Horror stories

Henri

There have been threads like this before, but I wonder if anyone can beat my streak of bad luck; if I didn't know better, I would swear that the game has been tampered with, but since this is happening against five different opponents, that is highly unlikely.

In one pbem game this week, during the first two minutes, 3 of my Shermans bounce 11 shells off a Hetzer eek.gif while the latter is picking off all three. Starting a scenario three tanks down is not conducive to victory.

A couple of minutes later, my 4.5 inch mortar spotter, who was about to drop the roof on the topless Hetzer, is dispatched when the first shell of an enemy artillery barrage falls directly on him 10 seconds before his artillery is scheduled to begin firing.The barrage is canceled. rolleyes.gif

There is worse: in another pbem game, I see that the opponent has picked only heavy tanks. Oh boy, I think, I can take the flags and hold him off with my Super Pershing, Jumbo and two Fireflies. As the scenario begins, my Jumbo is immobilized behind some woods for some mysterious reason before even trying to move mad.gif and one of the German tanks picks off the Pershing with the first shot while another picks off a Sherman as soon as he shows his nose. A bit later, my Jabo appears and the enemy has no AA biggrin.gif

Despite not bing fired on, the Jabo fails to even immobilize any of the four German tanks standing in the open on top of a hill rolleyes.gif I am left with a single Firefly and an immobilized Jumbo and two platoons of infantry who hold most of the flags. A bit later, the Jumbo misses a King Tiger who has drifted into view from 300 m FOUR TIMES in a row before being killed... eek.gif

So one of the enemy King Tigers roos forward right by one of my bazookas, who takes a side shot from 20 m away, and the shell bounces off the side of the Tiger eek.gif

In another pbem this week, I have a lot of tanks and infantry. SEVEN of my tanks are disabled by gun hits from artillery, and four bog down while the enemy tanks waltz around the terrain without problems frown.gif Only two or three of my tanks ever manage to move into combat intact, where they are killed without claiming any enemy tanks. A number of my vehicles are killed by an enemy AT gun, who remains invulnerable despite being fired at by my 105 artillery since the beginning of the scenario, in addition to being fired upon by infantry and machineguns from a half-dozen kangaroo-mounted machineguns.

Last week I described the pbem incident where an enemy Hellcat successively dispatched my Tiger and Panther with initial frontal shots from a mile away.

I have no beef against my opponents, but I am starting to think that somebody up there doesn't like me...

These are only a few of the incidents related to my incredible bad luck.Need I say that I am been stomped into the ground in every one of my pbem games?... frown.gif

Can anybody beat my hard luck stories?

Henri

How about in my RD tourney game against Bauhaus?

My Churchill VIII has 2 shots at the side of a Tiger from 150m and misses, then after he rotates to face me it takes 3 more for him get a gun hit. Ya! Then from out of nowhere comes William Tell with a PShrek and from 200m get a FIRST shot FRONT armour kill on the Churchhill VIII. Then the same PShrek wheels in place and pastes another target from 200m with his first shot...

Some days you just can't piss a drop my daddy y'ust to say

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>In one pbem game this week, during the first two minutes, 3 of my Shermans bounce 11 shells off a Hetzer eek.gif while the latter is picking off all three. Starting a scenario three tanks down is not conducive to victory.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that the Hetzer just being the Hetzer? 60mm or armor at 60 degrees is nothing to sneeze at. Your 75's and 76's are gonna have a tough time getting through that armor unless they have Tungsten rounds.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I have no beef against my opponents, but I am starting to think that somebody up there doesn't like me ... I am been stomped into the ground in every one of my pbem games.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Care for a PBEM, Henri? wink.gif

- Chris

Henri says:

"In another pbem this week, I have a lot of tanks and infantry. SEVEN of my tanks are disabled by gun hits from artillery, and four bog down while the enemy tanks waltz around the terrain without problems Only two or three of my tanks ever manage to move into combat intact, where they are killed without claiming any enemy tanks. A number of my vehicles are killed by an enemy AT gun, who remains invulnerable despite being fired at by my 105 artillery since the beginning of the scenario, in addition to being fired upon by infantry and machineguns from a half-dozen kangaroo-mounted machineguns."

Hey, that opponent is me! Clearly my superior skill and tactical genius have brought Henri to his quivering knees. Surely his terrified forces are even now searching their rucksacks for clean socks and hankies from which to sew together white flags. Only my gentlemanly sense of mercy and fair play stands between Henri's hapless draftees and their utter annihilation...

Well, actually, I have to admit that Henri *has* had extraordinarily bad luck in this game. Not the least of his worries is that he has been forced by the scenario to attempt an armored assault over what is essentially a kilometer-long plain of open mud. In fact the only reason my tanks are still moving is that all the roads are on my side of the map.

Well, that's not strictly true. There are *some* roads on Henri's side, but they were all mined... smile.gif

I can vouch for the fact that, despite the gods' malevolent interference with his dice rolls, as an opponent he is the very model of courage in the face of the abyss.

Henri, another game?

Paul "Martyr" Roberts

Originally posted by Martyr:

Hey, that opponent is me! Clearly my superior skill and tactical genius have brought Henri to his quivering knees. Surely his terrified forces are even now searching their rucksacks for clean socks and hankies from which to sew together white flags. Only my gentlemanly sense of mercy and fair play stands between Henri's hapless draftees and their utter annihilation...

I think writing this has changed my luck: on the very next move, I killed your Panther with one of my numerous immobilized tanks who somehow got a peek at the panther and noticed that my artillery had at last killed your AT gun biggrin.gif on the next move, you moved most of your infantry into the objective two-storey building to counter my onslaught with my remaining kangaroos and infantry, which building immediately burst into flames when hit by something or other. Your infantry ran out and are being mercilessly mowed down by my forces as they run around like headless chickens (man, being lucky is fun biggrin.gif ). Too bad the game only has one move or so to go eek.gif

Henri, another game?

Why not, now that my luck has changed for the better... cool.gif

Henri

Actually, that large building (in which I had positioned a full platoon of veteran fallschirmjagers) burst into flames because one of my top-floor teams fired a 'faust at your approaching Kangeroo! I guess that's what I get for playing with matches in a mattress factory...

The rapid exodus from that burning building was one of the funniest sights I've seen in CM.

Martyr

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>As the scenario begins, my Jumbo is immobilized behind some woods for some mysterious reason before even trying to move<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Henri- sounds like just really bad luck overall, but this sounds like your tank got bogged in the grass. Was it a wet day that you were describing? This happens to me a lot, especially with the heavies on the grass.

daverino

Self-inflicted bad luck: Called in a smokescreen using "T" instead of "K". When the live rounds started going off among my advancing troops, the penny still didn't drop: "Wow, he's quick off the mark with his artillery, and where's my smokescreen anyway?...OH MY G....!!!" Half a platoon gone.

I won't forget that for a while

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daverino:

Henri- sounds like just really bad luck overall, but this sounds like your tank got bogged in the grass. Was it a wet day that you were describing? This happens to me a lot, especially with the heavies on the grass.

daverino<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the German enemy had ONLY heavy tanks -five of them - and no infantry, and none of them got bogged down, so I think that the ground was dry. So I guess it was just part of my run of bad luck... frown.gif

Henri

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henri:

Can anybody beat my hard luck stories?

Henri<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I lost to Peng.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.