Hiding in foxholes

A battle I'm designing.

Place: Scattered trees

Conditions: A Foggy dawn

A British 10 man squad struggles through the trees under the weight of their kit.

"Hey Sarge - there's a foxhole over there. We could take a quick break in it."

"Good thinking Jones" says the Sargent. The men tumble into the hole and gratefully rest.

"Fag anyone?" says Smith. "Take one and pass it on." he says, passing the pack to Williams.

The pack does the round. "Hey!" shouts Smith "I had 12 smokes, there's 10 of us, but my packets empty. Who took more than one?"

"Ha Tommy - it was us!" jeers a pair of German artillery spotters appearing in the hole as if from nowhere. "Were here all the time - now we shall attack you with our binoculars!"

BladdaBladdaBladdaBladda said the Bren gun.

No seriously, it took 9 seconds for my squad to realise they were sharing a foxhole with the enemy! I know the spotters were in the hole as I put them there in the scenario editor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Major LardLad:

"Hey Sarge - there's a foxhole over there. We could take a quick break in it."

"Good thinking Jones" says the Sargent. The men tumble into the hole and gratefully rest.

"Fag anyone?" says Smith. "Take one and pass it on." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<snickers but somehow restrains herself from posting any juvenile/inappropriate remarks>

Kitty

------------------

ICQ 8273286

http://www.fluffkitty.com

You have to keep in mind the scale of Combat Mission. Seriously, 12 guys could hardly fit comfortably in my living room. That one foxhole that you're seeing is a approximation of prepared positions in something like a 10 meter x 10 meter area or realestate.

So, the reality of that is something more akin to...

Hanz and Franz are sitting in foxhole and hear the sounds of approaching tommies.

"Hanz, hörst du etwas?"

"Ja, Tommies kommen."

"Ach du heilige Scheiße!" Wo sollen wir uns verbergen? Sie werden in diesem Loch uns sehen."

"Schnell, unter dem Baum da."

"Ich hoffe, daß sie da uns nicht finden."

After translation, it'll all make sense.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pritzl:

"Hanz, hörst du etwas?"

"Ja, Tommies kommen."

"Ach du heilige Scheiße!" Wo sollen wir uns verbergen? Sie werden in diesem Loch uns sehen."

"Schnell, unter dem Baum da."

"Ich hoffe, daß sie da uns nicht finden."

After translation, it'll all make sense.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As anticipated - Babelfish:

"Hanz, do you hear something?"

"Yes, Tommieses come."

"Oh you sacred **** "! where should we hide? you will see us in this hole."

"Leap, under the tree there."

"I hope that they don't find us there."

Well, that was sure dramatic!

------------------

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! -

THIS SIG FILE BELONGS TO A COMPLETE FOO.

MR T WOULDN'T BE SO KIND AS TO WRINKLE AN EYEBROW AT THIS UNFORTUNATE BEING. PLEASE OFFER HIS PARENTS AND COHABITANTS ALL SYMPATHY POSSIBLE. MAY BE CONTAGIOUS. CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL SWEETNER, INTELLIGENCE AND WIT. STAND WELL CLEAR AND LIGHT WICK. BY ORDER PETERNZ

Damn Croda. That is one funny sig!!!

must suck to be you - Hiram Sedai

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Croda:

"Leap, under the tree there."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The rest of it was close enough (although Babelfish apparently has issues with the different uses of "sie") but did it really translate schnell as "leap?" That's absolutely insane.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

I must say, Hanz is taking things awfully calmly smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite so.

Hans to Battery CO: Fire mission, my location, (gives coordinates), now, dammit. HE, WP all you got.

Battery CO: You're location, Hans? Won't that hurt?

Hans: Just pull the friggin, trigger, boy-o. I gotta call in napalm airstrike. ... Alpha Mike Foxtrot out.

(extreme liberties were taken with respect to historicity, weaponry, combatants, language, wars, et. al. but, hey, you get my drift).

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 12-20-2000).]