Desert Texture Tiles Mod

Guest AussieJeff

Guest AussieJeff

Anyone interested in desert battles?

I know I was........so I have modified grass, rough and brush tiles to as best represent the North African desert (at least I HOPE it looks realistic!)

I have created a test scenario called "Death_Valley_Desert" (German vs British) that you might like to try out. Of course you will need to download the tile sets I have made to see the real thing!!

If anyone is at all interested in hosting the desert mod tiles on their site please give me your site and/or e-mail address and I will send the tiles & test scenario asap.

Bit of history: My dad was a forward observer in the 2/17th AIF, 9th Division and he helped map out the El Alamein battlefield (amongst many others in North Africa and New Guinea). He had a front row seat watching the ensuing battle - one of the greatest artillery barrages and tank battles of WW2 - after which the Desert Fox was decidely on the run... smile.gif. He had many stories to tell of the Desert Rats vs the Desert Fox and that inspired me to create these desert textures.

Cheers,

AussieJeff

Now what we need is some Desert tree bases and some Palm tree mods. Think about it....

A single tile of water surrounded by a few scattered trees/bases that are palm trees with a bit of that weedy palmy undergrowth, and WHALLA, you've got yourself, an oasis.

On another note, AussieJeff, CM3 will be the Mediterranean Theatre including North Africa, Italy and the Balkans.

CM2 will be the Eastern Front.

------------------

"We're not gonna just shoot the bastards`, we're gonna cut out their living guts, and use them to grease the treads of our tanks."

"We're going to murder those lousey hun bastards by the buschel."

"The Nazis are the enemy, wade into them,

spill their blood, shoot them in the belly."

"We are not holding our position, let the hun do that."

"We are advancing constantly, we are not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy."

"We're gonna hold onto him by the nose, and we're gonna kick him in the ass."

"We're gonna kick the hell out of him all the time, and we're going to go through him like crap through a goose."--George S. Patton

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 12-05-2000).]

Guest AussieJeff

Heh Heh smile.gif

Don't forget the sinking sand drifts!!!

I've forwarded the low-res desert texture tiles to Matt at CMHQ (includes trees / bases/rough ground and shrubs). The Hi-res textures are done but will take a little while to upload to Matt's site - my crappy 56k modem is smokin' man!! Hopefully he will like 'em and post 'em up shortly!! wink.gif

If you get them and want to create your own scenarios, I would suggest you mainly use the rough ground/open ground/brush/stone wall texture tools in the editor for the best "desert look" results.

It took me quite a few hours of experimenting with the new textures in my "DEATH_VALLEY_DESERT" test scenario which I have also uploaded to CMHQ smile.gif (Note: this was created using the latest CM Ver 1.1)

So far I have only played about 10 turns as the Allies - (have fun with the initial Arty / mortar barrage!!) I'm looking forward to having a go with those nifty 88's!!!

Hope you like it if you try it! smile.gif

Now, anyone got some palm trees and camels???

Heh wink.gif

AussieJeff

Guest AussieJeff

Hi Maximus,

Thanks for the CM3 info!!

I do remember reading a post on that somwewhere and that triggered me (so to speak smile.gif) into action - I canna wait tha long, man!! smile.gif

I have no doubt whatsoever given BTS's effort to date that CM3 will blow my puny texture mod efforts into the weeds - and I look hungrily forward to seeing that. wink.gif

Cheers,

AussieJeff

Hi all!

I've been working on a scenario that is a bathtubbed (and off date) version of a battle that took place in the desert 1942.

(Elements of) 3rd Indian motor brigade

vs.

(Elements of) Ariete and the 5th Panzerdivision

I'm not sure it will be very playable though. frown.gif At least the victory has to be evaluated manually. The Indians are supposed to be wiped out, the question is how fast and at what cost to DAK.

Cheers

Olle

Guest AussieJeff

I've just finished uploading all of my Desert texture bmp's and test scenario to Matt at CMHQ.

