Help Needed Before I Launch My *Unique* CM Website

Sure thing, right.

Almost all who have been reading your posts for the past couple weeks have noticed the way you present yourself. Your constant trolling and now you have chosen the BS path and toned down remarks. It doesn’t fly. You are not taken seriously.

Will you schmucks stick to the topic at hand? Or at least the sub topic that involves why some people took offense at the first post?

Quoth Master Bates sig:

"Quality, wholesome family viewing brought to you by Master Bates and Seaman Staines."

Taken together with the name, this sig indicates that Master Bates makes reference to masterbation, and the sig makes reference to ejaculation. Please try to pay attention people.

BTW, it's a moot point since you prudes forced him to change his name. Why is it you can stick a SS in your name and not draw fire, but god forbid you mention sex and suddenly it's a moral issue? Is there something more moral about pretending to gun down men in a game, or associating yourself with those wacky guys who slaughtered millions in Europe, than with mentioning sex or sex acts?

I mean, christ, it's not like his sig posted a picture illustarting the "hidden" meaning in his name.

Pham911,

You seem to think that we on the CM forum must choose between accepting either provocative sex or "SS" style posters. Why? Why should we accept either one of them, or any other offensive handles? BTS runs the board, but the community sets the standards by speaking up.

Thoughtful contributors are taken seriously by others regarding military matters, game-related humor, etc. So far, I have not seen any persons using intentionally provocative handles who have given the forum useful information or entertainment.

M. Bates,

Thank you for considering the distracting nature of your previous handle and changing to a new one. Perhaps from now on your posts will be evaluated on their merits only. Cheers.

------------------

You have the right to remain silent.

Anything you say can be used against you....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lawyer:

Pham911,

You seem to think that we on the CM forum must choose between accepting either provocative sex or "SS" style posters. Why? Why should we accept either one of them, or any other offensive handles? BTS runs the board, but the community sets the standards by speaking up.

Thoughtful contributors are taken seriously by others regarding military matters, game-related humor, etc. So far, I have not seen any persons using intentionally provocative handles who have given the forum useful information or entertainment.

M. Bates,

Thank you for considering the distracting nature of your previous handle and changing to a new one. Perhaps from now on your posts will be evaluated on their merits only. Cheers.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well....

No.

I'm not talking about that weasel who posted all the SS photo crap recently(and was rightfully banned because of it) because Master Bates didn't post any photos. There are quite a few members here with SS in thier names who do post good info, don't try to offend people, and generally act like civilized humans. However, nobody asks them to change thier names to suit some etheral ethics concept that springs from god knows where here.

Who in the community here makes the descision that a psudonym is offensive? The loudest? The most offended? The majority(<----This is *never* the right answer...)?

I didn't find Master Bates nick offensive at all. I have a 10 year old stepson who plays CM and reads the board, and it doesn't worry me at all that he may happen upon this name.

More to the point, the poster wasn't making an attempt at offering the form "useful information or entertainment", but was asking a question. What does his choice of nicks have to do with the question? And, why do people feel compelled to answer with the equvillent of "I don't have an answer, but let me tell you something pal"? Pretty aragont if you ask me.

And as for this comment you directed to Master Bates: "Perhaps from now on your posts will be evaluated on their merits only. Cheers."...

Why the hell would the posts be evaluated on anything else, regardless of his name? Does his choice of nicks really have anything to do with the content of his question(which was a very simple, "do you know where I can find X" type question). Do people know or not know where to find the scripts he asked for dependant on his choice for a handle? That raises a whole host of epistimological issues if that's the case....

Hey Pham, you're blowing this way out of proportion. The name was found offensive by a number of people and Bates wasn't being taken seriously because of it. He changed it to be a nice guy, not because it was beat into him. He never had to change it so don't act like we made him change it.

------------------

Did someone compare this to the Ealing comedies? I've shot people for less.

-David Edelstein

First impressions are everything, an unfortunate social truth.

I commend M. Bates for his very mature decision to be the gentleman we KNEW he wanted to be.

Our society is full of the Outrageous, and M. Bates is a much as victim of this as any of us.

We can, and M. Bates proves it, all act like decent gentleman and ladies (whichever is applicable) and the attractive luster of our wargaming community can shine yet brighter. If we want the fine games like CM to be made available to us, then it should be a duty of all satisfied CMers to be professional and friendly so that we can be an attractive haven for many more yet to be discovered wargamers,and so that the discovered can enjoy new gaming experiences in the future.

I applaud you M. Bates, you may yet be assimilated.

Well, break out the flags and start waving 'em.

I love it when people force other to capitulate to the pressures they exert, then applaude the person who gives in for "deciding" to change his mind all on his own. They are "mature" in thier descisions when they finally cave like children, yet are immature if they hold up to your pressures.

You harp and bitch about trivial issues and refuse to answer legitimate questions unless they give up thier traits that you dislike(read: tantrum).

You should be proud that you've forced someone to act more like you, as that's what has made the human race so great. Everyone acting like you.

Sure, I was just interested in utilizing it for a little more, kinda like a shell around CM with ICQ as a stop-gap TCP/IP. Just wondering how ICQ works, from a technical sense.

------------------

Did someone compare this to the Ealing comedies? I've shot people for less.

-David Edelstein

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pham911:

Well, break out the flags and start waving 'em.

I love it when people force other to capitulate to the pressures they exert, then applaude the person who gives in for "deciding" to change his mind all on his own. They are "mature" in thier descisions when they finally cave like children, yet are immature if they hold up to your pressures.

You harp and bitch about trivial issues and refuse to answer legitimate questions unless they give up thier traits that you dislike(read: tantrum).

You should be proud that you've forced someone to act more like you, as that's what has made the human race so great. Everyone acting like you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pham,

Is my signature acceptable?

------------------

Pham911 is an asshole

M Bates, are you British?

I know the name episode thing is over. But for everyones info -

The thing is M. Bates took his handle from a character a very long running well known children's programme in the UK called "Captain Pugwash".

Believe it or not the names of crude character names "M******Bates" and "S***** Stains" were not noticed for many years and when this did come to public attention it was laughed off quite light heartedly by the British Public young and old. Of course, because most of the posters here are residing in the US, you wouldn't have heard of it.

I'm not trying defend him, but he probably thought that such an inside joke (as lame as it is) might be well known to many of the posters. I doubt that M.Bates meant to cause offence or outrage.

Anyway it's over.

IPA

Guest Big Time Software

Cripes! Would certain people posting to this thread GROW UP!

First of all, there is a significant difference between lurid, percieved "immature" nicknames and practically anything else. People don't start posting Nazi crap when an SS nick is used (one exception, and he is GONE!), but people do start reverting to 8-12 year old "hummor". This is the type of behavior we do not want here, right along side of Flaming and waaaay off topic posts. This is place to exchange ideas, and constant posting about "pee-pees" and "ka-ka" is NOT consistant with that. It is that simple.

Steve