features that people could find useful.

I can't understand why people automatically assume the worst of people's intentions. It seems half the threads on this message board are closed down due to a relative few who decide to make a flame-war out of an interesting idea. Unfortunately, the original topic and poster are usually forgotten in the mess.

You admit in your post "I have no idea what your going to charge for", yet you still choose to assume the worst of me and turn this thread into a lecture -- on the verge of a flamewar.

My advice to you, and please don't take it offensively, is to try and see new idea's and people's "Combat Mission Project's" in a more benevolent light.

In the meanwhile, if you have any more English advice for me I can be reached at mailto:moiety@hotmail.com. I need all the help I can get for writing essays and doing research papers. Just keep in mind I am Canadian and I speak "Official English", as opposed to "American".

NOW BACK ON TO THE TOPIC PLEASE!

[This message has been edited by Pillar (edited 09-01-2000).]

Pillar;

What exactly would you make money from?

I'm just saying, I can get just about anything I need for CM, free on the INTERNET.

So what exactly would you charge money for, that isn't already ou there in the CM community for free?

------------------

The counter-revolution,

people smilling through their tears.

Who can give them back their lives, and all those wasted years.

Guest Gunslinger

Pillar,

I owe you an apology.

"Waiter!, One Apology to go please"

And to the last post above mine.

He isn't going to charge you anything.

He is going to charge companys for AD space on his site.

Again, Pillar, sorry for jumping to the bad intention smile.gif

I'm a police officer so it's sort of my job to see the worst in people biggrin.gif

And your English is fine. I was being an ass.

(Donkey brawls outside)

------------------

Gunslinger

rocketwhore.gif

-----------------

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited 09-02-2000).]

Pillar,

I owe you an apology.

"Waiter!, One Apology to go please"

And your English is fine.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spoken like a Gentleman, and all friends here, then! Who's for a bit of a sing-song? smile.gif

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

And to the last post above mine.

He isn't going to charge you anything.

He is going to charge companys for AD space on his site.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But who is he going to charge?

BTS?

They don't advertise.

I don't see where he is going to make any money. BTS doesn't advertise, and everything

for Combat mission is free except for the game itself.

------------------

The counter-revolution,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DEF BUNGIS:

But who is he going to charge?

BTS?

They don't advertise.

I don't see where he is going to make any money. BTS doesn't advertise, and everything

for Combat mission is free except for the game itself.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Def, there are many companies that will pay you to display their 'banner' on your website, hoping to get customers and 'hits' to their website through ad banners on your website. They hope that what ever it is your website is devoted to pulls in enough interested people to get their site/banner/product noticed amongst a target audience. You don't have to sell anything. All you have to do is provide a place for advertisers to display themselves, and hope the number of visitors to your site (and the clicking on their banner), will justify their payment to you. As an example: Time Magazine doesn't sell XXX Vodka, but they do provide a space to the makers of XXX Vodka to sell their product. Haven't you noticed how many websites have all those product ads/banners all over them? They do that for money, not because they love the product (although sometimes they actually do advocate and believe in the product that posts there...not very often, but it can happen! smile.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Seanachai (edited 09-02-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seanachai:

Def, there are many companies that will pay you to display their 'banner' on your website, hoping to get customers and 'hits' to their website through ad banners on your website. They hope that what ever it is your website is devoted to pulls in enough interested people to get their site/banner/product noticed amongst a target audience. You don't have to sell anything. All you have to do is provide a place for advertisers to display themselves, and hope the number of visitors to your site (and the clicking on their banner), will justify their payment to you. As an example: Time Magazine doesn't sell XXX Vodka, but they do provide a space to the makers of XXX Vodka to sell their product. Haven't you noticed how many websites have all those product ads/banners all over them? They do that for money, not because they love the product (although sometimes they actually do advocate and believe in the product that posts there...not very often, but it can happen! smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but it is my understanding that BTS won't do this type of thing.

I'm not pushing here, just trying to find out what this great idea Pillar has. smile.gif

------------------

The counter-revolution,

Gunsligner:

I'm impressed. Thank you for being a gentleman.

-----------

As for my idea's, they will remain TOP SECRET like the Secret German Gerbil-Launching Cannon footage that was recently discovered in another thread.

[This message has been edited by Pillar (edited 09-02-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DEF BUNGIS:

Yes, but it is my understanding that BTS won't do this type of thing.

I'm not pushing here, just trying to find out what this great idea Pillar has. smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sigh...DEF! Pillar is talking about putting up a site dedicated to Combat Mission. He's hoping that he can pitch how popular Combat Mission is to other, potential advertisers (not BTS), so that these advertisers, hot and ready to see their product pitched to Combat Mission players, will pay to have banners/ads on his site. It doesn't have anything to do with BTS or selling anything involving Combat Mission. He's talking about using the popularity of a site dedicated to Combat Mission to interest completely different advertisers to pay him to have their damn banners on his site because they figure that whatever they are selling might be of interest to Combat Mission players, or that there are so many Combat Mission players out there visiting fan sites like Pillars that they will reach their minds with info about whatever plastic crap they are selling as to make it worth their while to pay Pillar to host a banner on his site about their incredible, Never-Go-Limp product. Versteh?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seanachai:

Sigh...DEF! Pillar is talking about putting up a site dedicated to Combat Mission. He's hoping that he can pitch how popular Combat Mission is to other, potential advertisers (not BTS), so that these advertisers, hot and ready to see their product pitched to Combat Mission players, will pay to have banners/ads on his site. It doesn't have anything to do with BTS or selling anything involving Combat Mission. He's talking about using the popularity of a site dedicated to Combat Mission to interest completely different advertisers to pay him to have their damn banners on his site because they figure that whatever they are selling might be of interest to Combat Mission players, or that there are so many Combat Mission players out there visiting fan sites like Pillars that they will reach their minds with info about whatever plastic crap they are selling as to make it worth their while to pay Pillar to host a banner on his site about their incredible, Never-Go-Limp product. Versteh?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doh!

My bad. biggrin.gif

Generally, if you take a hammer and hit me in the head with it, I'll understand alot faster.

I guess this is why I'll never be a miilionare.

------------------

The counter-revolution,

Those banner ads don't pay squat. We're talking a couple of pennies a hit. I can tell you right now you won't make anything on a site dedicated to CM. If you wanna do it for fun, that's one thing but you need tons of unique hits on those banner ads to make money and that is damn hard to do when the only people visiting your site are a small group of wargamers.

------------------

Everything in moderation...except CM.

Just out of curioisty, do those websites that provide all sorts of free information make money?

I know generally you have to sell *something* for it to pay off, but there are SO MANY information-only websites out there I figured they must be making something...

Pillar,

Years of surfing the internet has taught me to ignore anything:

1.) rectangular

2.) moving

3.) flashing

4.) scrolling

5.) brightly colored

(i.e ads) on any website. Put all the ads you want on your site, I wager I won't even notice a single one.

Personally, I won't pay for anything even vaguely related to CM, except CM itself of course.

$0.02

Good luck with your efforts though, not everybody shares my views.