I remember reading an article a long while back that said a bunch of footage had to be cut from SPR because it would have gotten it a higher rating due to the gore. The scene cut, so I heard, was an attack by Miller's Company on those 88s that he told his Battalion Commander about. Does anyone know anything about this?

Also, has anyone heard anything about Rules Of Engagement? That looks good, too.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JeffRaider:

I remember reading an article a long while back that said a bunch of footage had to be cut from SPR because it would have gotten it a higher rating due to the gore. The scene cut, so I heard, was an attack by Miller's Company on those 88s that he told his Battalion Commander about. Does anyone know anything about this?

Also, has anyone heard anything about Rules Of Engagement? That looks good, too.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. Except I heard the scence that was cut off was Miller and his squad getting attacked by 88's. Like after Miller is talking to the other cpt when they find the fake ryan he mentions loosing most of their ammo. Also before they attack the downed radar site Jackson mentions "we left them 88's. He is reffering to the ones that took out their jeep.

Damn them movie ratings wink.gif

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Howitzer:

Germanboy:

I thought the SPR ending was much deeper than "America, America"...it was a story of a veteran reflecting on his life, for which comrades gave theirs, and attempting to measure it against a very high standard. It could have been told by other nationalities and at other times with equally important reflection.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Howitzer, my mistake - in my mind the movie ended with air strike on the tank on the bridge, I think I suppressed the final bit for some reason. I guess it is because I am instinctively weary of flag-waving and all that, maybe b/c of our history... redface.gif

------------------

Andreas

One thing I love about SPR is that it is one of those movies that just the issue of WATCHING it can be a litmus for somebody's character.

For instance, I'm sure everyone here has met somebody who has said the following:

"(smacking bubble gum) that movie was, like, gross."

or

"It's not my type of movie. I like movies that leave me feeling happy."

What kind of people are these? Would you want to share a foxhole with them? Are they going to buy war bonds, save fat and tin cans, and stay up all night building your tank or apc?

Peace,

Mark

Guest Madmatt

I too was moved by this movie in spite of some of the flaws. I must admit that in the final scene the thing that most touched me most was this observation:

Anyone else notice the size of those hooters on the girl in the Pink sweater?!? WOW! I am assuming she was a granddaughter but sweet Jesus was she a hotty! biggrin.gif

Sorry, its what I noticed first... wink.gif

Madmatt

All natural and built to stay that way!

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

What's ironic in my homefront of Southern Illinois, is that I have an acquaintence of someone that is a spitting image, including mannerisms, of Corporal Opem. Everytime my buddy, "KILLEM ALL" from this board, and I watch SPR, when Opem's acting "ignorant" we say, "That's Bonner!". Funny thing is that Bonner is our age at 26(7) eek.gif.

As for the "cut" scene of the 88's. Yeah, I was wondering if they actually filmed that, because I would have liked to have seen that. Too bad it didn't make it on the video release, at least the Special Edition. frown.gif

------------------

"Cry Woe...Destruction...Ruin and Decay. The worst is Death...and Death will have His day."--Gen. Chang

Guest Babra

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

Anyone else notice the size of those hooters on the girl in the Pink sweater<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brought tears to my eyes... wink.gif

------------------

It's "BAB-ra!"

I think people just saw the flag at the beginning and end but missed the fact that the flag was washed out and nearly transparent, not standing out starkly in color. That was done on purpose, a nod or sign of respect to to the veterans of the story, while not making it into a rousing jingoistic statement. This nuance was perhaps lost on many foreign audiences but it was not lost on me.

Los

[This message has been edited by Los (edited 03-13-2000).]

That was the first thing I noticed Madmatt, one thing about being old and young.. you can pick out these things right away, teenagers key right in on them as do old dirty men as yourselves smile.gif

They were pretty nice...

------------------

Formally Tom punkrawk

"Tomorrows killed by yesterday..." -Link80

Go to my soldiers at war page~!! http://www.geocities.com/soldiersat_war or I'll sick a goat on you!