Post Office Blues

BTS,

You should really reconsider the US Post Office. They are the LAST choice I ever use when shipping stuff. Lost, delayed, stolen ect and they don't really care either. I once mailed a very important legal document PRIORITY mail and those SOBs lost it and it took 6 (yes not a typo) six freakin weeks to trace!

Switch to UPS and charge a $10 fee. It will make everyone happier, your customers can even trace thier own shipment and stay off of your back.

Look you guys make a great WWII game, but there is no need to stay true to the 1940s by shipping like you live in the 1940s.

Guest MantaRay

Actually, I think that they did this for a reason. UPS raised thier prices on BTS, and in case you didn't know, UPS ships thier non-priority packages by ground, and it would have taken longer for most peoples orders that way, and the shipping cost would have lost BTS quite a few sales.

Just think if BTS had to charge you $20 extra for shipping in the US, how much the other countries players would have had to pay, and BTW, it is already a lot. The games are comming, Steve and Charles didn't screw ya, I have proof. smile.gif

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

I STRONGLY second what 0311 posted above.(not that it matters smile.gif

I have had SOOOOO many Priority mail packages (with client contracts or my work products) get misplaced, that I will not use anything but FedEx (or UPS sometimes) when working with clients, much less for my personal life.

It is probably a pain in the rump to do FedEx or UPS verses USPS, but the option would be a nice addition. Hell, I would have sent Steve and Charles my own FedEx acct number to send me CM.

This isn't just disappointment at not being able to play Cm when we have waited so long...(longer for some than for others.) Granted we, the currently disenfranchised, are behaving like kids on a Christmas countdown (where applicible) It is also about the frustration that many of us have obviously had with the USPS in our professional (and sometimes personal) lives.

Then, there is just BAD LUCK... confused.gif

Which many of us seem to currently be experiencing... eek.gif

(Archangel considering a nice new half-gallon jug of SAPPHIRE as he prepares to (happily) load LD for the billionth time) wink.gif

MANTA: I didn't see your posting until AFTER I posted...I do understand your point though....but I would have been happy to pay extra for shipping....nor have I heard it suggested that Steve or Charles screwed anyone...the consensus amongst we without CM seems to be directed at the USPS, not BTS or any of our associates here on the site. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ARCHANGEL (edited 06-20-2000).]

Yes Arch,

In NO WAY am I even hinting at the fact that BTS screwed me and I hope I didn't give that impression. That 1940s comment was a weak attempt at humor.

Manta- I have experience in shipping important "stuff" and it is common knowledge that the post office is a big no no. Once you send it via mail, you are in some wierd limbo and you have no proof that your adressee received the package.

I assure you that UPS beats our good old post office in delivery times too,

To make a long story longer, I think it would be in BTS best interest to provide online ordering like the majority of other web based sales organizations. Let the buyer select the shipper, Parcel Post for free, UPS for $10, and Fed Ex overnight for $20.

I love BTS, I hate the Post Office service and hohum attitude!

0311, you have NO idea what you're talking about. I've worked for the USPS for 18 years, my wife has worked there for 7 years and NEITHER of us us have a "hoHum" attitude.

As far as delivery confirmation goes, it can be done with both Express and Priority mail. If BTS didn't choose to do it with their mailing, then that was their choosing.

As far as UPS vs USPS goes, if we only delivered as many as they do in a year, I'd have a long vacation because we do their yearly business in one DAY. And we deliver to EVERYONE in the USA, not just who we want to.

Take it easy Dave. The guys were just kidding, weren't you guys?. Thats it. Take it nice and slow. Nobody meant any harm and we all love the post office. Now, just put down the detonator and back away from the window. We appreciate the hard work you do and we need you. So, please dont pull the pin and softly set the grenade down.

Dave I do hope you have a sence of humor

Hey im a postal worker and if i dont get my copy soon im going postal!Just joking.Joking aside there is nothing wrong with the postal system. if you seen the amount of mail the postal system puts through compared to the others.Well lets put it this way its like comparing an elphant with a mouse.Now where's that package.

This is not intended as an insult to any USPS employe. There's no question that they handle billions of pieces of mail per year, much more than their private sector competitors.

But there are very good reasons why every company I've worked for (3 were Fortune 500 and the fourth was the largest firm of its kind in the world) refuses to use USPS for important mail. The first reason is dependability, the second is dependability, the third is dependability. Experience taught these companies that getting a package where it's supposed to be when it's supposed to be there is not what the USPS does best. They are willing to pay additional for (1) a guarantee that the package will arrive when it's supposed to and (2) if it doesn't, a dependable system to track it and find out why.

I suggest to BTS that they implement a system of shipping options with commensurate additional charges. I think a lot of BTS customers would opt to pay extra for better delivery service. I haven't surveyed but I'd wager that most E-businesses do exactly that.

Cheers

Bill Acton

------------------

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."

Anon

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ARCHANGEL:

I STRONGLY second what 0311 posted above.(not that it matters smile.gif

I have had SOOOOO many Priority mail packages (with client contracts or my work products) get misplaced, that I will not use anything but FedEx (or UPS sometimes) when working with clients, much less for my personal life.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, man, you just gave me a heart attack!

Dave-

OK I am ignorant about the Post Office,, I won't argue that. all I know is that it took 6 weeks for a letter to be traced. I used the Post Office that time and that time was the last. In my opinion, while getting it traced there was a ho-hum attitude with the two people I spoke with. So tell me-how long does it take to trace a Prioroity letter? FED EX takes 2 minutes through the net. Thats a fact and thats my point.

