Vive la france! (very OT)

France is really a superpower in fusbol now. I had it down to France, Portugal, Holland or Spain and although I wanted Holland to win I think it's okey france did. Must give kudos to Italy for playing as offensive as they did even though that were one up, Italy is not playing anti-football (Norway is... heheheheh).

Guest herbjorn

IMHO Italy deserved to win, France didnt. But then again, The Netherlands should have beaten Italy in the semi-final, which they didnt....

Yes, congrats to France...the first to win a World Cup and then follow it up with a European Championship.

My allegiance is to the Dutch National Team, but I guess I'm getting used to the frustration of losing in penalty shootouts...

On the other hand Italy and Holland can come away feeling very good about their teams they certainly looked very solid throughout the tournament. I was dissapointed portugal didnt go all the way, after their demolition of my team (England) I was very impressed with their style and mental strength.

Should be a GREAT world cup next time around.

Ok ok...let's get something straight.

Holland played Italy in the semi finals, they controlled the game and by some weird twist of fate they lost....but anyone who has seen the game would agree that it wasnt an earned win by Italy.

Now let's assume Holland won, that would've been France vs. Holland in the finals and since the Dutch smoked the French earlier in the tourney already...who's the real unsung hero of euro 2000?

IT JUST ISNT FAIR!!!!

P.S.: oh im not Dutch or anything smile.gif

------------------

And remember kids....dressing up like Hitler in school, is NOT cool!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Reckall:

The "golden goal" rule s**s... Would you imagine a Combat Mission game in overtime where "the first one to knock out an enemy unit wins" ? frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Reckall (edited 07-03-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would rather them have the Golden Goal that to watch boring overtime and then penalty kicks.

In the Final the Italians seemed to be more organized in the first half and played for the break or to take advantage of mistakes, as their first goal showed. The French definitely played more positive soccer and were rewarded.

As for the long stoppage time, the Italians brought this on by walking off slowly for their substitutes, etc.

I hate to see what Zoff had to go through. It's not as if Italy were always a fav. His tactics and selections got them through, and he's getting lambasted.

------------------

Always with the negative waves, Moriarty.

yup I HATE penalties with a passion (as does holland by now I am sure), I wish replays due to ties could be an option but that might lead to deliberate draws first time out to get more money from match number 2. Its tough.

How does american football handle it in cases of a tie? Do they just play till they drop?

_dumbo

In American football, in the case of a scoreless or equal score at the end of regulation playthe game goes into overtime quarters (15 minutes). After a flip of the coin to determine who starts with ball possession/which endzone to defend, the teams will continue to play until someone scores. First to score wins.

There are no penalty field goals! biggrin.gif