Here you go - utility to view all the movies!

KMan

Well, it ain't exactly ideal, but it will automatically load movie files one after the other. Oh yeah, it also has very little testing on it.

Here is the link to download it from: http://home.worldnet.att.net/~kyleneet/CMMovie

Here is a link to the readme file: http://home.worldnet.att.net/~kyleneet/CMMovie/Latest/CMMovie.html

Here is a snapshot of the screen:

CMMovie.gif

Enjoy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KMan:

Enjoy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haven't tried it yet (will soonest) but I just wanted to say kudos for playing by timestamp instead of some predetermined naming convention (and of course, kudos for the effort at all!).

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iggi:

Nice looking utility. I tried some files at Madmatt's site but they were for the old version. Madmatt, do you have any AAR's that work with the latest patch?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fionn and Claymores latest and current AAR is a v1.05 one.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission and home of the CMMC

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

Thanks a million! Wow! That is a great job that you ve done. Viewing the whole movies is one of the most-requested-features by many people, including me, from the start.

BTW, is it a GNU software? If it is, we may be able to rewrite this in java or whatever and view it in say Mac.

Words here cannot express all my appreciations.

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

I ll take this:

1. After both sides complete their moves, the movie is played showing the execution of moves for both sides. However, the "movie" only show 1 turn ( equiv to 60 sec.). The good thing about this utility is: you can view all the movies whole battle in 1 command.

2. For single player and hot-seat battle, it is kina hard since save is only possible in command mode. Autosave file is generated on the instance right before you hit the "Go" button. For PBEM, a movie file is generated for every move each side made.

3. As 2, for pbem, the recordings are automatic.

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again frown.gif

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng+ (edited 11-27-2000).]

Thanks for all your time and effort. It works perfectly fine. I dug out all the movies files and put them in a separate folder and followed your instructions. Voila! A movie of the whole 20 minute battle with just a short time(maybe 5 seconds) while the next file loads.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>BTW, is it a GNU software? If it is, we may be able to rewrite this in java or whatever and view it in say Mac.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, its not GNU (yet), but I'd be more than happy to share source code (just email me if you want the source). I don't know enough java to know if the same things are possible in java. Basically, what is needed is a way to find windows and pass mouse clicks and key strokes to them. If that can be done portably in java, then there is a chance to make a java version which works on both Mac and PC.

-K

KMan,

Please send it to:

griffincheng@hotmail.com

Let's see if my C/C++ (?) has gone rusty.

Griffin.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KMan:

Well, its not GNU (yet), but I'd be more than happy to share source code (just email me if you want the source). I don't know enough java to know if the same things are possible in java. Basically, what is needed is a way to find windows and pass mouse clicks and key strokes to them. If that can be done portably in java, then there is a chance to make a java version which works on both Mac and PC.

-K<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

With this new utility (which is great BTW), I would like to offer this file naming sequence for fellow pbem'ers. Starting with the 1st minute order phase save the file as filname01a, and e-mail to you opponent, he gives his orders and saves as filename01b, and returns to you, you then watch the movie and save the files as filename01m and send it back to opponent, who watches movie and then gives his orders and saves file as filename02a, back to you for orders and you save as filename02b, and so on, then you take all the filename*m.txt files and place them in one directory and viola! Watch the whole battle replayed before your very eyes!

(PS this was not my original idea, but was taught to me during one of my earliest PBEM games. I wish I remember who taught it to me so I could give them credit, but that was way too many battles ago!)

------------------

Are you gonna pull them pistols? Or whistle Dixie? --- Josey Wales

For all you c++ guys, how about...

You run 2 CM games at the same time. One game gets the even turns and one gets the odd turns. While one movie plays, the other one loads.When one movie finishes, windows swithes you to see the other odd CM movie view. There would be no waiting.

what am I talking about??? Is it possible?

Kman or others,

Just curious but is there a way to play back the movies with FOW turned off. I know it might be subject to abuse but it would be a cool feature to have. Maybe it could be password protected or something or only available when the battle is over.

Just food for thought.

Rod

From Iggi:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>For all you c++ guys, how about...

You run 2 CM games at the same time. One game gets the even turns and one gets the odd turns. While one movie plays, the other one loads.When one movie finishes, windows swithes you to see the other odd CM movie view. There would be no waiting.

what am I talking about??? Is it possible?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh heh...that was the first thought I had, and I spent some time trying to get that to work. It was very unstable to say the least. I finally gave up and went with one copy of CM.

If someone wants to go back and re-visit that, the source code is available. I might try it if I get time and get motivated.

Another interesting thing to try would be to intercept keystrokes to CM, so that "esc" could be replaced by alt arrows for movie navigation.

Another cool thought I had was that the AAR writer could embed some notes in the movie text file, then the viewer could optionally display those notes between movies - kind of an interactive AAR.

-K