Combat Mission and FSAA (V5 5500)

Boy don't I wish this was a review smile.gif

It occurred to me that the release of CM is just about the same time that we'll see the release of the 3dfx V5 5500 and Full Screen Anti Aliasing. Now the graphics in CM are fantastic but I'm wondering what, if any, the effect of FSAA will be to enhance them. I've seen the screen shots of what they do for Falcon4, now if they do that for CM as well (Drool).....

See you in the bocage,

Kevin

[This message has been edited by kverdon (edited 04-17-2000).]

[This message has been edited by kverdon (edited 04-17-2000).]

Hmmm,

FSAA (Full Screen Anti-Aliasing) is a way to oversample a video image and get rid of the "blockiness or jaggies" you see in a 3d image. The V5 5500 will allow 4x FSAA at 800x600 and 2x at 1024x768. I'm seen some say that 640x480 with 4x FSAA looks better than 1024x768 without it. Here is a link I got from SimHQ.

http://www.systemlogic.net/articles/00/04/12/

Kevin

Voodoo4 can't do the T-buffer effects (soft shadows, motion blur, etc) but I think it can do FSAA. Though the performance hit might be a bit high. Unfortunately, there aren't any reviews yet, so I can't say for sure.

3dfx has a bit of info in their FAQs:

http://www.3dfx.com/

They also have links to various previews that have some screen shots.

I'm pretty sure the Voodoo5 can do FSAA (2x and 4x) in any res. It just depends on how much of a performance hit you want to take.

- Chris

[This message has been edited by Wolfe (edited 04-18-2000).]

Last thing I heard,

The VooDoo4 will have no FSAA for the reasons mentioned.

2x means double oversampling (i.e. two pictures are rendered on top of each other to get a smoother whole) which in turn means half speed for the card.

4x four times (4 pictures rendered) and quarter speed.

The VooDoo4 isn’t fast enough to be able to effectively absorb that kind of performance hit.

The VooDoo5500 on the other hand is supposed to deliver 32 bit colour with 4x FSAA in 1024x768 resolution at about the same speed as a VooDoo3 3000 does 16 bit none FSAA in the same resolution now.

Which means that it should be four times faster than a VooDoo3 3000 when not running any FSAA at all...

This is a simplified way of putting it and speed is a relative thing in graphics cards but this was the gist of it. I guess we will see in a few weeks how well it works.

Oh, and this is harware FSAA, not to be compared with the software solutions used curretnly by NVidia.

M.

[This message has been edited by Mattias (edited 04-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Mattias (edited 04-19-2000).]

I also read that nVidia is about to release it's newest set of drivers (Detonator v5.02)for the TNT2 which will enable FSAA for said cards.

Also read that enabling FSAA will be a colassal cycle hog, so ya better have a fast CPU in order to handle the extra load...

Von Lucke,

Yep, unlike the 3DFX cards where the FSAA is setup on Hardware, the Nvida FSAA is a software solution. This can really eat up CPU cycles. Also it uses a different form of FSAA where it renders the imaage your looking at to something like 1600x1200 and then re-renders it down to the resolution your currently at. It also, being a software/driver solution is not as compatible with existing software as 3dfx

s hardware solution. As I understand it you can toggle FSAA on/off on the 3dfx cards on the fly.

Kevin

Has anyone heard about the availability of drivers for the Voodoo 4/5 under Win2k?

I am extremely dissapointed in 3dfx's Win2k support for my Voodoo 3 3000 right now (no support, and one release of unsupported beta drivers...), and unless they come out and say they are supporting Win2k fully with these new cards, I will not purchase one.

I like the capabilites, and the reported performance, but I need my Win2k support! smile.gif

There's a Q and A forum specifically for the new Voodoo cards over at Hot Hardware. Alf is a 3dfx tech support and is answering questions there. Sorry for the hellacious URL.

Hot Hardware

I noticed this bit, which contradicts my assertion that the Voodoo4 can do FSAA:

http://www.hothardware.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000026.html

Sorry 'bout that.

- Chris

[edit:] Trying to shorten URL

[This message has been edited by Wolfe (edited 04-19-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Wolfe (edited 04-19-2000).]