TacOps 4 sneak peek page

Moon

Sorry. No new scenarios.

I was going to do some in March as well as some new scenario editing features but I ended up at Fort Knox for four weeks doing onsite supprt. When I got back I started on them again but almost immediately got interrupted with another Army task.

Once I got that done, I realized that it was going to take the rest of the summer and probably into the fall to produce a new set of scenarios and maps. There is a good chance that I will get another military contract before that which would once again put the hobby version on the back burner. My best guess was that I had to either get v4 out in June or just give up on the hobby version.

TacOps v4 is effectively finished except for final testing and a brief cool down period. I am still adding some no-risk details but that is mainly to give me something to do while I wait for one full week to pass with no report from the testers of any replicatible bug. Shortly after that happens the Battlefront warehouse will have copies on the shelf.

I think tonight is the official end of sales for v3. The remaining copies of v3 at the warehouse are supposed to be retired tomorrow.

That should help me focus on the task at hand smile.gif .

[ May 30, 2002, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: MajorH ]

Another newbie question here.

On that Sneak Peak page the game is shown being played on a real map, and it looks very good. Is that something that will be playable against the AI, or is all of that sort of stuff (topographic maps, aerial photos etc) just stuff you can play in custom built head to head games?

> On that Sneak Peak page the game is shown being played on a

> real map, and it looks very good. Is that something that

> will be playable against the AI, or is all of that sort of

> stuff (topographic maps, aerial photos etc) just stuff you

> can play in custom built head to head games?

Currently the "real" maps are only used in human vs human games.

Rich,

As stated, the Major does not do sales pitches ... I however, do. :D And I am mostly a solitare player.

TacOps v4 will have hundreds of new units! In single player mode this means you can exchange OPFOR weapon/unit types to give yourself a whole new challange. The same scenarios, against an upgraded, modern enemy will put all our abilities to a new test.

Question on the docs: are they basically the same as those in TacOpsCav? I have access to that through work, but as I plan on buying TacOps4 too I thought I'd try to jump the gun by taking the doc files down to the local Kinkos clone for printing and binding. I don't want to do that, though, if there are going to be changes between Cav and 4.

I suggest that you wait for the release.

The last thing that I want to do is mess with the new TacOpsCav /TacOps v4 user guide but there could be some things appear at the last minute that merit adding some paragraphs or pages here and there.

Drat ... your question has already caused me to remember several significant features that have been added since the user guide was rewritten in January.

"Drat ... your question has already caused me to remember several significant features that have been added since the user guide was rewritten in January."

That's me, trouble maker!

'nother question I forgot to ask: will TacOps4 have both Mac & Windows versions on the same CD (like TacOps3)? I got one of the new iMacs a couple of months ago, and it would be nice if I could play the game on it but also on my Windows laptop. Also, how happy will 4 be with OS X?

> will TacOps4 have both Mac & Windows versions on the same CD

> (like TacOps3)?

Yes.

> how happy will 4 be with OS X?

v4 will probably not be OS X native for at least another six months to a year.

I don't have any reports of problems with OS9 Classic Mode under OSX.

Otherwise ...

OS 8.5 through 9.x - no reported OS problems.

Earlier versions of OS 8.x - untested and unknown - probably OK.

Mac OS 7.6 through 7.x - untested and unknown - probably not OK.

Mac OS 7.5 and earlier - untested and unknown - should not work.

>The pictures in the sneak peek page, are those guys Canadian?

Yes. I have a warm spot for the Canadian Army. The licensing contract for TacOpsCF v2 and v3 helped me out at a particularly rough time.

However, they haven't done anything for me lately smile.gif . I'm not making much headway with getting them to upgrade their license to v4 but then again I haven't tried very hard yet.

Originally posted by Commissar:

Sorry for my ignorance, but is it safe to assume you can actually play OPFOR in TacOps 4? I didn't see anything mentioned on the homepage.

The limit that the programmed opponent can only play one side has not fallen in 4.x.

However, since you can freely submit one equipment type for the other even with force mixes, you can play red units against the PO playing blue units. As long as the PO plays the same side of the scenario, with forces similar enough not to confuse it.

The thing I wonder about: will the PO still make good use of units if you substitute tanks for gun-carrying wheel vehicles?

And if they carry troops?