Europa-Universalis

This is actually for BTS. There is a fantastic looking strategy game being developed in Sweden -Europa Universalis - which is delayed because they cannot find a U.S. publisher (apparently, not enough US game players like strategy games, and all US publishers look for the next big hit and thus don't fund specialty games like this). Philosophically, this seems right up BTS' alley. Have you guys heard of it? Interested in publishing it? More info at www.europa-universalis.com

Steve

And I third it. According to their message board, it sounds like people have bought the game. I was unable, however, to find any link that allowed that. Stephan, any ideas?

------------------

Did someone compare this to the Ealing comedies? I've shot people for less.

-David Edelstein

Some folks have said that games24.de will ship the German version to the US. From the posts of those who already have the game, however, it appears to be a pretty complex game and reading the manual probably is a must. Hard to do if you can't read German. I guess I'll wait for the English version (US or UK). I'd love it if BTS were interested.

[This message has been edited by eba (edited 10-24-2000).]

You really should wait for the English version if you don't speak German fluently. The game is pretty complex. Isn't there an English version available? In the German version there are some English sentences left over.

Although it's quite fun for an evening or two it's got also a very "board game like" appeal to it. Just like the computer version of Hasrbo's Risk. The game play is pretty limited and there are too many random events. All in all I didn't like Europa Universalis too much but I haven't tried multiplayer yet. Maybe it's better there.

------------------

laid to rest alive

waiting in a shallow grave

mines have learned patience

- Kurtz

Rührt euch!

from their web page

which BTW is VERY hard to read, they have all their type set WAY too small

any way here's how they describe the game and it looks like fun:

EUROPA UNIVERSALIS is a real time strategy game recreating world historyfrom the Age of Discovery (1492) to the advent of the Napoleonic era (1792). The combination of real-time, multiplayer game play and historical accuracy, makes Europa Universalis unique in the genre. Each player controls one of the major powers of the era, such as Spain, England, Prussia, France or Portugal, exactly which ones are available depends on which of the eight different scenarios the players choose. In total, there are over 75 countries in the game that are controlled either by a human player or the artifical intelligence.

The players control most functions of their respective countries concerning warfare, economy and diplomacy. They build and command fleets and armies, explore the world using explorers and conquistadors, discover new lands and natural resources for exploitation and trade, and form alliances to enable or avoid warfare, troop movement and financial support.

However, the player's powers are not unlimited, and their monarch's historical

abilities, or lack thereof, will influence their chances of success.

Historical Real-time Strategy Game based on ten years of research.

Play France, England, Portugal, Spain, Holland, Habsburg, Prussia, Russia,

Venice, Turkey or Sweden and compete for wealth and glory.

Extensive and advanced options for diplomacy, economy, warfare,colonization and exploration, all based on actual historical conditions.

Historically accurate depictions of uniforms, flags, and heraldic coats of

arms for over 60 nations.

Over 700 provinces to conquer and colonize.

Over 150 historical events and missions

provide unique settings and options.

Multiplayer options for up to eight players over LAN or the Internet.

BUT Like EVERYBODY else frown.gif (except BTS of course)

its only runs on a PC (no Mac Version)

so Screw that!

up until that point I thought it might be a Cool game....

oh well, time to pull out the Old Risk board again for Beer and Pretzels night with the guys.

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

from their web page

EUROPA UNIVERSALIS is a real time strategy game ...

The players ... build and command fleets and armies, explore the world using explorers and conquistadors, discover new lands and natural resources for exploitation and trade, and form alliances to enable or avoid warfare, troop movement and financial support.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This sounds dull boring.

- Playing it in real time will take several years just to build one ship or explore some land. frown.gif

- Trading will take months for each sipment to be delivered. frown.gif

- Getting an order through will take a couple of weeks. frown.gif

On the positive side, you don't have to stay alert and watch your computer all the time. Just start the game and then take a look once a day or so to see if anything's happened. smile.gif After a decade or so of continous gameplay you might even have a clue if you're doing fine or not...

Perhaps it's not real time after all, but a very compressed time scale. In that case it's false marketing! mad.gif

Cheers

Olle

[This message has been edited by Olle Petersson (edited 10-25-2000).]

This is the one if you are interested in this period in history. I don´t own it yet but I have heard from beta-testers what it does. It´s a must buy for me.

Meeks. You have no idea how sweet it feels to retribute for the time it takes some US games to be distributed to Sweden.

Seriously, contact me and we can see what can be done.

I'm off to invade Moscow. Again.

Johan

CGO has a review up some time ago, iirc, the review is somewhat mixed. Since I am in the work-place now, I cannot do any search for ya.

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>GriffinCheng+ wrote:

CGO has a review up some time ago, iirc, the review is somewhat mixed. Since I am in the work-place now, I cannot do any search for ya.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually the review(10/6) was very positive giving Europa-Universalis an overall rating of 4.5 stars.

Ron

It sounds a lot like SSI's IMPERIALISM and IMPERIALISM 2 (which ARE available in English). Anyone know the differences?

I'm assuming that E/U is more in-depth.

------------------

"I'm the Quarterback. I make the plays. You back the plays I make." -Harvey Keitel to his adopted son in the movie "Dusk til Dawn" (about 3 hours before they're both ripped apart and eaten alive by vampires)

The game looks interesting and I really enjoy that historical period. Also the fact that it involves territories that are smaller than the major countries I find pretty fascinating as well. Maybe I can take control of a Swiss canton or too and see what kind of havoc I can create in northern 'italy'.

------------------

----

To download my scenarios: go to

http://www3.telus.net/pop_n_fresh/combatmiss/index.htm

• 3 weeks later...