Close Combat blows chunks compared to this

I was bored on Saturday and wanted to download a game. I am not a _diehard_ strategy wargamer but I like games like close combat, warcraft, aoe,civ, old turn based stuff .. Anyways, after downloading this game and getting addicted to it, I could NOT go back to games like close combat and AOE. God, do they suck now! I downloaded Close Combat 3 or something and played it like 2 minutes.. The 3d thing makes a HUGE difference in my opinion. Seeing your 3 infantry groups ambush enemy troops up close is awesome! The choice to make this turn base is def right. I can't go back to CC after this!

Are there problems ordering this from Norway or am I gonna get the game in like 2 years or something..

------------------

The UI isn't finished yet, but if it was, you'd see something here, here, and here. Then you'b be saying, I gotta get me some'a dat.

Dilbert

Hi buddy, just follow the instructions that BTS has for ordering. Soon you will be one with the collective. Welcome to our world.

As for close combat, their CD makes a great beer coaster.

sniperscope

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>When CM arrived, all other land based war games became crap.

sniperscope<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome!

I live in Sweden and it took about 2-3 weeks. But back then the game was out of stock also so that might have added a few days. Awesome game BTW, a must have! You've got to try PBEMing, that's where the real fun is.

------------------

Fire for effect!

CC is still unrivaled in its ability to portray/model the immediacy etc. of combat between small infantry units/single soldiers. As much as CM is spectacular modeling tanks and introducing the 3D, which overall makes it a more sophisticated, in-depth game over CC, it cannot - obviously not because that is not it's aim - show individual infantry combat like CC can.

Again, I think you cannot really compare the two. I am not trying to convince anybody of anything or defend cc, but I find it ridiculous when people who cannot tell a PAW 600 from a PWK 8 H 63 are doing their usual "oh I am such a MATURE hardcore GROG, _I_ am playing CM, and CC is for little RTS kiddies, I am too OLD and WISE for such a silly little game". They are two different games, two very nice games, and each in his own right.

------------------

"Say i think u all need to chill out." (GAZ_NZ)

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

You guys are crazy. Close Combat 5 comes out in 3 days!! Combat mission is dead. After CC5 comes out no one will ever play CM again. This forum will be dead as soon as CC5 hits the store shelves. NOT! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Johnson, you are so genuinely funny. Hell, the corner of my mouth almost twitched into a smile. Almost! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

What is this creation of an artificial rivalry between the I-play-CM-now-oh-I-am-so-grognardish CM and CC wargamers?

Again, the two games do not hurt each other. CC5 will obviously not harm the CM sales. People who play CM might pick up cc5 and have fun with it or not, according to their personal tastes. Some die-hard CC players might have wandered into the CM camp and enjoy it, but I think most of them will like CC5 again, too.

------------------

"Say i think u all need to chill out." (GAZ_NZ)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>What is this creation of an artificial rivalry between the I-play-CM-now-oh-I-am-so-grognardish CM and CC wargamers?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I thought once I started playing CM and liking it a lot that I wouldn't go back to Close Combat. For awhile I was right. But then I got the itch to play something real time and I found I still like CC2 (except for trying to get those damn tanks where you want them to go.)

You really can't compare the two. In fact, I think they compliment each other quite nicely. I think I'll be playing CM a lot more than CC, but when I want to play a full game in an hour or two or I'm just yearning for real time, I can turn to CC.

I think if anything, CM and all its mods have gotten me interested in the Real Red mods for Close Combat. I plan to check those out and somehow find the time to play both CM and CC.

------------------

Everything in moderation...except CM.

Youve have to get Real Red it makes the game much better. I still like CC3 and CC4 YEAH I SAID IT! smile.gif .But I find CM to be much more challenging and enjoyable. Like was said before they are 2 different beasts.

[This message has been edited by Jagdwyrm (edited 09-27-2000).]

Just ordered my copy.. smile.gif (Please get here.. please get here.. smile.gif

I understand what you are saying as it pertains to CC and CM being two different games, both being good in there own right (though I think CC is hershey squirtable compared to CM) but I think it is not unreasonable to compare them. The commands list is strikingly similar. The map sizes are close too. Although one is turns based and the other real time, the ultimate vision seems to be the same, to portray squad level combat up close. BTW: CC(3? Russian?) makes tanks tooooo strong. Whats the use with infantry in that game.

ex. with CM.. On the demo, theres a scenario called skirmish with the Germans or something.. I played the germans one game. My tanks (Stugs or something) got taken out very very early and the allied forces had like 4 shermans rolling around. I moved all my infantry into the forest where the tanks couldn't see me and ambushed allied squads as they entered the forest. I slowly crept back into the game, took out there tanks one by one and won.. Thats not to say you _can't_ do that in CC, but, it seems in CC, if your side has tanks and theirs doesn't, you win.

Question: In the full version of CM, can you turn off the *turns*. IOW, can you make it so games last until one side is defeated instead of say 40 turns?

------------------

The UI isn't finished yet, but if it was, you'd see something here, here, and here. Then you'b be saying, I gotta get me some'a dat.

Dilbert

Hei Dilbert! smile.gif

Always good to meet another norse! We're quite a few here now.

