Bergman's Latest for Christmas - M5/Stuart/M8HMC RELEASED!

Here's a little Christmas present From Marco Bergman biggrin.gif :

LowVisM5.jpg

U.S. M5A1 with blacked out markings

CavM8HMC.jpg

U.S. Cavalry M8 HMC

The release covers the U.S. and Free French M5A1, the British and Canadian Stuart, and the U.S. M8 HMC. Alternate BMPs allow blacked out U.S. markings and U.S. Cavalry versions. Marco (with the generous help of Gordon Molek) has included a full set of batch files to easily swap textures. Full docs included. Hi-res only at this point.

This is on the way to Matt now, and hopefully will go into the "Untested" area quickly for download.

More pics at:

http://www.olddogscmcentral.homestead.com/index.html

Enjoy! And Merry Christmas from Marco, Gordon and I.

- Old Dog

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ales Dvorak:

Great, great,great! Orange thing?

Merry Xmas to all<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's an aerial recognition panel. So those Thunderbolts ruling the skies over Europe won't mistake our friend for the "other" guys. biggrin.gif

-Old Dog

Marco, as usual simply beautiful. I esp like the air rec panel. I had wondered about whether that should be included from time to time. I have seen German pics from early war with their vehicles having their flags drapped across the vehicle.

Guys, notice the baggage hanging from the turret sides, nicely done.

MikeT

I hate to nit-pick, but my understanding is that orange recognition panels were only used briefly after D-Day, as they were considered too easy to confuse with the red Nazi flag sometimes draped over the rear deck or turret of German tanks. Later panels were bright green. (See Cooper, _Death Traps_)

Guest Lord General MB

Sir,

WOW! I WANT THAT NOW! It's amazing...just look at that detail....

------------------

Salute!

Lord General Mr. Bill

Supreme Commander

1st Army

And also coming soon, my "Mikey Mouse Ears" camouflaged version of Marco's Stuart with Guards Armoured Division markings. Spy photo courtesy of Old Dog:

CamoStuart.jpg

Also to be released shortly, my updated camouflaged version of Marco's Firefly/Sherman IIa mod, and camouflaged versions of Marco's Sherman III/V and Stuart Kangaroo mods, all with Guards Armoured Division markings.

Gordon

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bimmer:

I hate to nit-pick, but my understanding is that orange recognition panels were only used briefly after D-Day, as they were considered too easy to confuse with the red Nazi flag sometimes draped over the rear deck or turret of German tanks. Later panels were bright green. (See Cooper, _Death Traps_)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bimmer,

According to Wise "D-Day To Berlin: Armour Camouflage and Markings of the United States, British and German Amries, June 1944 to May 1945", aerial recognition panels were adopted following "blue-on-blue" air attacks on Allied forces during Sicily, and consited of panels of three different colors, with each day's color being released with the other codes the preceding evening. It's also unlikely that many German vehicles were driving around with flags draped on their rear decks during the time frame of CMBO. Cavalry units in particular made significant use of the panels as they were often well in advance of other Allied units, and even more likely to come under mistaken attack.

Gordon

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bimmer:

I defer to your obviously more complete source. I was reading Cooper and happened upon his recollection, which I related above, along with his explanation. Just putting the material out there for those who might be interested.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bimmer,

Actually I just happened to glance at that book in the book store the other day and was tempted to buy it. In general, what do you think of it? Worth to buy? Good tactical descriptions, or more "egghead"? smile.gif

Gordon

I love Bergman's work. I think I have them all. Truly the best mod maker around.

A couple of notes on Canadian tactical markings: The Red & White National Identifier was not used in Northwest Europe. Some examples might still be seen in Italy in '44, but I'm pretty sure it had been phased out by then.

Also, the rear decks on most Shermans carried an air recognition symbol (American star in circle). In Italy this symbol was the British aircraft roundel. I'm not sure if other tanks carried these, but Shermans did for sure.

Belton Cooper's _Death Traps_ is an interesting read. Cooper was ordnance liasion officer in 3rd Armored Div. The book is very good at setting the scene of armored warfare based on his experiences, which primarily dealt with the aftermath. He seems to have been horrified by the vulnerability of the Sherman tank, and spends some time talking about this, along with other coverage of both technical and operational topics. Its a very easy read, and well worth purchasing IMHO. If nothing else it offers a different perspective on the war from most other memoirs I've seen.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Forever Babra:

A couple of notes on Canadian tactical markings: The Red & White National Identifier was not used in Northwest Europe. Some examples might still be seen in Italy in '44, but I'm pretty sure it had been phased out by then.

