Panzer IV in CMBO: Workhorse or Toast?

Guest grunto

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the MkIV all the time and the only thing that I don't like about it is the same thing I don't like about ALL German tanks- slow turret speed. The varying turret speeds that BTS has modeled really adds an element of terror to the game. Nothing like having a TD ambush you on a flank, miss and watch the slow rotation of the MkIV's turret as they line up on you again.

------------------

When one goes tear-assing around, one often ends up with a torn ass.

Let me see if I understand this stuff. Being more serious you either have to be self disciplined, or play a scenario?

But while fooling around you can mix and match both British and American equipment.

OK I can handle that. So where does it end? Can someone make like "Chickamauga '44" with Sherman's on both sides? Interesting bit of historical naming that isn't it?

How about "Revolt in the Reich" with Panthers on both sides?

Damn, now I'm counting the days. Four. Will Christmas *ever* arrive!

-

I can see it now. An American tank crew talks up to a British tank. The British tank crew is sipping hot tea.

"Hi," the American tank commander says.

"Cheers"

"Yea look. We just found out that our 75mm gun can hurt a Panther unless we're suicidally close to it. Can we borrow your FireFly for a couple of days? We'll put a full tank of gas in it when we return it"

Silence

"No? How about a couple of chocolate bars? AND this month's issue of Life?"

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Jasper,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Let me see if I understand this stuff. Being more serious you either have to be self disciplined, or play a scenario?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but you can also set up Quick Battles that restrict you to a specific nationality. It is a choice made a game setup.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>But while fooling around you can mix and match both British and American equipment. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, as well as mixing and matching various branches of German formations. i.e. you can have Fallschirmjägers with Gebirgsjågers and Waffen SS troops all supported by some happless Volkssturm smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>OK I can handle that. So where does it end? Can someone make like "Chickamauga '44" with Sherman's on both sides? Interesting bit of historical naming that isn't it?

How about "Revolt in the Reich" with Panthers on both sides?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it is not possible to play one side against itself.

Hope Santa thinks you have been a good boy this year smile.gif

Thanks,

Steve

Well, from reading all these posts, maybe the Mk.IV isn't as pathetic as I thought. I just have incredibly bad luck nearly every time I use them; within the first few turns of a game they are knocked out. Guess I'll have to make them hide and skulk around like Shermans.. smile.gif

------------------

Ob's stürmt oder schneit, ob die Sonne uns lacht, der Tag glühend heiß oder eiskalt die Nacht, bestaubt sind die Gesichter, doch froh ist unser sinn, ja unser sinn, es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin

-- Panzerlied

Well, Mk. IV is really alright at range > 600m against average Allied tank (especially Sherman and variants).

"South to Sword Beach" senario illustrates this point very well. Most of my Mk.IV lose to Allied Air power! frown.gif I lost 2 Mk.IV to at least 10 Shermans and Fireflies. Most of them are KO'ed > 800m

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>From Steve:

The thing about Panthers is that they have fairly weak side armor. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Problem was, the 57mm AT that took out my two panthers was to their front. They both had turrets turned due to flanking enemy infantry. The 57mm AT was still able to knock out both Panthers by side turret hits, which I thought was still pretty well armored and sloped. Manned with a crack crew and about 500 meters, the 57mm AT is very deadly in CM and well worth the cost.

Of course, once spotted, my other tanks made quick work of it. Especially the hiding and now appearing Wespe. Never in a game have I loved the anti-infantry vehicles as much as I do in CM. What the heck, never have I loved infantry as much as I do in CM.

Oops, we are talking Mk-IV here. Yea, seems like a tank made of cardboard to me too.

Try this, a meeting engagement of four Mk-IVs and four 37mm Stuarts. All average. I find the Stuarts winning every single time. Its very tough to come out on top with the Mk-IVs, especially due to close ranges. The faster firing Stuarts get some bounced off shots, but not many. If you can't engage at long distances with the Mk-IVs, your toast.

MKIV…upgunned cardboard tank..or giant slayer!

UnterFeldwebel Ernst Zimmler (shown exaiming the left track of his trusty MkIV) was interviewed by Signal Magazine following his famous encounter with the French Capital Ship “S.S. Merde”. When asked by Signal what he intended to do next Zimmler Responded:

“Ich gehe zu Disneyland”.

MKIV_and_battleship.jpg

By performance, PzIV is just about the same as M10 tank destroyer, only with

a good load of MG ammo and HE.

But to not praise it too much, I really hate the damn cardboard assasin! frown.gif

Everytime I use one, someone breaths at it and it falls to pieces.

I'll rather take JagdpanzerIV anytime, suits my style better. (point and click) smile.gif

One thing about the 57mm (6 pounder) Steve forgot to mention (too obvious?), it's a better

AT weapon than Sherman's 75mm.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Duquette:

MKIV…upgunned cardboard tank..or giant slayer!

UnterFeldwebel Ernst Zimmler (shown exaiming the left track of his trusty MkIV) was interviewed by Signal Magazine following his famous encounter with the French Capital Ship “S.S. Merde”. When asked by Signal what he intended to do next Zimmler Responded:

“Ich gehe zu Disneyland”.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!

I play Allies and last night I had a game where 2 of my Shermans targeted a Panzer IV at medium range and proceeded to bounce shells off the upper hull for about 5 or 6 rounds until the Panzer IV crew began to wonder what all the noise was about and promptly blew the c*** out of them.

[This message has been edited by Stealth (edited 12-21-2000).]

As to all the hype about the 57mm AT gun. Last night I watched as my opponent bounced about 20 shots off my Panther at about 100 meters. That is until the 20mm Flak gun I had took out the 57mm AT gun. I was not impressed but it was fun to watch. wink.gif

As I always like to say... The sun will always shine on a dogs ass now and then.

For every weapon there is a certain situtation where its effectiveness can be maximized. Sometimes you get that situtation, sometimes you don't.

Jeff

Jeff

------------------

I once killed a six pack just to watch it die.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Captitalistdoginchina

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT (Move it or Lose it)

Now that the scenario has been mentioned in earlier posts i shall continue. I am the Allied Opponent of "Sensible Toad" who posted earlier in this thread.

I am a bit late to chip in on this one - but going back to the original question/statement about Mark 1V's i have to say "Move it or Lose it" changed my opinion of the Mark 1V as well as the Stuart. I thought both tanks sucked......

Those Mark 1V's withstood my air attacks, many bazooka frontal hits, 2 close infantry assaults, mortar attacks (5 top hits) and an attack by the M10's and Stuarts.

I finally managed to knock one out with a 60mm mortar top hit (The 6th top hit)and the second was taken out by a stuart at about 80 meters after a fast flanking move.

Anyone doubting their performance should try that scenario.

The Stuarts perform so well in the opening sequences and what amazes me is their ammo load out - they can keep firing continuously for the duration of the game and still have some left at the end (Both MG and main gun ammo. Their frontal armour, speed, mobility, ROF and turret speed is an advantage if you can use them right.

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

What I realy like about MIOLI was how, at the end, both sides have fought it out, and are lying, spent, on the field of battle.

Then that flight of B-24s comes over and carpet bombs the whole area, killing everything and everyone. That was cool! Really illustrated the futility of war...

Jeff Heidman<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Curse you, sir, for a bounder! And the Devil take Marky Marks remaining armor...

------------------

Ethan

-----------

"We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech." -- Dr. Kathleen Dixon, Director of Women's Studies, Bowling Green State University