Manual Needs To Be Proofread

Might want to take his posts regaring the manual with a grain of salt.

Read the following thread: http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/010409.html

Summary:

He lost a battle in which the computer picked forces for him, the other side of the PBEM had vet forces when the manual said he shouldn't be able to have them.

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki

Guest barrold713

Good Point

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

Banshee, I read that thread, LOL...

losing against that american OOB...one Panther and a 7.5cm PaK defending versus one measly Sherman and a halftrack!!! pfffffft!

but one point is valid, and I have stated support for this before: why not have the summary of option choices sent to the PBEM partner (erm...enemy) with the first file? this would eliminate the need to manually explain/confirm in the email...

btw the manual is one of the finest I have ever seen in term of typos/spelling...I have the original version but I assume 1.03 isn't that different...the only thing that would enhance it further would be a better index and unit/weapon descriptions /but that's a design desicion)...but even then, I find the manual to be rather good.

[This message has been edited by M Hofbauer (edited 09-12-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

but one point is valid, and I have stated support for this before: why not have the summary of option choices sent to the PBEM partner (erm...enemy) with the first file? this would eliminate the need to manually explain/confirm in the email...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. But in the whole big scheme of things, BTS has done so wonderfully programming (with 2 people!! And the countless people helping design the scnarios and write the manual), it's a very minor point which I'm sure they will address with CM2.

Keep up the great work BTS!

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki

Ok, I just spent an hour with the manual instead of grading my student's tests. What typos? I found two comma splices, but that is usually acceptable in manuals. Martin and Steve seem to have a good grasp of English, they would get an "A" in one of my communications classes. They write better manuals than I do and I am a year away from a PhD in History / Mass Communication with 6 academic publications and 2000 hours of television programming to my credit.

Where are the typos, or am I loosing my grasp of English?

[This message has been edited by Slapdragon (edited 09-12-2000).]

Damn Martin, you are from Germany! I wish I could write in my foriegn languages as well as you write in English (or speak for that matter, my brain refuses to function in other languages anymore). I sound like a pendantic six-year old in Spanish and my French is come se come sa also. It would be wonderful to have a brain that lets you be totally fluent in two languages.

[This message has been edited by Slapdragon (edited 09-12-2000).]

Don't forget that the game is constantly being updated, so the manual will be quickly obsolete. BTS are doing their best to update and correct the manual, but it won't be 100% correct until they stop tweaking the game.

I think it's amazing that they included a manual at all. What you get from most other companies is a mere leaflet, and they still can't get the grammar right.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

Guest Big Time Software

I don't know of any "mistakes" other than we forgot to mention "Fords" in the terrain section. There were, of course, gramatical things that needed some cleaning up. That has been done to a large extent.

The current manual is 1.01, which is noted on the back side of the Cover Page if it is not 1.0. A few things were added from the ReadMe files for 1.01 and 1.02 (when we went to press for the second version), but other than the omission of Fords I am unaware of any mistakes that would affect the game. I am sure there are a few tiny gramatical errors still in there (hey, this ain't no 30 page manual full of pictures smile.gif), but neither manual was "riddled with mistakes".

Steve

P.S. Martin did a kick ass job for someone who speaks English as a 3rd language. Put most American's to shame smile.gif

Moon 3rd level english is better than my 2nd level english. Not such an accolade smile.gif but still frigging superb work. The scary thing is I'm graduataing with BA in Social Anthropology next year smile.gif they're just giving em away now.

------------------

From the jshandorf

"Why don't we compare reality to the game like Bastables likes to do all the time?"

[This message has been edited by Bastables (edited 09-12-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Moon 3rd level english is better than my 2nd level english. Not such an accolade but still frigging superb work. The scary thing is I'm graduataing with BA in Social Anthropology next year they're just giving em away now.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but your a dumb kiwi so that's your excuse.

As for Deadmarsh the Borg found him a little indigestable so BTS sent him one of their 'special' manuals so he would always lose.

Um...in the interests of "truth, justice, and stuff" I feel I need to offer a point of clarification on Deadmarshes position (as I understand it). Whilst it could have perhaps been put a little less aggressively, I believe his original point in the other thread was that his opponent got Veteran troops and that according to the manual this should not have been possible. Hence queries about cheating and other unsavoury stuff which tended to cloud his case somewhat.

I read the other thread, knowing from my many QB thrashings that when "medium quality" is selected for troops, the choice is either "Regular" or "Veteran". For some reason Deadmarsh was not aware of this and checked the manual. And indeed, on page 108 under "Quality" is sayeth "..At medium, only green or regular units can be bought. At high, only veteran, crack, or elite units can be bought."

Mr Deadmarsh reads this, knows his QB was "medium" and can't figure out where the Veteran units came from.

So all other goings on aside, it does appear as if there is a minor correction required to page 108 of the manual (as shipped in June), unless this has already been taken care of.

(Personally I like to buy my own units, keeps the responsibility for my thrashings clearly at my door).

OGSF

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon Fox:

Moon 3rd level english is better than my 2nd level english. Not such an accolade but still frigging superb work. The scary thing is I'm graduataing with BA in Social Anthropology next year they're just giving em away now.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but your a dumb kiwi so that's your excuse.

As for Deadmarsh the Borg found him a little indigestable so BTS sent him one of their 'special' manuals so he would always lose.

Heh the poor wombat lover lost a firefly to one of my PIV Js, he's attempting to re-assert himself through personal attacks.

------------------

From the jshandorf

"Why don't we compare reality to the game like Bastables likes to do all the time?"

Mr T's reply

"Don't touch me FOO!"

Guest Big Time Software

Actually, the manual and the game were both correct when they were bundled together for the first time. However, due to customer requests the code was changed in one of the patches (I forget which one), so this was documented in a ReadMe. Unfortunately, we can't make CDs or manuals on demand, so patch stuff will never be fully reflected in the manual. However, what this has to do with aiding the attacker in winning is beyond me smile.gif

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

OK, probably a good idea to close this one up smile.gif Looks like the Kiwis and Aussies are going at it again. Why they haven't started WWIII yet is beyond me smile.gif

Steve