Read Gamespot review. Would i like this?

Hello all.

I have just read the Gamespot review and I like what was written. The reason that I am posting is to ask you people who play the game if I would like this product.

I have played some wargames in the past, mainly the Panzer General series, and I am very interested in World War 2. However I dont want to be overwhelmed with stats, and logistical data to sift through. I enjoyed the panzer general games quite a bit, but I found the action lacking. I do enjoy a quick romp of Diablo 2 from time to time.

Is this game for me?

P.S.

Is the demo indicative of the final product?

thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by Melloj (edited 07-06-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>However I dont want to be overwhelmed with stats, and logistical data to shift through. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't find this a problem at all, the game is highly intuitive and stats and such are really there as an aid but are not necessary to the enjoyment of the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Is the demo indicative of the final product?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes and No. Yes in that the general flavor of the game is well presented in the Gold demo and No in that the final game has massive numbers of options that make it highly replayable.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Is this game for me?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, if you have any interest in WW2 tactical ground combat I can unhesitatingly recommend this game highly. Get it, you won't be sorry.

Joe

BTW, welcome to the board smile.gif

Hello

I am not a big wargame fan yet I LOVE this game. Loads of fun. Play the demo but remember that the final has lots more to it.

You dont have to know alot about stats and the manual is excellent

MUST BUY

Chances are my friend you will not like it....... you will love it and it will grow to dominate your life. smile.gif I haven't played wargames since the 70's.And I hated the charts and tables! Now it is most nights, either a scenario or PBEM..or both. My wife is starting to get THAT look in her eyes wink.gif

You read the Gamespot review. Another brief summary at cdmag http://www.cdmag.com/Home/ said Wargaming will never be the same...and discover maybe the best wargame in years. It looks good, it plays well, and it caters to the grognard without losing the more casual player. Even if you don't normally play wargames, you need to check this one out. The reviews I have been seeing are ALL saying it's a MUST have game. If you search or scan various threads in this forum you will find links to them

One other thing, others have said that the full game has more than the Gold Demo, that is true. But it does not overwhelm you. Rather it is a differnce of variation not mass. The full game plays like the demo, but you can play from tiny maps w/ small numbers of units to multiple map operations. You can design your own or have the computer do it[thus ensuring freshness rather than playing the same old scenarios over and over] You can play in the snow, mud, fog whatever. All these await you........

But you will be changed. And welcome to the most interesting, at times silly and inventitive and provcative forum/community I have seen.

[This message has been edited by jdmorse (edited 07-06-2000).]

Melloj,

BUY THIS GAME.

It is single handedly the best computer wargame I've seen in my 20+ years of board and computer gaming. There are no statistics, charts, logistics, etc. to worry about. While the armour and gun penetration values are available for you to look at, you do not need them to play the game. You will love this game.

Mikester out.

Well ....

smile.gif

Looks like I may be looking into this one.

But I have one more question that wasn't really answered by the review. It mentions the single battle modes, the scenario mode, and the multibattle mode (not exactly sure what that means...says several battles over a large map)

Do any of these resemble a campaign? Sort of like the Panzer series, where you could start with Invasion of Poland, and carry over units and result consequences to subsequent missions. Can you choose between battles? or where you can engage the enemy (ie forest vs. plains?)

thanks

The "operations" are a series of linked battles. Remeber CM is Company/Squad level. So whats represented maybe over a day or several days. Think of it as a Company advancing, taking the ground, re-supplying and moving forward to re-engage. You are NOT picked up and put in a totally different enviroment. At the end of each battle, the game adjusts new start lines based on what you have achieved. The hulks of previous kills remain etc. You may even "start" in contact with the enemy.

What you have to work with is affected by your performance

[This message has been edited by jdmorse (edited 07-06-2000).]

I love RTS games. Think of CM even easier than an RTS. The action phase stops every minute so you can give orders as detailed as you want. Even if you want to play defensive and give no orders, your units will stay put and fight on thier own. You intervene when and where you chose.

CM is more realistic than other wargames yet easier to learn and play. I'm the type that doesn't like reading manuals or readme files. I'm giving chalenges without reading the manual. I have though, followed the game for 2 years in it's developement and have played all the demos.

Orders are self explanitory. If you have a knack for timing power. If you have good intuition then that's all you need. Put the manual aside, all you need is the force.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Melloj:

... I am very interested in World War 2.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's the key, not if you have or haven't played wargames. A number of my fellow grognards do not have any interest in CM (really). The reason is that they prefer the musket-rifle/cannon/cavalry combats that are typical in the Revolutionary/Napolean/Civil War eras.

With WW2, you have to like fighting with automatic weapons, tanks, howitzers, fighter planes and the like. If not, CM will not be appealing, no matter how great the game is.

[This message has been edited by Steve Clark (edited 07-06-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Melloj:

Do any of these resemble a campaign? Sort of like the Panzer series, where you could start with Invasion of Poland, and carry over units and result consequences to subsequent missions. Can you choose between battles? or where you can engage the enemy (ie forest vs. plains?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No campaign or any of that strategic stuff. Operations are a serie of battles on a large map.

Guest goonch

I think you will enjoy the game immensely. I was never really a hardcore wargamer. I always enjoyed a good stategy game with an exceptionally smart AI.

I have played all type of games through the years: rpgs, flight sims, FPS. You name the genre, I probably played it.

However, I feel this game has turned me into a wargamer for life. I find it very addictive, and believe it or not, I find it utterly suspenseful every time I hit that GO button.

------------------

leave the gun, take the canolies.

Hey Melloj,

I think if you liked Panzer General serious you will like CM.

Combat Mission carries the realism alot of 'grognards' want; yet is very playable for those folks who don't wanna plow over every square inch of a battlefield with a comb.

However, it is tactical not strategic. I like both types of gameplay,and I am a WW2 buff, which helps alot.

Stoner

I cant wait to get home from work, and try out the demo. I have a cable connection so it shouldnt be a long download.

I am canadian, so the game bill will probably top 80 bucks canadian, but if its as good as everyone says it is, should be worth the cost.

Also Ive read that a TCP/IP patch will be coming out? Is this a certainty? If so what is the ETA?

My advice:

Order now. Before the current lot is sold out. They sold out what they thought would be two months inventory in less than a week (I think that's what they said). Don't worry about whether or not it is money well spent, because if you have any interest in WWII combat you MUST have this game.

Another reason to buy: BTS is a wonderful concept, basically two guys who are fanatical about making the best game possible. No big publisher to impose bottom-line restrictions. All wargamers should reward this approach as it is as fresh as the game itself. Steve and Charles are the two guys I'm referring to here, and if you scan around a bit you'll get the feel for how outstanding these guys are. Well, I gotta run, time to go home and fire up my latest pbem files!

------------------

"Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you. Take it easy, Dude." -- The Stranger

The Dude abides.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>P.S.

Is the demo indicative of the final product?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is a puddle indicative of what the Pacific Ocean is like? There both water and both wet, but that's about it.

The answer to your question is, 'No'. The final product is SOOOOO much better than the demo. Buy the game now!

And 'campaigns', or operations in CM are not like those in PG. No core units and no gaining experience. It is unrealistic at CM's scale, and once you play the game it will likely become more clear as to why that is.

Jason

Guest Rollstoy

The full game beats everything because of the EDITOR!

I still have not played any of the shipped scenarios just because it is so perfectly easy and entertaining to set up your own stuff!

Regards, Thomm