OT:Russian WW2 music?

I saw that combathq has some German,US and other tunes. I wonder if there's something similar for Russian WW2 tunes? So far I've found Katyusha which is fantastic to listen to while playing (yeah I know wrong front).

Is there anything else (legal) connected tot he war one can find?

I was thinking of buying some of those Red Army choir cd:s.

Thanks in advance

Marcus

If your taste in music leans towards the classical, some of Shostakovich's later symphonies have a WWII theme to them.

------------------

“Out in front every one is holding out. Every one. My grenadiers and my engineers and my tank crews – they’re all holding their ground. Not a single man is leaving his post. They are lying silent in their foxholes for they are dead.” – Gen. Fritz Bayerlein on an order to hold his position

Thanks and yes I know about Shostakovitch pieces of course smile.gif. They are easy enough to find. And I have most of them on classic CD collections.

However I was looking more for those folkish sounding songs with lot's of balalaikas and men choirs etc. Except for the RAC I don't know any else. Maybe someone good with balalaika can record some smile.gif.

Marcus

There is an MP3 of "Holy War" on www.belpak.minsk.by/uson/nihil/arise.mp3. There are also other WWII Soviet songs on there( www.belpak.minsk.by/uson/nihil/musicrus.htm), though "Holy War" is by far and away my favorite (if you wonder exactly what it says, you can look for my translation of it in the archive).

[This message has been edited by Gregory Deych (edited 09-18-2000).]

SOVIET ARMY CHORUS & BAND

I got it at Borders Books (they have a CD section). Lots of good WWII music there. They had French, Italian, US/British, etc.

The CD was under the label "Monitor Music of the World"

Good luck!

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

• 3 weeks later...

I was enjoying these so much I had to bump it up to the top. Gregory Deych, if you're still there, could you give me a link to your lyrics for Holy War? I looked on the Belpak site but my computer, which can handle Cyrillic in quite a few instances, couldn't on this one. Thanks again for a lot of great links.