OT - Hasbro attacking HPS???

Hawk

Hi folks,

I know this is way OT, but since HPS is a small independent company much like BTS, I thought it might be of some interest.

Grumbling rant mode on

According to a rumour I heard recently, Hasbro is taking legal action against HPS ( www.hpssims.com , makers of fine games like "Panthers in the Shadow", "Tigers on the Prowl", "Aide de Camp" (ok, it's not a game, I know!),"Panzer Campains" etc) since HPS's latest games ("Panzer Campaigns" among others) are too similar to some now Hasbro owned games (they have indeed been made by the same people, so...).

Can anyone confirm this?

I thought about writing what I really think about Hasbro, but that would probably result in a legal action against me as well! frown.gif

Grumbling rant mode off

Hawk

(my apologies in advance if this post is considered inappropriated by the moderators)

------------------

Our's is not to reason why, our's is but to do and die!

(why oh why can't I ever get the UBB code correct the first time!!!!!)

[This message has been edited by Hawk (edited 11-15-2000).]

Gee, Its funny you mentioned this not five minutes ago I was browsing the CDMAG site, where they have just posted an article on HPS latest game. I thought to myself gee these graphics look familar! I think John Tiller use to work for Talonsoft before the the sell off.

Not to worry just rambling.

I would appreciate if you could post a link as to where you read of this information---newsgroup, review site, press release, whatever. The primary company earlier on that has been the most contentious towards HPS has been Take2 (with TalonSoft under its wings), and this rumor about Hasbro also going after HPS seems a bit too out of the blue to me.

What games are now owned by Hasbro that were earlier developed by Tiller et al?

Or was it Take2/TalonSoft that you meant to say? It was TalonSoft where John Tiller worked priorhand until 1999. And the HPS development of Tiller's "Napoleonic/ACW Campaign Series" has been put on hold pending "legal concerns" related by Take2. But that news is a couple of months old.

Well, there's a rub in that regarding the art. HPS & Tiller pretty much went to great effort to ensure that the 2D/3D art of the "Panzer Campaigns Series" would be sufficiently different than for the TalonSoft platoon-level WW2 "Campaign Series" (EF/WF/RS). And that TalonSoft series is the closest thing that can draw comparison IF you are talking only of artwork.

So again, what does Hasbro have as a "wargame" that Hasbro is alleged to draw a comparison to with the HPS PzC series?

Guest Andrew Hedges

You mean you haven't seen the demo for Hasbro's "Kharkov 42-24-36?" It's based on their "Squad Leader" game, except it involves a squad of buxom female submachine-gunners in the Soviet Army. When they're not fighting the Nazi hordes, they give each other makeovers. Like Hasbro's SL, morale depends on issues outside the battlefield, including "bad news from home" and "broke a nail."

This Hasbro **** has got to stop! And I'm talking about it buying up all these other companies and then putting out sub-standard games under well known names such as Squad Leader.

I will never, E-E-E-VER buy a Hasbro game A-GAIN!

------------------

--"We want information."

--"Information."

--"Information."

--"Who are you?"

--"The new Number 2."

--"Who is Number 1?"

--"You are Number 6."

--"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

--"Hahahahahahahaha."

OK, Andrew, that was a good shot of humor. wink.gif You would find, though, that the "Barbie meets WW2" topic actually got touched on earlier in this forum months ago if you do a search with Barbie as the keyword. If you find the thread that I recall, you should get a good laugh. biggrin.gif

BUT......I would like to see it confirmed whether or not Hasbro is REALLY giving HPS some legal hassles. I haven't found such news yet, and the rumor mill doesn't cut it for me here.

Tell you what, Andrew. To save time, here you go from the forum archives. Courtesy of Slapdragon.

------------------------

The Meeting Engagement

By Steve Jackson

Ken orders his Mark VI to stop. The metal of the heavy Panzer is biting cold as he removes his gloves and pulls out his map. The American "Seventeen" Armored Divison is up ahead, commanded by his old flame Barbie. Why oh why did the Americans allow women into combat? Was it political correctness, desperation, something else?

"What the matter Ken?" his driver Mark says. Ken shakes his head. "We are going to kill a friend. Sometime Ken wonders how the world came to be this way. His flat grey tank with the black racing stripes learches forward as Mark gives the gas. He could remember a time when the driver of his tank would be named Hans or something respectable, but no more, now it is Mark, and Jeff, and Scott. And he is Ken.

Suddenly he turns, from the side he sees it, a Sherman! And Barbie is in the turret wearing fashionable tankers cloths with a Armin Coteia leather jacket, a wool scarf, and a bikers helmet. How could this happen? How could Barbie do this?

The lime green Sherman tank, called an I-tank, pulls a stop and its deadly 76 trains on Ken's "Endangered Large Cat" tank (he remembered when they could call them Tigers and Panthers...). He hears her call out, "Ken -- I never thought I would see you again!"

"Barbie, great tank! Well, get it over with! Its over, and now you have one, shoot!"

"Ken, don't you see, I still have a crush on you! Can't we hold hands like we used to?"

Ken remembered a time when he thought of more than holding hands, that was before General Hasbro came to the Army. "And a picnic lunch Barbie! We could have a picnic lunch! With the rest of our crews!"

Barbie squeels, as her multi-ethnic, multi-gendered tank crew pokes their heads from her tank. Fran, the Lesbian West Indian Sous Chef, Tommy, the deaf, mute, and blind accordian player - tank gunner from Seattle. Lewis, the 75 year old retired driver who is just doing this to be "with young people", her whole crew looked over joyed.

Barbie and Ken climb from their tanks and run together, kissing each other on the cheek. The world is good!

"Ken", Barbie says shyly, "How about we go to a prayer meeting after the battle and then help out at the nursing home they have set up at Corps HQ"

"Sounds swell Barbie!"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

You mean you haven't seen the demo for Hasbro's "Kharkov 42-24-36?" It's based on their "Squad Leader" game, except it involves a squad of buxom female submachine-gunners in the Soviet Army. When they're not fighting the Nazi hordes, they give each other makeovers. Like Hasbro's SL, morale depends on issues outside the battlefield, including "bad news from home" and "broke a nail."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

man where can i get that? sounds like a lot of fun =g=

andy

Howerver, Petra Vrkaik is a living barbie doll, and perhaps she is from the Kharkov area (sorry i you guys dont know Petra).

All right, i'll bite.....

Never heard of her !

Who IS she ?

Do we get a screen shot ?