And nope, you can't turn of the turn option, but surrender is possible (i.e. when you beat the living [beeeeep] out of the AI on turn 8 it will surrender instead of continue to run around in circles for the rest of the game).

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason why, our's is but to do and die!

I must admit, I don't understand the need to trash CC. Before CM there was nothing even remotely close to offering what it had. It was as revolutionary to the genre in its time, as CM is now. Besides, though they share many aspects, they ARE different games. I will buy CC5 even though I didn't really enjoy CC4. The series has provided me with endless hours of enjoyable gameplay. For that they

have earned my respect and a little loyalty.

I'm glad to see that some of you agree! (M Hofbauer, Col Deadmarsh, Jagdwyrm.)

Dilger

HAWK: I live in Norway but I'm American. You can still be glad to see me though smile.gif !

I'm not intentionally trashing CC, I'm just expressing my opinion, which might be trashing .. umm.. well anyways.. CM ROCKS!

wink.gif

------------------

Dilbert

Ok, you know when your going to the bathroom, number 2.. Ok, picture this, you just had a huge beef stew dinner and it didn't sit well.. Your starting to feel queazy.. dizzy.. you sit on the toilet and..

there u go!

------------------

Dilbert

CC was a lot of fun for its time, but to be honest it now seems hopelessly outdated. I think that the engine, and to some degree the graphics, have gotten progressively worse since CC2. I mean, the tank models in CC2 I thought were much sharper looking and stood out against the background much better than in CC3 and 4. I certainly don't feel like I wasted my money on those games, and for a while they were some of the better games around, especially with the RealPara and Real Red mods, but my feeling is that with CM around, I don't really need or want to spend my change on further incarnations of the series.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Johnson-<THC>-:

You guys are crazy. Close Combat 5 comes out in 3 days!! Combat mission is dead. After CC5 comes out no one will ever play CM again. This forum will be dead as soon as CC5 hits the store shelves. NOT! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

heh.. hur hur... you make me laugh.. I kill you last.

-------

"sticks and stones may brake my bones, but your Tiger can't hurt m...."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JeffC:

Off topic ...

What exactly is the origin of the phrase "blows chunks"? I've heard it a number of times (in the U.K.) but have been afraid to ask ...

Ta.

Jeff.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well jeff blowing chunks refers to those bite sized morsels from that burger you ate before going on say a drinking fest. Naturaly after becomming quite intoxicated (drunk as a skunk - dont ask me how a skunk can get drunk it's another saying) you may Hurl (Blow, throw-up). Naturaly that burger comes with the package in "chunks" thus the saying blowing chunks.

Well class I hope you are totaly discusted now and never want to eat a burger before drinking unless you want to see those "chunks".

-Prof. Stupid

[This message has been edited by mensch (edited 09-28-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ScaryTortoise:

Question: In the full version of CM, can you turn off the *turns*. IOW, can you make it so games last until one side is defeated instead of say 40 turns?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Each side has a "morale" rating that's displayed along with the "victory" rating. As you lose units the morale rating goes down. When it gets <20% your troops will surrender, ending the game.

Some may want to fight it out to the last man, but I think it's reasonable to expect real men to surrender if beaten up that badly... yes I know there are exceptions but this prevents situations where an opponent (AI or human) may have one wimpering squad left hiding in a corner somewhere dragging the game out.

------------------

“Fortune favors the brave" - Terence

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Progressively worse ... hmmmm ... you mean like this:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never said in all respects, and pointed out one specific example (tank sprites). I'll agree that the maps have become prettier. And in any case, I still think CM's got CC beat wink.gif

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Progressively worse ... hmmmm ... you mean like this:

This is a perfect example of the contrast between CC and CM. Look at this picture. Looks nice, but the units are barely discernible in the backdrop. And when I can see them, I stare at the tops of they're heads (the zoom feature is worthless because of pixelation)! This kinda disconnects me from the fighting. The only fun I have with CC now (I say now because like most of you, I own CC and CC2 on cd and have had fun with them in the past) is focusing in on a nice strong tank unit and seeing how many kills I can make without getting knocked out.

------------------

Dilbert

Guest MikeToth

CM is the best wargame out there bar none,

(we all know the reasons), but if you want some 2D fun, try that Steel Panthers World

at War (SPWaW) over at:

www.matrixgames.com

Our own Wild Bill Wilder created ALOT of the scenarios, and best of all, the game is FREE!!!... now you could download it (350 MEG) .... but if you did like I (my 56K modem would take forever to download that baby), I placed a request for a CD version of it on there forum page and got a copy within a week... it too is great fun, I find it a cross between CC and TOAW, ....... but

CM is still Tops in my book....

Mike

Cleveland Ohio

I dig CC, but what ticks me off is the people who put it together.

For instance, the MG42 and other weapons are listed as firing 9mm. The MG34 sound is used when firing the MG42. Some scenarios are tank-heavy, defeating the purpose of CC being a light/heavy sim.

But my biggest beef is this: THEY STILL HAVEN'T COVERED THE PACIFIC WAR! You figured the PTO was as close combat as you could get, but nooooooo, they're going back to Normandy again. I think they are doing that to appeal to a broader audience with SPR still fresh in the back of their minds.

And yes, I know there's a PTO mod for CC, but still . . .

Peace,

MCab