The Hidden Virtue Of "Lousy" AI

In reading a locked thread denouncing the AI's lack of competence on the attack in large battles, I had the felicitous thought that this might not be such a problem in CM2 (Eastern Front), particularly for the early years.

The very things which apparently drive quite a few people up the wall (unimaginative tactics, poor use of terrain, misuse of armor) would seem to be to be a near ideal depiction of Russian combat behavior in that period, leavened by intermittent flashes of tactical brilliance that the AI is capable of. It's beaten me several times attacking without additional advantage.

Just think, since Charles won't have to write special code for the Russians, maybe he can write some special code so Panzers and Panzer Grenadiers are fully integrated into CM's command and control model. Dare we hope for Luftwaffe air strike direction as well?

Regards,

John Kettler

Guest grunto

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Dare we hope for Luftwaffe air strike direction as well?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would like to see 'very lights' in night scenarios and during the day 'colored smoke' artillery spotting rounds if they used those in real life.

Squad Leader said that the spotting rounds were different than the HE. CMBO seems to model spotting rounds as HE if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps SL didn't represent it accurately?

At least 'very lights' would be cool.

BTS dudes, apologies for the constant comparisons to squad leader but that was my 'avocation' practically for a few years so that's why i'm always referring back to it.

i've even got all of the manuals here, except for the american module to the original sl. i've got asl too but just the germans and russians.

the 'very lights' carrel was always mentioning in his east front books.

i always wondered in his accounts why the russians didn't get their hands on those and play some nasty tricks.

Andy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by grunto:

Squad Leader said that the spotting rounds were different than the HE. CMBO seems to model spotting rounds as HE if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps SL didn't represent it accurately?

Andy

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have heard some references to special spotting rounds in my distant past, but IIRC, it was only with the REALLY big stuff (coastal artillery, RR guns, etc). They had more of a smoke effect than blast so's they be easier for FO's to observe and adjust from miles away.

I think CM does it right.

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb wink.gif

[This message has been edited by IntelWeenie (edited 08-31-2000).]

I think what would be cool for CM2 would be for air attacks to have an ingress/egress choice ala Steel Panthers before the turn. Kinda like we were radio'ing in area coordinates for known or suspected targets. Also if you could get a percentage chance estimate given that would tell you if aircraft will even show up for that particular type battle (i.e. day/night, fog etc) so you could make an semi-intelligent purchase choice.

------------------

Thanks for Athskin!

You aren't the only Squad Leader pilgrim in this heaven. I've been dreaming about a game like ever since I used to butt those mapboards together when I was 10 just imagining what it would really look like from down there.......

One thing I don't understand are the night scenarios.... In world war II, night fighting was an extreme rarity. The only time I've heard of any fighting at night was for patroling and the paratroopers in D-Day (even then, most waited for the light of day to start off to Carentan) With all of the confusion of fighting at night, it usually didn't pay off in the end. Thus the "morning stand-up" in the trenches.

Oops, sorry for going off.... :/

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>In world war II, night fighting was an extreme rarity.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not true, though it was not common by todays standards. Though not exactly within CMs scope night marches to attacking positions followed by very early morning suprise attacks were pretty common.

It is well known of course that Germans were generally afraid of the dark and adverse to night operations hehe

"Unlike us, they rarely fought at night, when they were excessively nervous and unsure of themselves. Where we patrolled extensively, they avoided it. I can remember only one successful German patrol and not one successful night action."

I created a huge scenario involving one Panzer regiment and one US infantry regiment. It is quite a challenge playing the US side with full FOW. Although the Panzer regiment cost more than the US regiment, about double, the Panzer regiment, historically, had higher costing units. If the battles were of equal cost the US would have twice as much, causing a scenario imbalance. Two US regiments against one Panzer regiment.

Strat