Overwriting vs. Numbering PBeM Files

When playing by PBeM which one do you prefer and why. I have a number of PBeM opponents going simultaneously using both methods and I can't figure out why people like them numbered. I find overwriting is much easier to keep track of, it's cleaner, and if I really want to go back and look at a turn I can simply regrab the attachment from the email and rename it then. So what is the purpose of numbering other than draining the HD and confusing your opponent wink.gif. Please enlighten me.

Harold

"I find overwriting is much easier to keep track of, it's cleaner, and if I really want to go back and look at a turn I can simply regrab the attachment from the email and rename it then. So what is the purpose of numbering other than draining the HD and confusing your opponent "

If I read this correctly, by keeping the file attachment, you are taking HD space anyway.

I prefer to number and put a name on the turns and keep the results in it's own PBEM folder - which is named after who and what game we are playing.

Something about overwriting always scares me, and I tend to keep my mail clean as possible.

I recently got in a debate about this with Peng. The only reason I can think of to name and save all files that are sent is if you plan on writing an AAR when you are finished. If I want to do what Harold mentions I go back to the old email and redownload the attachment. One of the few advantages to AOL is that I never delete email (except junk mail) and am able to retieve it, sometimes weeks after it has been sent, without taking up any of my hard drive.

I find the numbered things just clutter up my PBEM folder.

Fuerte, Last time you posted about your PBEM thing the link didn't work but I will try it again now.

------------------

What do we do with a terrible liar? Well, Great liars we send into the clergy.

Good liars we groom for politics. Moderate liars we supply with sherrif's badges

and guns, and the bad liars, well, we make them heroin whores. So what the hell

do we do with the Terrible Liars? Well, it seems we turn them into physicists

called "chrisl." Peng

I keep all the files, numbered consecutively, at least until the battle is over (then I usually forget and keep 'em anyway).

They are useful for tracking whose turn it is when real life intervenes for a few days, or an opponent's email barfs, or his (or my) brain just goes to sleep.

Files do get corrupted.

Utilities like One-Click use that system for tracking.

I can go back and review a situation after a few days lag.

There are some cool and instructional moments and situations to revisit, that would never occur to me to simulate on my own.

Plus, I keep thinking, wouldn't it be cool...

...drum roll...

...if you could save all your turns into one continuous movie?

(Rim shot).

I am not aware that overwriting has never corrupted a file.

My PBEM helper application supports both MAPI and SMTP. If your e-mail client supports MAPI (MAPI32.DLL), then all your files are saved in the Sent folder, so you have a backup. I personally use SMTP just because I don't want my e-mail program to get filled with old PBEM turns. I have all received turns in a separate e-mail folder (automatic Outlook Express mail rule), and that is enough for me.

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Three reasons:

1) If your opponent happens to send you back the wrong file (Maybe the same file you sent him) you will overwrite your original one - so you cannot send it to him again (I have had that happen to me several times. You will not realise this has happened until you try and open it - and by then its too late.

2) If you have free time or while awaiting incoming PBEM files you can open up your last move and review it....I like to watch the good bits again and again!

3) Without numbering you can get confused over who's turn it is, especially if you have more than 10 games going at the same time smile.gif

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

I've run into the "hey, this is the same file you sent me last time" a few times.

Having a couple of latest turns around helps to solve things quickly.

Oh yeah, you also can immediately tell how far along your game is

just by looking at file numbers. It's a good thing if you have a

no-good brain like mine.

[This message has been edited by Jarmo (edited 11-26-2000).]

I rename and overwrite, so to speak.

I have a shortcut to the PBEM directory that I drag and drop pbem.txt files or zipped files too. I clean out the directory manually to keep me from getting confused.

I am not a frequent mailbox cleaner, so all my PBEMS are archived by default.

CDC, you reasons number 1 and 2 are first good reasons I have heard for not overwriting. Perhaps I will rethink my point of view.

------------------

What do we do with a terrible liar? Well, Great liars we send into the clergy.

Good liars we groom for politics. Moderate liars we supply with sherrif's badges

and guns, and the bad liars, well, we make them heroin whores. So what the hell

do we do with the Terrible Liars? Well, it seems we turn them into physicists

called "chrisl." Peng