Disappearing POWs

While playing VoT as the Germans I had a number of infantry squads get captured by charging American infantry. Then, to my astonishment they disappeared after maybe 5 minutes of captivity, leaving no marker or indication of where they left the map.

If the victor is going to take a unit captive, shouldn't they be responsible for guarding that unit for the rest of the game? Making them disappear seems too easy. Does this simulate the disarmament of the unit? What is going on?

------------------

"Artillery is a terrible thing. God, I hate it."

Pvt. David Webster

101st airborne 1942-45

I've never seen them just disappear, but I have seen the little bastards become uncaptured when not in close attendace of one of my units, and race away. Sort of makes me wish there was a "War Crime" option. smile.gif As Charles B. Macdonald said:

"Company G committed a war crime today. We're going to win the war, though, so I suppose it doesn't matter."

(Possibly slightly paraphrased, done from memory)

Since I am the other half of that game I will add my view. The units are still visible to me. I moved them all to one central location and am gaurding them with a single unit. (Check the small house just at the bottom of the hill in the center) I don't know why you can't see them, they are there.

Juju

Sure, once you have captured a unit you can give it orders to move just like one of your own units. This is especially beneficial if you take large numbers of prisoners. Send them to a makeshift POW camp and gaurd them with a single unit. Be careful though not to send them on a long nature hike without friendly units nearby or they will escape.

Thanks, Bratch!

Been playing this demo since november '99 and never came up with the idea of just trying to see if it was possible. Cool feature!

Gonna try to make some POW's in my current PBEM. Oh boy, I can hadly wait! smile.gif

------------------

Combat Axiom #49. It could be worse. It could be me.

Here's my understanding of the situation:

Runyan is playing the Germans. Bratch is playing the Amis. Bratch recently captured some of Runyan's troops, and now Runyan reports that he can't see them, but Bratch can command the POWs. Is this correct?

If so, then this is the way it's supposed to be. Once Runyan's Ami troops are captured, Bratch takes over their command. Because they're no longer Runyan's troops, they don't generate any LOS for him (they become, for LOS purposes, "enemy"). If none of Runyan's effectives can see the POWs, they will disappear, same as any other enemy troops.

DjB

OK, I take back my last post. I am a "MEMBER" now! Does that mean I will have endless intelligent comments and insight?

Doug, you are right. Since Runyan99 does not have control anymore and I moved them out of LOS of any of his units he would naturally not be able to see them. Excellent job BTS, you guys think of everything.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I am a "MEMBER" now! Does that mean I will have endless intelligent comments and insight? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, it just means you've gone from "Slackass Posterboy" to "Slackass PosterMAN," like the rest of us Members.

Welcome to the club!

DjB

[This message has been edited by Doug Beman (edited 05-23-2000).]

Probably.. I've heard of people marching them through minefields to get rid of them. But then again whats the point? They're worth more points alive anyways (no pun intended) But if you wanna get rid of them you may be able to target them (never tried) or you can just do an area target.. or you could just get a single squad member, split a squad, or maybe some left over tank crew?

Regarding Sublime's post,

Tank or mortar crews are excellent choices to watch the troops as they only have pistols (or less), therefore limited combat potential. Something fun to do with VOT is march your American POWs just far enough up the hill in the back so the American player can admire all your prisoners, yet your troops are still out of sight(not too cruel, I hope)

Jonathan

Guest Babra

Uh-oh. Did someone say they are worth more to the capturer alive? So it's to my beastly advantage to call down arty where my men are being held prisoner? That seems mighty game-y to me...

No, it is not gamey, because the same artillery barrage called upon ENEMY troops will most likely yield the same net points (not speaking about hurting the enemy's fighting capabilities). Besides that freed prisoners are worth more to YOU - when you kill them, the enemy still gets some points for capturing them previously, while when you free them, the enemy is denied ALL of the points.