Update on TCP/IP patch

Guest Big Time Software

I had just finished reading the fantastic review of CM in the issue of Computer Games that came in my mail last night, and decided to see what I had missed on the board in the last 24 hours. It appears that I have missed the equivalent of the discovery of electricity!

Thanks BTS. I can't wait to try this one out!

------------------

CrapGame

Buying CM for yourself is like giving lingerie to your significant other. It's the gift that keeps on giving back!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as saving games, it is a must! Completing a 40 or 50 turn game one session will make the lawyers far richer then they are now. Can you imagine the divorce cases that will evolve as a byproduct of live games? :P The way Empire Deluxe handled the issue, was one system was "master" and the other was "slave". Both players had passwords to protect the game’s integrity. The "master" would save the game and "slave" would simply connect, supply his/her password, and off we went. I’m no computer guru, but it sounds easy. Hopefully this update has this feature. THANKS FOR A GREAT GAME and the personal touch that a small, soon to be giant, software company is giving. Something ID software has forgotten.

SDMIke

Guest Madmatt

Yes, you can save the game anytime during a network session. Either player can do this, just like a PBEM, and the game is password protected for either side (again just like a pbem, so you can't see the other guys stuff).

You can also start a Network game, save it, then continue it later as a PBEM and vicea versa.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 11-04-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

Yes, you can save the game anytime during a network session. Either player can do this, just like a PBEM, and the game is password protected for either side (again just like a pbem, so you can't see the other guys stuff).

You can also start a Network game, save it, then continue it later as a PBEM and vicea versa.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 11-04-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any news from the play testers about how well and how much fun it is to Play TCP/IP live head to head?

Some one please tell us its more fun than a barrel of monkeys, and it works well and it is the NEXT best thing since sliced bread.

any new updates?

thanks

-tom w

Guest KwazyDog

Tom, Matt and I have only really experimented with it thus far but I can tell you it is exception fun, I honestly think it takes CM to a new level! It makes you feel even more part of the action, and the timer option really puts the presure on. I dont think people will be dissapointed smile.gif !

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Tom, Matt and I have only really experimented with it thus far but I can tell you it is exception fun, I honestly think it takes CM to a new level! It makes you feel even more part of the action, and the timer option really puts the presure on. I dont think people will be dissapointed smile.gif !<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES !

Thanks Dan smile.gif

That sounds very encouraging

Have FUN!

you know we all can't wait

I can see line ups forming outside the divorce, lawyers offices now!

(And only just got married last month smile.gif

Still in the "honeymoon phase" or so I'm told)

thats great news

-tom w

Guest Madmatt

Guys, its' like a whole new game. I cringe when I think about the taunting that will soon be flying between games.

It's really cool, to insult someone IN REAL TIME as there zook team misses a Tiger yet again! Also kinda neat as you will find yourslef telling the other guy where to look to see something cool.

A sample Chat:

>Haha! Missed me.

* DOH!

> BOOM!

* Damn, lucky shoot... :-(

> Hey, where did that come from?

* Surprise!!!! BWAHAHHA

> no, come on turn turn TURN! You miserable peice of..

*BOOOMMMMMMMMM!!!! HAHAHAHA

And on and on, all in real time...

the chat shows up in the upper right hand corner and scrolls down the screen. After a few seconds the lines disapear as new text is typed. VERY uncluttered. You also get a cool little *squawk* sound when the other guy sends a message.

Pressing the "tilde" keu opens the chat text window to type your messages. Very fluid and easy to use.

Madmatt

P.s. His name is TIM, Kwazy, not TOM!

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 11-05-2000).]

VERY Cool!

ha ha ha

I love it, thanks for the inspiring update smile.gif

Now re: the P.S. Who is Tim?

I'm Tom, you are MadMatt (I think smile.gif )

I thought KwazyDog's real name was Dan because of his e-mail?

But who is Tim? and who or what did your P.S, refer to?

Thanks So Who is Winning, and who won the first go round between Steve and Charles?

Ever so curious.....

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 11-05-2000).]

Guest *Captain Foobar*

*******IMPORTANT********

******EXTREMELY ESSENTIAL DEMAND********

*******LISTEN ALL BTS GUYS*******

******ARE YOU LISTENING YET?????????*****

WE AAAAABSOLUTELY need to have the chat transcripts "savable", for the purpose of posting them, or their highlights in the mutha beautiful cesspool.....

If you do this... I will steal and eat some ovaries from the local medical research lab, in the hopes that they somehow latch onto my innards, giving me the chance to one day bear your children....

