Historical accuracy or bug?

Raze

Julius Caeser = France (Gaul) gets whipped.

100 Year War = France gets whipped. Embaressing to have an English King own a big swath of your country... wink.gif

French and Indian War (many different names) = France gets whipped. I mean, they lost an entire country right there! (Canada)

Napoleonic War = ALMOST successful, but result is... wait for it... France gets whipped.

Franco-Prussian War = France gets whipped.

The Great War = France gets whipped, saved by UK and USA.

Big Brawl Deuce = France gets whipped HARDCORE, works for Nazis.

French Indochina = France gets whipped, so do we. (USA) Damn.

Algeria = France gets whipped.

End result of history? France gets... biggrin.gif whipped biggrin.gif

*I/O runs like hell from all French-speaking forums members, French citizens, and moderators*

tongue.gif

"whipped" not "wiped"

biggrin.gif

War of 1812? More like a draw, really. The British and Canadians just figured it wasn't worth it. No real gains by anybody, really...

P.S. The "Canadians" were actually British Army Regulars. Like ANYBODY in the world was going to win against THEM?!

Well, not in 1812, that's for damn sure! smile.gif

(After they cut their teeth on the French, they had a good hard core of troops with which to beat ANYBODY.)

But I mean, c'mon, the French win/loss ratio is pretty stinking absymal.

(Don't ask me to spell that last word right, I just don't care enough. smile.gif )

Huh? Canada whipped the US in 1812? IIRC the US took over Canada but then gave it back to them because who in the hell would wanna live up there in the cold? We did the same with Mexico. Took it over in the Spanish-American War, but then gave it back.

------------------

"Live by the sword, live a good LONG life!"-Minsc, BGII

As much as I would really like to agree with you, even I (Uber-Nationalist American) have to admit that we got spanked up north by the Brits.

True, we won in New Orleans, but I mean c'mon. They burnt Washington to the ground, and you want to tell me we WON?

:P

Ah well. We made up for it.

OK.

Canada did assist in stopping the US twice from conquering Canada, the War for The Fourteenth Colony and the War of 1812.

Mexico was not an issue in the Spanish-American War as Mexico was independent well before that (1820s ?).

During the Mexican-American War of 1847 we did smash the Mexicans and we did keep (though we gave them money) over half of the country.

Guess who advised and provided the model for a field army to the Mexicans? - hold on - it was the French!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I/O Error:

PS The "Canadians" were actually British Army Regulars. Like ANYBODY in the world was going to win against THEM?!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remember this! At Lundy's Lane, those were not Reg Army Brits, those were Canadians in Brit Uniforms, basically the Militia. The Canadian Militia fought in every battle, omit the burning of YOUR capital, Washington and at New Orleans!

BTW: When I said <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Like ANYBODY in the world was going to win against THEM?!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I meant that the "THEM" were British Army Regulars.

I mean, by that time the Brits had a battle-hardened force of professional soldiers. Like a 40-year-old-nation will be able to get good enough troops to beat them EVERYTIME?

But we won anyway. /me scratches head on that one... biggrin.gif

Sure, the UK won the war of 1812. However this allowed the continuation of UK ships to seize US flagged ships, indenture (aka Slavery) the sailors, pirate the ships, and rip off all the cargo. The US declared war on the UK, not Canada. Canada wasn't a sovereign nation (aka Colony). Congrats to the Canadians who fought diligently to uphold Pirating! The US had a small maritime and a very small standing army. Yet, they stood up for themselves and fought the injustice's being done upon their nation.

Canada didn't get rid of UK until after World War 2. The Canadian's bought their freedom by sacrificing their men and woman in a war of Europe. Don't fail to forget that the crown rewarded valiant generals by granting them land. Canada was a Prize nation.

And for those who have forgotten, the PM of Canada swears an oath to none other than the Queen of England. HAH!

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lacky:

Sure, the UK won the war of 1812. However this allowed the continuation of UK ships to seize US flagged ships, indenture (aka Slavery) the sailors, pirate the ships, and rip off all the cargo.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We Canadians (Former brits and frenchies)

don't really like the term "Pirate" we prefer the word privateer... biggrin.gif

BTW... Our boys set the torch to the Yanky national capital and if they don't behave themselves we will be forced to oblige them again. biggrin.gif (For those lacking perception I am JOKING!)