Hopefully it won't be too long before they are available from the new "untested mods" section!

Any feedback in this thread on what you chaps think of these textures if you try 'em out would be appreciated smile.gif

Cheers for now..

AussieJeff

Hey AussieJeff where are you located within Australia out of plain interest ? I'm from Perth but on the move to Geraldton soon.

I would be very keen to have a look at your tile set and Scenario. Do you play much PBEM maybe we can hook up for a game of your new desert scen. if you wish to playtest.

Hopefully hear from you soon.

Guest AussieJeff

OOOps.......

Sorry, MikeT smile.gif

Ya never know.....your effort may just be better than mine...I will be interested to see your modifications if you continue with them smile.gif.

Cheers,

AJ

AussieJeff, sir nothing to apologize for. Certainly it is possible that between the two of us the gaming public might pick and choice what looks the best. Saddly I most likely won't get mine finished, got minor terrain changes and scenarios to finish (which is my week point) to do, until beginning of January. If your is finished first hey great for you and I wish you luck.

MikeT

It's an interesting and good project, but there is a little problem.

If you made the terrain tiles, the trees, and the house mods, there should be new vehicles too. The PzIV no problem, PzII culd be converted from the Lynx, but what about the PzIII? And the Matilda II? There is no 3D model for them!

Guest AussieJeff

Indeed Jesse!!! smile.gif

Oh well........one small step for man......etc hehe

Maybe over Xmas / New Year and beyond somebody will design some REAL NICE DESERT CAMO for all vehicles. I haven't as yet re-colored the houses (they generally need to be whitewashed!!) smile.gif

I also like the idea of all these mods being asvailable from one site - how about Matt's at CMHQ - he has a new untested mods section that we can link into??

Any takers?? heh

Xmas Cheer to all and sundry,

(LittleAussieBleeder)Jeff

wink.gif

Hey. Neat idea...

Are you guys moding sand? Change the snow tile sets for 'deep sand'. It will give the movement restrictions and can give you alternate tiles for more visual destinction. Then we can have sandstorms too... biggrin.gif

Have not seen any of the tiles done to date. Do they model specific desert terrain types?

My off the cuff type crosses would be: 'grass' -> hardpan/bedrock; 'brush' -> desert style brush; 'rough' -> waddies/big piles of boulders; 'scattered trees' -> scattered boulders with some trees; 'swamp' -> small oasis/seep with some trees and brush; 'woods' -> some (more) trees and bigger boulders - same as scattered trees with more and bigger; 'tall pines' -> palms and under growth; 'stone wall' -> loose pile of rocks; 'hedge' -> hedge of thorn bushes; 'bocage' -> tall adobe type wall - allied tanks should not be able to drive through them though wink.gif; 'water' -> water I guess... I can't see big rivers of quicksand:P

The buildings could be ver' cool too. Small stable like thing. A shop with only half the walls (invisable pink ones that is), an awning over some counters with piles of stuff around the edge. A moorish style coffee house. A nice large 2 story job with shops below and frowsy linen drying above...

Hmmph. Guess I'll need to fire up the old PhotoShop tonight.

Cheers

------------------

"What are we going to do tonight Brain?"

"The same thing we do every night Pinkey... We're going to take over Europe!"

• 1 month later...

Deanco, now you know how I felt about your mods. BTS, Clubfoot worked out a rather nicely done desertified control panels for the game screen. He did a good job here. Give us a little more time here. Audace is getting up to speed on the Italian speech files for the Italian units. I need to get my ass in gear again to figure out the mod manager which is critical to this mod. Clubfoot is doing a great job finishing the terrain files that I started and started crudely at that.

Now my next task will be to work out the Pacific. I found someone that will translate phrases to Japanese and even to Russian/Ukrainian. So I got to figure out the uniforms which is a problem for me. Maybe someone with that experience will volunteer to work up some Imperial Japanese Army/Marine uniforms plus USMC.

MikeT