Of course I am not degrading every person who works for the Postal System and I sincerely mean no ill will here. But I DO KNOW what I am talking about when it comes to reliability. It doesnt matter if you move 1 zillion letters a day. All I know as a stupid guy who does'nt know what he is talking about is that FED-EX and UPS are more reliable. Period.

I DO apologize for any offense that I have given you Dave, this was not meant to be personal. I came across wrong because I came home to no CM and no way of knowing if it even has been shipped. FEDEX and UPS could give me that info quickly.

The bad thing about emails, is that sometimes they can be taken the wrong way by the reader and I do apologize.

There is no definite time for receiving this game in the US expect for roughly 2-3 days after it ships. If your copy has not yet been shipped, it doesn't matter if it is being sent 4th Class or Express Overnight because it is still sitting in the warehouse. As Steve has mentioned, a lot of orders were sent out the first of this week. That means we are looking at the short end of the estimate right now.

Also, I have seen very important documents get lost/delayed using UPS and FedEx. After seeing people miss out on millions of dollars because their documents arrived late, I think I can wait a couple of extra days to get my copy of the game.

------------------

Dan

Like 0311, I think shippin OPTIONS would be the best bet for BTS to go through. If you want this game enough, you aren't going to be done filling out the order form and THEN decide you don't want the game because shipping is a few dollars more. If there was a $200, next minute service, I'd take it. Multiple options are the way to go. Not just one and only shipper.

Before any more USPS employees post to defend their honor, please take a moment to understand that your caring and your job is not being attacked. Yes, USPS is the elephant compared to the ants, but that is exactly the point. Its cheaper and handles the bulk of packages in the US. But bigger don't make better. USPS may have a pretty efficient way of doing things, but there are a lot more chances for things to go wrong.

Customers should have the OPTION TO CHOOSE, regardless the extra costs. BTS may have gone the USPS route only due to reduced amount of administration for their package handling, but I think they should look into increasing the delivery options, for this is an internet purchase game only.

------------------

Garry Kump

Guest Scott Clinton

UPS blows IMO. UPS takes longer and they charge more than comparable USPS services (dollar for dollar).

If you want overnight, or second day use the various (more expensive) USPS options or FedEx. I have never seen UPS do anything that warrants the premium price they charge.

BTW if anyone mailed "important legal documents" unregistered USPS Priority mail and they got lost...its their own damn fault IMO.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

I have to agree with Scott here - USPS is good (aka cheapest) when I don't care about delivery times, but when I do, I generally care enough for first or second day FedEx. There aren't any packages I'd send UPS, though. Which is why options are a good idea: those of us who are impatient refreshing monkeys can shell out extra for FedEx and people who don't care that much can still go with USPS. Personally, I would have gone with second day FedEx because what I really hate is not knowing, not just the time it takes.

------------------

Questions, comments, arguments, refutations, criticisms, and/or sea stories?

Guest Scott Clinton

You walk in the middle of the road, expect to be hit by a car.

You don't buy health insurance, expect to 'pony-up' the $$$ when you get sick.

You don't buy the correct type of delivery service for your "important legal documents" don't complain when they aren't delivered when you want them to be delivered becuase YOU chose to save a few bucks on the delivery method.

USPS offers over-night and registered mail. Apparently you choose not to use it. YOUR mistake, own up to it and don't try to blame it on someone else.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Well, without getting into the war of the Scotts... I'll chime in and say I've had great luck with priority mail before this point. I think the USPS is doing its thing like always... the problem is that a lot of the late arrivers to CM got their stuff shipped before the pre-order people... and THAT's what really burns... I don't know whose fault it is, and I'm not prepared to start throwing blame around, but the fact is that its pretty depressing to see guys who preordered in May of this year posting how great the game is, etc etc when people who preordered before I did in February haven't gotten it yet.

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.

Wow, guess I should have gotten back to this sooner. smile.gif

Don't worry anyone, I don't take personal offense to the remarks I see here. The USPS isn't perfect and I know it as well as anyone (probably BETTER than most!).

The USPS can match UPS and FedEx with their Express mail. Overnight delivery with the ability to track the package, costs about the same (maybe less) as what the others charge. There is no way to trace Priority mail, but then, the sender didn't pay for that kind of service. The USPS has many options, not just Priority.

Believe me, I've thought a few unkind thoughts these last few days, waiting (and still waiting) for my CM (ordered July 1999). It was just by luck I decided to check my credit card and discovered I hadn't been charged yet. Turns out BTS thought it had expired and e-mailed me, but to a old address. That's cleared up now and I hope to have my CM in a few days. It also helped to find out that BTS hadn't gotten everything the USPS as quickly as some had thought.

Ok- I am pissed that I can't delete my previous statement.

Scott- I started this post to give BTS an idea about giving us options-thats all. I don't come hear to get in some pissing match with you or anyone else. I spend about 30 min a night reading all the posts and am impressed by everyones knowledge and insights. I have always thought poorly of some guy who comes across half cocked from the protection of his keyboard- and I just found myself to be one of those guys. It won't happen again and I apologize for my immature comments.

Lets smoke a peace pipe, okay?

0311, sorry, but Priority is NOT overnight mail. Express mail is overnight. Priority is 2-3 day delivery. Express mail can be tracked, Priority can't be tracked, but you can have delivery confirmation.