(If that doesnt entice you, please disregard)

I never understood why people said "green with envy". Millionaires, movie stars, famous people...these folks do not make me green with envy. You testers however with your little teases have added an olive drab tint to my skin for the first time!!! I look like I've been 'modded' by Tiger or sumpin'! smile.gif Arrrghh!!! TCP/IP envy! Even the folks who made the doggone game are excited about it! This...this drives me crazy... and makes me GREEN WITH ENVY!!

Seriously though...take your time, Matt and Kwazy. You have my permission to test only 20 hours a day, cuz I know you guys need to eat and sleep. smile.gif And did I mention to HURRY UP AND FINISH THE TESTING, DAMMIT!!! I can't go anywhere with green skin, I'm trapped in my house...

DeanCo--

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Indeed Tom, Im Dan, and he's Matt, but the real question Matt is who the hell is Tim wink.gif ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You RANG?

Rune aka T28 Kid aka Tim

Thanks Rune

Did not Know Madmatt was refering to you.

Are you a Beta Tester playing with the new TCP/IP patch?

Does the patch you folks are testing have any fast recon and hull down tweaks and fixes in it or is it JUST the TCP/IP with the Taunting Feature smile.gif

Thanks to all for the updates and "news"

Play ON!

smile.gif

-tom w

I did not know the timer faction won out.

That debate has had more than a few threads. Great news on the patch and IMHO, the timer.

Very exciting. I have been playing via ICQ and its great. This sound even better.

- Kevin

Oh mine, on-line taunting with savable macros? You ppl are bringing back the good o' memories of WB -- killed at typing...or "haha you 109 (the plane, not the person) cannot get my Spitfire flying inverted!..Ahhgh!" and crashed into the ground....

Or make the taunting in [i}Wing Commander-style.

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

Guest Madmatt

My appologies, I completely read Kwazydogs post above as a list as in "Tom, Matt and me" instead of the way it was meant which was:

"Tom,

Madmatt and me"

I will go back in my hole now...Nothing to see here expect me making an ass outa myself.

And you can always see that!

Madmatt

Can't wait for some more of that TCP/IP luvin'

So madmatt, what do you do for BTS? I think i didn't read the post about it.. what ya 'all up to?

I mean.. what's Kwazy gunna do till cm2? What are you gunna do?! What are steve and charlse gunna do! WHAT ARE WE ALL GUNNA DO!

Ok

bedtime

PeterNZ

------------------

"Someday... the whole world will know the wonder of my nipples."

My appologies, I completely read Kwazydogs post above as a list as in "Tom, Matt and me" instead of the way it was meant which was:

"Tom,

Madmatt and me"

I will go back in my hole now...Nothing to see here expect me making an ass outa myself.

And you can always see that!

Madmatt<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK

Thats all well and fine smile.gif

BUT Who Is WINNING smile.gif ??!

Come on Guys Somebody must be kicking somebody's Butt live via TCP/IP, fess Up smile.gif

Who is Losing?

Can't wait for the LIVE action to begin,

TCP/IP coming SOON to a Computer screen

near you! Featuring Newly minted MODS (Stunning Mods by the way) AND Live TCP/IP where are all those Reviewers NOW?

CRAZY new Idea

(at least I think its new?)

Has anybody thought of this yet?

*******!

When the next BIG patch comes out BTS should cut a few dozen CD's with ALL the Coolest new Mods (with all the artist's persmissions and credits given of course) AND the latest TCP/IP patch on one NEW CD and send it off in a NEW press release to all those Video Game Mags for review AGAIN with new mods and new multiplayer TCP/IP, and with all the NEW great reviews BTS will need another order/burn run of CD's just to keep up with all the new orders from the legions of video game fans who may NOW turn on and tune IN for all the new Eye Candy AND Live Head to head play smile.gif

Seriously

(Maybe there still is an opening in that BTS Marketing Dept. for a Guy with great Idea's like me smile.gif KIDDING!, just having fun with myself, mostly I just have Hair Brain Schemes like that ALL the time and no one in Real Life™ pays much attention to me so I'm not really sure why anyone would take me seriously here either.? smile.gif

BUT Still Laughing smile.gif

Giddy with excitment!

-tom w

Tom,

I second that idea! Make sure the CDs are all packed in the jewel case cover designed by one of our great poster some time ago. (Soory can't remember the name)

However as a software "engineer" in Dilbert-ville , I hate marking guys. biggrin.gif

Griffin -- a break from work....

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

Madmatt

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YESSSSSS! Outstanding! I Love you guys!

I hope that means that the 75 turn PBEM battles I'm in right now can be finished in TCP/IP. Does it? Or will 1.05 games not be compatable with 1.06 games?

------------------

Jeff Abbott