------------------

"The world is wide, and I will not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum."

[This message has been edited by Der Unbekannte Jäger (edited 12-29-2000).]

I never read all the posts thoroughly but I wish to advise anyone that might put down Canadians speaking as one myself not to bother; we do it enough ourselves; constantly. I've always thought of Canada as little brother nation to the USA, and by the way Maximus it isn't that cold up here, the majority of us do not consider snowshoes as daily outerwear in case you were unaware of that. If I had a chance to vote on it I'd vote my province into the USA (B.C). Since I was a young one I grew up on American media more than or just as much as Canadian Media. The only difference we really feel to our southern brothers is that we have a crappy government that spends all of the 55% valued dollar bills on whatever turns they're crank, usually a plane trip, first class and accommodations, first class to see the stupid queen and say hello.

If you are Canadian and feel insulted by this so be it, I'm Canadian and I speak for many Canadians that feel much the same on the Westcoast.

No! I don't have actual proof of this statement but I have seen several similar discussion on talk shows, newscasts and local magazine as and newspapers as well as word of mouth. Don't tell me I don't have any national pride either that flew out the window years ago with GST. If I ever get my act together and get a high enough job my wages will be in the 50% tax bracket then you can call me a resident of Oregon or Washington State.

Sorry for venting, I feel very opinionated today.

Johnno

Visit my growing website the Dogs of War at:

http://members.tripod.com/johnnocm

Don't worry, this thread was REALLY started just so we could bash the frogs...

biggrin.gif

(If you're French and that last comment DIDN'T offend you, I tip my hat to you. smile.gif )

Anyway, way I figure it, Canada and the United States should have joined together years ago. Imagine what the two countries combined could pull off...

Heh heh heh... *evil chuckle*

But then, I'm just an old-style Imperialist Running Dog, so what do I know? tongue.gif

Canada + USA = Dominion of the Free

(That's right, think that last part over a few times. Doesn't make much sense, does it? biggrin.gif )

------------------

Honor, Duty, Courage.

Valhalla awaits you, honorable warrior...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I/O Error:

Of course, the whole debate I see brewing is a little pointless, because in the end, we DID win... smile.gif

Can we get back to French-hating now?! wink.giftongue.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hwo did you win explaine that please?

Rob: Umm... My friend, we won because the British surrendered...

You know, it IS in the history books... wink.gif

The British simply became sick of the war with us and felt it was more advantageous to appease the nation and use us as a useful source for raw materials against the French.

At that time, we were a breadbasket to the British Empire, and little more. Don't bite the hand that feeds you, they figured. (literally)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Johnno:

I never read all the posts thoroughly but I wish to advise anyone that might put down Canadians speaking as one myself not to bother; we do it enough ourselves; constantly. I've always thought of Canada as little brother nation to the USA, and by the way Maximus it isn't that cold up here, the majority of us do not consider snowshoes as daily outerwear in case you were unaware of that. If I had a chance to vote on it I'd vote my province into the USA (B.C). Since I was a young one I grew up on American media more than or just as much as Canadian Media. The only difference we really feel to our southern brothers is that we have a crappy government that spends all of the 55% valued dollar bills on whatever turns they're crank, usually a plane trip, first class and accommodations, first class to see the stupid queen and say hello.

If you are Canadian and feel insulted by this so be it, I'm Canadian and I speak for many Canadians that feel much the same on the Westcoast.

No! I don't have actual proof of this statement but I have seen several similar discussion on talk shows, newscasts and local magazine as and newspapers as well as word of mouth. Don't tell me I don't have any national pride either that flew out the window years ago with GST. If I ever get my act together and get a high enough job my wages will be in the 50% tax bracket then you can call me a resident of Oregon or Washington State.

Sorry for venting, I feel very opinionated today.

Johnno

Visit my growing website the Dogs of War at:

http://members.tripod.com/johnnocm <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Woow someone from B.C well I am against joing the Americans other then joing with there dollor..hehe