Anyone using 8MB Video card ??

I've got a Sony PII 333MHz 160MB RAM with a 4MB ATI Rage Pro Turbo (scoff) video card. This is one of these sucky machines where the AGP graphics board is soldered onto the motherboard and is not upgradeable. To upgrade I would have to get a PCI card - which cuts the options down quite a bit. The gold demo runs fine but I do not see any transparent effects such as buildings or smoke. AFAIK I have the most recent drivers-bla bla bla.

I've read in a few messages here that CM has problems with ati and voodoo cards and/or their drivers. I had been thinking of saving up my pennies and getting a new Voodoo 4 or 5 as these will be available as PCI. Maybe the new GeForce2 which will also be available as PCI. However I have got to resist the urge to get a better video board than my computer deserves - otherwise it may get ideas above its station.

Joe

I'm running it on a Pentium 200 MMx, with a - 2MB (No, I am not kidding!) video card on my work computer. It's slow, and the processing time takes a while between turns. The graphic scrolling is a little choppy, but if I take my time, it still works. Minor sacrifice to make to be able to play this game.

CrapGame out

(returning to the defense of the Fatherland)

David,

I've used a P200MMX with a Matrox Mystic 4Mo + Voodoo2 8Mo and it was running very fine. (I have a Celeron500 + GeForce PRO now...better of course).

Just look for an old Voodoo2 for a fair price to join with your actual card and CM will run fine.

good luck,

Stephan

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 05-12-2000).]

Guest GriffinCheng

I have a G3-400 Powerbook for mobile wargaming. Not a mid-road system but it haas a 8MB ATI Rage-128. Quite smooth @ 1024 and no freeze up so far.

Griffin @ work

Guest tom w

I have a G3-333 Powerbook for mobile wargaming. 192 Megs Ram , standard 8 meg VRAM OS 9.04

I have layed the Demo (CE) relentlessly since the minute it was released and it has not locked or froze on me once, not once.

I think the game code is very stable, IMHO

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Miyamoto Musashi:

I'm running an 8mb card on the Mac, but I'm running a little better than middle of the road system... everything's running fine on my comp (transparencies, smoke, etc)... although it has locked up twice for no apparent reason. frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have had a lock up also. Are you playing on an iMac DVSE? Game locked up, cursor could move, sound sounded as if it were going through a loop. I couldn't even force quit. Had to reboot my machine. Thank god for auto save though, I lost next to nothing.

By the way, it locked up when I was deleting a smoke target from my 105 in the Valley of Death scenario. Other than that, the game, in the words of that famous philosopher Herr Cartman is, "Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet."

[This message has been edited by bauhaus (edited 05-12-2000).]