FAQs

<big>How to Use the Forum</big>

Look at the FAQs! Also a very good search function is available above. It is sometimes quicker at answering your questions then waiting for a reply.

Your best bet is CAR_12's excellent FAQ at his webpage(look for a FAQ link there)

CAR_12's CM for Macs Webpage

wargamer.com's FAQ, based on posts by Steve and Charles

The Wargamer CM FAQ

Big Time Software's CM FAQ(way out of date):

Big Time Software's CM FAQ

Mina's Combat Mission Site

Combat-Mission.com FAQ's and also useful is the Terms page.

How do I use the ubb board?

How to make smilles, UBB code, etc.

---------------------------------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

[This message has been edited by russellmz (edited 12-11-2000).]

<big>TCP/IP</big>

Where's the TCP/IP 1.1 patch?

<a href="http://combathq.thegamers.net/patches/patch.asp">Da' Patch<a/>

How do I find an opponent?

There is an opponents forum at battlefront:

CM Opponent Finder

How do I tell my IP address?

1) Use this URL: http://www.babygrrl.com/ip.shtml

2A) choose RUN from the Start menu and type "WINIPCFG". Then click one of the connection devices, and it will reveal your IP.

2B) If you are using Mac, look at the TCP/IP setting in the Control Panel.

3) Host a TCP/IP game, then your IP address is shown automatically.[last two from GriffinCheng+]

<big>Reality</big>

My King Tiger/Super Pershing/bad-ss tank missed fifteen times and got killed by a Stuart/Lynx/wuss tank! How did that happen?

Sometimes bad luck happens, even in war. The little units may be computers but they act like men, so there will be screw-ups, chokes, and bad karma. On the technical side tanks have weak spots, poor armor quality, or even design flaws. Plus, the Allied tanks have and now use tungsten rounds in the new 1.1 patch, a major tank killer.

Why are there only three men max shown per squad?

It takes too much computing power to show all 8-12 men. A lot of polygons go into those little men so tripling the number will tax almost any CPU/videocard.

Why isn't a bloody corpse shown for every casualty?

Again, too much computing power is required. Not only that but BTS felt that too much gore will detract from the game.

Do machine guns on vehicles jam or get damaged?

No, but they get knocked out if the main gun gets damaged.

Why can't my light/heavy machine gun run?

They have to carry the machine gun(heavy), spare gun barrels(a bit of weight), and ammo(really, really heavy). See the links so kindly provided by Lindan: spur of the moment complaining and David Aitken: Light MG 42's speed

Does anyone know where one can get good topological maps of European battlefields?

Do vehicles provide cover for infantry?

Only if they are knocked out and burning. The calculations are too complex for CM to do it while the vehicles are on the move.

Can we have sandbags in the foxhole graphics?

Sorry no, the big, dark crater is the same picture as the foxhole picture.

<big>Mods</big>

Where can I get some cool mods?

There are numerous places. First, start off at CMHQ. This is where most mods start off or wind up. Another place I go to is Kump's CM Outpost.

[This message has been edited by russellmz (edited 12-13-2000).]

Any chance you can change your link to my site to http://cm4mac.tripod.com ?

I need to keep track of hits so I'd rather links went to my main page instead of a sub-page. It's not hard to get to the FAQ page. It's on the top menu.

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

A major source of Wild Bill scenarios!

Very good idea russel. The board is getting to the point where we are getting the same five or six questions asked three times or more a week. I read it daily so I definately see it. Maybe this can help with that.

Thanks,

Mord

thanks for the support, i also come here almost every day. how often should i bump this thing? i don't want fifty bumps, then a question, then bumps, then question...i plan on doing it every 3-4 days...or 7.

btw, can one of you bump this thing while im on winter break(starts around 16th)? ill be gone until near end jan.

[This message has been edited by russellmz (edited 12-08-2000).]