Can a Priest selfdestruct?

Just for the sake of completeness: I'm talking about the M7 Priest TD smile.gif.

In a heavily wooded QB, a Priest of mine opened fire at a MG 25m away. After firing 3-4 rounds, the Priest was suddenly Knocked Out. I'm pretty sure there was no enemy unit around capable of KO'ing the Priest, and the targeted MG did not fire. So, the obvious answer seems to be that the vehicle itself was within the blast radius. It is, after all, open topped. Can that in fact happen at that distance?

In the after action report I was listed with 2 vehicles lost, while I in fact had lost 3 including the aforementioned Priest. Perhaps a selfdestructing vehicle is not counted?

I was also listed as having killed a bunker that I had never seen. I checked the map afterwards, and it was located in a corner, abandoned. Was it listed as such because the enemy surrendered? I had no airstrikes and did not hit it with artillery.

imagine how i felt.

look at the kill counter...

big pic: http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/010570.html

the next time my priest crew sez "don't wanna fire at close range", i'm going to believe them

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Guest Rex_Bellator

Hah! I've had a Hummel and then a Wespe blow themselves up when charged by enemy infantry in the last week! It's very silly and needs fixing.

There's no way any such thing would happen in real life, even if it could the crew wouldn't be dumb enough to do it. The other thing which made me laugh was that the infantry at ground zero merely ducked, dusted themselves down and continued walking. Meanwhile I'm expected to believe that a fully protected afv 70 odd feet away has killed itself!

If you ever play against SPA trust me - just run straight at it and it'll blow itself up trying to fend you off. biggrin.gif

------------------

I have a vewy gweat fwiend in Wome called Biggus Diccus.

How's this foul-up sound: a panther and a wirblewind advance near each other vs shattered infantry remnants. Both stop next to a small grove of light trees. Up pops a broken infantry to make a run for it.... pop goes the panther's naverwerfenthingy anti-personnel dischargers, pop goes the wirblewind (open-topped aa afv). Panther crew immediately reassigned to the Eastern front....

Guest Rex_Bellator

LOL Tiger!! What a combination!!

Herr Oberst, if you think a 105mm HE shell exploding 25m away is enough to kill an AFV, then I for one won't want the patch which includes this effect for 105mm Artillery barrages as well - owch! eek.gif

------------------

I have a vewy gweat fwiend in Wome called Biggus Diccus.

I have had the self same thing happen to me with the same vehicle and I was gutted, I checked teh movies and found how it happened.

My priest was part of a desperate flanking move against a panther, with a little skill (ha) and a heap of luck big enough to call it a mountain I managed to creep up on the buttoned panther and kill it, moving my priests forward from this position I realised that I had in fact stumble upon an excellent hull down shelling position of the enemies heaviest defensive positions about 600m away.

I moved the priest into position along with his buddy (another priest) and let rip. By the end of the next movie both had been knocked out, after nearly crying I took a look to see what had happened.

The left hand of the pair was happily smashing the defences with free abandon, however the right hand one was happily firing shells into the small ridge 5m in front of it causing the shells to explode, after a few moments of, what I can aonly assume was trying to achieve the ultimate hull down by creating a gulf to fire through the priest teams decided they had had enough and deserted the vehicles, on ewas knocked out and the other I suppose was just abandoned.

Hope this sheds some light on the subject for you.

Graham

------------------

Well, I thought if I owned the bullet with my name on it I wouldn't get shot, because I'm not going to shoot myself.

Mores the pity....

Thanks a lot.

gashford, your story made my LOL biggrin.gif

Here's a suggestion to BTS:

Program a sense of selfpreservation into these vehicle crews (other than bailing out, that is). There are so many other cases where the soldiers make independent decisions in order to save their own ass, why not in this situation as well?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rex_Bellator:

LOL Tiger!! What a combination!!

Herr Oberst, if you think a 105mm HE shell exploding 25m away is enough to kill an AFV, then I for one won't want the patch which includes this effect for 105mm Artillery barrages as well - owch! eek.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please note the term "soft kill". It isn't the AFV breaking, it's the crew. I guess too many little sharp thingies whizzing around in the air...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert Olesen:

Sorry about the TD/SP mixup ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was no mixup wink.gif, my Priests are very good tank killers smile.gif.

Kills claimed by two Priests in one QB of mine:

Two Hetzers (Crack, frontal hits)

One King Tiger (Crack, side hit)

Kills claimed by all other US units in that game (Super Pershing, Jumbos, Sherman(105), infantry):

Two StuGIIIG (Crack, one frontal hit by Jumbo, one assaulted by two infantry squads)

Friendly losses (IIRC):

One Bazooka team eliminated.

Possibly a few other casualties in the infantry.

(It was an all Crack armour opponent, computer pick.)

Cheers

Olle

Guest Rex_Bellator

Herr Oberst & Private Pike, a great combination, would have loved to see that in 'Dad's Army' biggrin.gif

(apologies to the majority non-British audience!) I think you may be clutching at straws to think of valid excuses to defend this great game and it's understandable.

It never happened in RL, it shouldn't happen in CM. If you honestly think that crews will abandon AFV's from self-inflicted 'near' misses of 25 meters away, then it should apply to incoming artillery as well. Crazy!

Also we can't have them abandon a perfectly functional AFV just because some enemy infantry show themselves. If they're that worried, they have a reverse gear.

IMHO CM is brilliant, but it isn't perfect, and this definitely needs a fix. Just my 2p (again!)

I lost a Stug once because it was too close to a house. When it fired, it hit the house, buttoning the commander. He kept hitting the house trying to hit an M-18. The Hellcat managed to shoot through the house to get the Stug.

Last weekend, a Panzer IV commander died when the house he hit was too close. I was parked right behind it.

Eventually it demolished the house and got a clear shot on the infantry it was targeting.

I have killed my own Priest before too.