Also, the rear decks on most Shermans carried an air recognition symbol (American star in circle). In Italy this symbol was the British aircraft roundel. I'm not sure if other tanks carried these, but Shermans did for sure.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info, Formerly B. I try to get the markings as correct as I can given the references I have to hand, but corrections are helpful.

Canadian Shermans certainly used the red/white/red marking in Italy quite often, according to my references. However I could well be wrong about putting it on NW European vehicles.

I will soon be releasing a Sherman tweak pack (Older style hulls, like the Firefly; 3 piece nose option; improved nose texture; hull top with tow-cable.)

What say I include an optional Canadian hull top with star, and hull side without red/white marking?

And can anyone help with Polish markings? I don't have a lot on them.

Fantastic Mod. I have a problem, however, that is driving me nuts. (Marco I e-mailed you about this but figured I would give a bit info..) I installed the mod as usual, ran the US Cav markings .bat and when I look at the Stuart and the M8 How. they look great. But, I look at a Commonwealth Stuart and somehow the .bmp used for the lower chassis is the same as the side turret .bmp of the M8! I try the other batch files but nothing helps. I even went so far as to completely uninstall/reinstall CMBO figuring I had somehow gorked a file. No luck. Any ideas? I have tried to mannually renumber the .bmps but that didn't help either. Since I haven't seen a pile of posts like this I figure I have done something "unique". Any help would be appreciated.

------------------

When one goes tear-assing around, one often ends up with a torn ass.

I second that issue.

I received your excellent mods, and used only the bitmaps i liked, not the batch files for switching. The m5 and m8 have gorgeous light colored armor. The Stuart has light colored nose and turret armor (same bmps at the m5 or m8 i assume) the stuarts rest armor is dark green. Is there any workaround?

thanks and nice work!

THumpre,

Your problem is easily solved, although possibly not to your liking. There was a texture error in the original versions of the game, just as you described. This has only just been fixed in the 1.1B series of patches. So to fix it, you need to be running v1.1b24.

Spii,

The problem here is that BTS have shared the entire turret and the hull front textures between the M5/M8 and the Stuart V. That means that if you run a US/FF batch, you MUST use US/FF vehicles. If you run a Commonwealth batch, you MUST use Commonwealth vehicles. There's no way around this.

You have to use all US or all British or all...etc.

The Sherman II is going to suffer exactly the same problem, and probably others too that I'm not yet aware of.

I covered this in the first part of the docs, but I apologise for not making it clearer.

Now, at this point you're saying "but I'm not using the batch files, so answer my question"

That's true, but I wanted to slip in the above explanation just in case anyone else was wondering.

The best I can do for you is that tonight I will make a plain-pack version; everything will be in the US olive drab. That's the only way around this for you.

You will end up with the same turret for BOTH M5 & Stuart, but distinct hulls.

( I was waiting for someone to come up with this... Told-ya-so, Old Dog. smile.gif )

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marco Bergman:

Thanks for the info, Formerly B. I try to get the markings as correct as I can given the references I have to hand, but corrections are helpful.

Canadian Shermans certainly used the red/white/red marking in Italy quite often, according to my references. However I could well be wrong about putting it on NW European vehicles.

I will soon be releasing a Sherman tweak pack (Older style hulls, like the Firefly; 3 piece nose option; improved nose texture; hull top with tow-cable.)

What say I include an optional Canadian hull top with star, and hull side without red/white marking?

And can anyone help with Polish markings? I don't have a lot on them.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to this web site on the Canadian Armoured Corps:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/chrjohnson/

it appears that the AFV recognition sign was not used in NWE. Too bad, it looks cool. Still looking for more info on Polish formations.

Gordon

Marco:

Thanks for the response (sigh- as I suspected) as to the turrent /hull problems with the Stuart. Man I'd LOVE to have had your US AND Brit/Ca for that tank. Your Mods are THAT good. So from me and all others I am sure, we appreciate your work, dedication and skill.

When I go back and look at the v 1.0 textures to what I am running now, it's amazing. Your work is at the head of the class. A Marco, along with one or two others has my immediate attention.

Thanks agian for making CM so much better and the fun place and game it is.