The difference?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

Ricochet= shell strikes glancing blow and bounces off.

Shell broke up= shell shattered on impact without penetrating the armor.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

but both dont penetrate... I'm confused...bouncing off and shattering is to me both did not penatrate... or is my definition of penatrate off??

The effective difference is that richochets do land somewhere, oftentimes on the weak side armor of your nearby halftrack, with devastating effect. Shatterd shells have no potential aftereffect.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

a riccochet means the shell hit the target, but bounced off without damaging the tank (much). maybe because it hit a a large angle.

the shell breaking away means that when the shell hit the target, it broke apart, like throwing a cookie at a wall. maybe because the shell was weak, or the target's armor was too strong.

both would mean that the target was not damaged.

------------------

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! -

THIS SIG FILE BELONGS TO A COMPLETE FOO.

MR T WOULDN'T BE SO KIND AS TO WRINKLE AN EYEBROW AT THIS UNFORTUNATE BEING. PLEASE OFFER HIS PARENTS AND COHABITANTS ALL SYMPATHY POSSIBLE. MAY BE CONTAGIOUS. CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL SWEETNER, INTELLIGENCE AND WIT. STAND WELL CLEAR AND LIGHT WICK. BY ORDER PETERNZ

Damn Croda. That is one funny sig!!!

must suck to be you - Hiram Sedai

Here is a Babelfish (GO Translator) version. I have no idea what it says, is it funny?

Un ricochet significa che la pallottola ha colpito l'armatura su un angolo e rimbalza fuori senza nuoc il veicolo. La pallottola può continuare a volare in un nuovo qualcos'altro di hurt e di senso.

Se la pallottola si rompe in su, non frantuma e fa danno. Alcune pallottole erano male manufactured o erano semplicemente troppo deboli per sconfiggere l'armatura.

NO, the opposite.

The ricochet goes away, but it remains a bullet, and can hurt another vehicle if it hits it. It could bounce off a tank, without hurting the tank, but then it could hit a truck or half-track and still kill it.

The broken up shell only disappears. It will not hurt anything.

NO, l'opposto.

Il ricochet va via, ma rimane una pallottola e può danneggiare un altro veicolo se lo colpisce. Potrebbe rimbalzare fuori d'unserbatoio, senza danneggiare il serbatoio, ma allora potrebbe colpire un camion o half-track ed ancora ucciderlo.

Rotto sulle coperture sparisce soltanto. Non danneggerà nulla.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Francesco:

Message for wwb_99: I don't speak english very well but I made three years of latin, here, in Italy so (only to advise you):

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutant!

Bye!

Francesco<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My latin is a bit rusty, and I have checked with some sources (i.e. Professors), so I am pretty sure my quote is correct.

Salutant=they salute you

Salatamus=we salute you

In translation it reads,

Hail Caesar! We who are about to die salute you.

WWB

------------------

To make this even more confusing, sometimes you get "[Front turret hit], no serious damage." This usually occurs with hollow charge weapons such as bazookas and panzerfausts. It means that the force of the explosion wasn't enough to blast through the tank's armor, but the hollowcharge didn't just break up or bounce off.

Some good analogies have already been presented here, but here's a great one. Imagine the shell is a marble, and a tank's armor is the floor. Throw the marble streight down at the floor. It will shatter; the shell broke up. Now throw the marble so it hits the floor at an angle. It won't shatter, it will bounce off and fly in a different direction. It ricocheted. If it bounces and hits a vase, it ricocheted off the tank and hit a halftrack, like wwb 99 was saying.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

[This message has been edited by 109 Gustav (edited 12-13-2000).]

just out of curiosity...has anyone ever actually seen a ricocheting shell hit another vehicle?

------------------

"I'm the Quarterback. I make the plays. You back the plays I make." -Harvey Keitel to his adopted son in the movie "Dusk til Dawn" (about 3 hours before they're both ripped apart and eaten alive by vampires)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wwb_99:

My latin is a bit rusty, and I have checked with some sources (i.e. Professors), so I am pretty sure my quote is correct.

Salutant=they salute you

Salatamus=we salute you

In translation it reads,

WWB

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WWB,

I suck in English and I haven't a clue in Latin, but Francesco is right smile.gif

The academic way is salatamus for we, but the gladiators are using a impersonal (sp?) way of said it in which they call themselves as they... This is usual in today Spanish and other Latin derivates languages.

So, Moriture te salutant implies a non-personal form of we, different to salatamus... I hope this is clear... smile.gif

In Spanish work this way:

With salatamus: Los que moriremos (we) te saludamos (salatamus)

With salutant: Los que moriran (they) te saludan (salutant)

Both ways could be used, but the second implies a de-personalization of the people who said it, the ones which will die... Also implies that the one saluting could not be the dead smile.gif

is very difficult to explain this subtles things in English to me... I hope this help.

Ariel

p.s. Your signature is wrong tongue.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wwb_99:

Salutant=they salute you

Salatamus=we salute you

In translation it reads,

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reminds me of the AC/DC song and album: "For Those About to Rock, We Salute You!" tongue.gifbiggrin.gif BTW, cannon fire is used in that song. eek.gif

This is the second time I have gone through the 'signature is wrong' thing. Last time it was actually a type-o. I do see what you are saying. Then again I see what Bartlets Quotations reports it as. So I am at a quandry as to whom to believe. The native romance speakers have a point, but then again so do the British academics. I guess it is time for a new sig.

WWB

------------------

I have seen a couple of weird things-

Once, a 75mm shell struck my Tiger II's front, and bounced damn near straight up and BACK across the field, and hit one of the other guy's own intantry units.

The posts about the shattering shells not doing anything are wrong.

I've read an account where a shell broke while an HQ unit was attempting to assault, and caused like 2 or 3 casualties.

The 75mm shell tho- that's just freaky!

------------------

-Rebel out!-

"The only thing more accurate then incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire" -Murphy