Improvements in AI for CM2

Will there be any improvements with the AI in CM2? I'd like to see more scenario creator control available for the strategic and operational AI. For Example better coordination of attacking units. Perhaps some sort of user defined timing feature, i.e. Artillery only turns 1-5, Infantry attack 5-10, All units attack after turn 10.

Just a thought.

It needs some sort of scripting to become the perfect game. So when designing a mission you could specify the route of approach for different platoons and where they would pause, etc, and wait for others to keep attacks together. I like the artillery suggestion also. Good for softening up positions before an attack.

• 3 months later...
Guest Space Thing

Originally posted by Warren Peace:

Never got an answer to this one. Bump.

CM2 is a work in progress Warren. Maybe it is too early to tell.

Guest Mikey D

Y'know, if we sit here long enough and dream up enough pie-in-the-sky features for CM2, it's bound to be a disappointment when the thing finally arrives and we discover the package only contains a computer game and not the holy grail.

...okay, maybe we won't be so disappointed. But I'm still hoping for individual wrist watches for the troops.

I really think that the answer to this is fairly straightforward. There will be improvements to the AI. From the efforts they have made so far, it seems that BTS will not compromise their next release by including an unimproved version of the CM:BO AI, which IMHO, is among the best (if not the best) currently out there.

OK..several things.

1st, while not perfect the current AI is still the best I have played against. Iam not saying it couldn't be better but it is pretty damn good. Like many of you though I never lose to the AI anymore when I am defending.

Which brings me to my second point, the ideas that Warren and Pham have both seem to concern attacking AI. The flaw in both ideas is that scenarios are designed for play against the AI or humans. Both ideas would screw up multiplayer play. Warrens idea can be partially implimented with the current version bydesigning a scenario in which you start the game with only FOs and receive the rest of the units as reinforcements. If your intent was to make the AI perform a more coordinated and aggresive attack then that won't do the trick. Specifiying routes of approach would also not work well if a scenario were played by two humans.

Just my enlightened and better opinion (worth way more than 2 cents).

------------------

"When they finally put you in the ground..I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down" Elvis Costello

As far as POs go, the AI in CM is great. It does need some help in some areas, mainly in unit deployment. Run a few QBs without FOW, and see how horribly it deploys. Oftentimes Squads will be split far away from HQs, etc. I don't know what is possible, but I do hope this is looked into.

One other idea I had was a way to make the AI work without flags, since many agree that flags are unrealistic. How about putting some faux flags into the scenario designer. These would appear to be 'normal' 100/300 point flags to the AI, but would be invisible to humans and have no effect on VPs.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

Guys, I'm not saying the CM AI is bad, but AIs can always be improved (by definition smile.gif. One of the things I noticed is that the AI tends to move its tanks and infantry out together resulting in the tanks going in first do to their increased rate of speed.

Y'know, if we sit here long enough and dream up enough pie-in-the-sky features for CM2

I don't think suggesting a little bit of scripting is "pie in the sky".

The flaw in both ideas is that scenarios are designed for play against the AI or humans. Both ideas would screw up multiplayer play.

How would it screw up multiplayer? I'm asking for a little more designer control over the STRATEGIC AI not the TACTICAL AI. Strategic AI is off in multiplayer games

However, you are correct that in the current version you could implement some of this by tweaking reinforcement times. The problem is then it would play poorly as a multiplayer game, although I suppose designers could design two versions.

I'm simply asking what BTS sees as likely AI improvements they see in CM2. I thought a little more designer control over the AI might be helpful.

Warren, sorry...you are correct, being able to control the stratigic AI is different than the TacAI..My mistake for not reading your posts more carefully.

------------------

"When they finally put you in the ground..I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down" Elvis Costello

Well, I would already be happy if the AI stops charging my positions with FOs and Mortars... In a recent QB defensive battle against the AI I counted two 150mm FOs lying dead before my MLR. And no, it wasn´t an ambush, the FO-charge began AFTER I had already slaughtered his infantry platoons.

------------------

Klotzen, nicht kleckern!