I see the future...

I have seen the future of wargames. Imagine a mix of CM for ground combat, with a top notch air combat game taking place over the battlefield simultaneously.

Imagine having one group of players on the ground, entire kampfgruppes roaming the countryside, with each vehicle being controlled by a human driver. Above, circling Jabo's look for a break in the cloudcover and praying for an armoured column that has no SPAA. (Wouldn't Wirblewind and Ostwind shine here?) Again each aircraft would have a human pilot.

Can you imagine rolling across a field, lead tank in a wedge of Panthers. On the alert to Shermans possibly hidden in the woods ahead, with an eye(and ear) to the high pitched drone of aircraft engines.

This isn't far off, and I for one can't wait. Yes, I have seen the future of wargames and it is good.

Wasn't the electronic battlefield first perceived by Holobyte back in the late 80's?

I guess at that stage the PCs just weren't capable, or the market just wasn't there!

As for now, who knows?

Mace

[This message has been edited by Mace (edited 08-07-2000).]

Yeah I checked out the site but IMHO it would be kinda stupid. I mean who would want to be a truck or HT driver when they could be in a Konigstiger, Mark IV, or Stuka. And how many people could you get to be infantry? Not many. If they let gamers choose their roles, there will be no balance. I guess they randomly assign players their roles. It might be OK then.

------------------

Ah scheist.

Yeah - I also looked at it today.

Looks interesting and definitely has potential - BUT - if it's anything like the other multiplayer games out there (Team Fortress, Quake, Ultima, etc), they better build in some kind of a**hole filter.

Dollars to donuts that there will be *someone* who revels in ruining games for other players....

Just think, there you are in your Sherman, ready to spring an ambush on a Panther, and your "teammate" starts shooting at you or otherwise screwing up your gaming experience.....

I hope it turns out to be a good gaming experience....we will see.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Minnesota Joe:

Yeah I checked out the site but IMHO it would be kinda stupid. I mean who would want to be a truck or HT driver when they could be in a Konigstiger, Mark IV, or Stuka. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe,

The game is set in 1940. Spit 1's,Bf109e's, MkII's and Renaults were state of the art. No Tigers and Panthers yet.

Don't judge a game until you see a playable version... OK?

------------------

-Rookie

Cactus Air Force Homepage