Wasting away again in combatmissionville....

Guest dirkd1976

Guest dirkd1976

I love this messageboard. smile.gif What a great way to pass time while it crawls by here at work. I work for a small comapny in the ISS (information system services) department. On the busy days it get quite hectic. On the slow days, I'm bored out of my mind!!! (I like the slow days smile.gif) This messageboard keeps me from falling asleep at work, so I just wanted to thank everyone out there who has helped to keep me awake!!! Should recive my copy of CM today or tomorrow, so if there are any other newbies out there looking for a PBEM game, send me a quick message!!

Happy gaming all!! wink.gif

------------------

Never mistake motion for action - Ernest Hemingway

Guest dirkd1976

Work, whats that? Oh yeah, its that boring thing I do inbetween games of CM wink.gif.........

------------------

Guest dirkd1976

So is Jimmy Buffett dead or what? I haven't heard anything from him, or about him in quite a while. Maybe he is living as a hermit on some carribean island drinking Mai Tai's all day long smile.gif Sounds like the life for me............ tongue.gif

------------------

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by von shrad:

I'm still looking for a word that rhymes with oberbefehlshaber./B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kandelaber - you can hang the Oberbefehlshaber from those.

------------------

Andreas

Guest dirkd1976

Sold out in 30 minutes?! WOW, I guess the old geezer's still got it, huh? wink.gif (No disrespect meant to any of you grizzled veterans out there smile.gif)

------------------

IIRC, nowadays Jimmy only does shows on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. He's alive and well, as my brother regularly does maintenance on his Grumman seaplane at the Easthampton airport when he's at his house in Amagansett.

The Good Life indeed.

------------------

CrapGame

Spook,

I believe that's the one. I think it's an old albatross, and that he has a newer one, but my brother says he's got something special for the old bird. Gasses the thing up, loads up some bait, and flies 20 miles offshore to go fishing off the wings. The good life indeed.

------------------

CrapGame

Guest dirkd1976

Lorak,

Nope, I dont live near you. Waterville Maine is where I call home (for another month, then its going to be Washington D.C.). I have a friend who's a manager at AOL in DC and he said he could get me a job there, so I'm going to send him a resume and keep my fingers crossed smile.gif!!

Hopefully the move with go nice and smooth, I would hate to have it cut into my CM time!!

Anyone out there fans of the movie RAN? I heard it is going to be re-released in theaters. Check out this link: www.ran2000.com/

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!! If you havent seen it yet, GO RENT IT!!

I gotta get back to work........yeah right, I'll be back on this board in under 20 minutes (hehehe smile.gif)

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dirkd1976:

Anyone out there fans of the movie RAN? I heard it is going to be re-released in theaters. Check out this link: www.ran2000.com/

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!! If you havent seen it yet, GO RENT IT!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of my all time favourites. biggrin.gif

Yojimbo is in my top 1.

Guest dirkd1976

Hey Jarmo,

You seen Sanjuro yet? I heard it was just as good as Yojimbo. Thats just what I've heard anyway, may be a load of BS..........

------------------

Buffet's plane is indeed a HU-16 Albatross. You can pick a good one up for about $700,000. If you can afford that the $4,500 gas bill to fill the tanks won't bother you a bit. smile.gif

------------------

Everybody speaks .45

Guest dirkd1976

Man, I wish I had 700,000 greenbacks for a damn plane. Geesh, must be nice........

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dirkd1976:

Lorak,

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!! If you havent seen it yet, GO RENT IT!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh, yet another person who reads Aint-it-Cool-News eh? smile.gif Yah I love RAN to death. By coincidence, I just purchased the DVD for Sanjuro this week. Haven't seen it yet though. If you go to AICN, check out the post by Airchinapilot. That's me. I list out my favourite Kurosawa films.

Guest dirkd1976

Another AICN fan......sweet. I'll definetly head over and check out your post on the site, man. Kurosawa is easily my favorite director. That man knows his **** (his business, not a stinking pile of poo.

I just ordered Seven Samurai and Yojimbo from dvdexpress.com. I can't wait for them to get here, seems like I'm always waiting for something to come mailorder!! I live in a constant state of torture as I check the mail every freaking day and there is nothing in my mailbox except the damn bills!! smile.gif

When you get Sanjuro and watch it, let me know how it is. I'm thinking of buying it, but if its crap (which I'm sure it won't be) I'll pass on it. Looking forward to hearing your review! tongue.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by dirkd1976 (edited 07-20-2000).]

Guest dirkd1976

Star Wars!! Do I win the prize?!!

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

IMO, Sanjuro is good, but not up there w/Yojimbo or Seven Samurai. Hidden Fortress is also well worth watching. Guess which blockbuster movie it inspired...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh... Howard the Duck?

I liked Hidden Fortress as well for its humour. Has anyone checked out Shogun: Total War? It looks good but I can never have more than one wargame on my plate.

I would love to see CM used as an engine for a wargame set in other time periods. Not saying Tokugawa Japan but how maybe....Thirty Years War? I just saw another DVD "The Last Valley" set in the Thirty Years War. It's such an interesting period militarily what with the development of cannon and gunpowder with hand to hand combat still prevalent.