At witch distance a sniper can shoot

frag

I'm just wondering ... do someone made some testing to know at witch distance a sharpshooter can shoot in CM?

I know that in stallingrad, most sniper shoot to a maximum of 300 meters (they are somme guys who are able more than that).

Am I wrong or sharpshooter don't seem so effective at long range in CM?

It will surely have to change, because if CM2 is talking about the Russian front, those snipers make a BIG difference in the fight of Stallingrad.

[This message has been edited by frag (edited 09-22-2000).]

There are no snipers in CM, only sharpshooters. They can fire within the range of their rifle, and their chance of hitting depends on their experience, among other things. They will not fire at point-blank range, as this would attract return fire they cannot cope with.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

Guest Rollstoy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Havermeyer:

Roughly 300-350 broomsticks...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, it was obviously only a matter of time ...

A sniper is highly trained in the art of stealth and camouflage, and his specific purpose is to take out high-value targets, be they high-ranking enemy officers, or soldiers in charge of important enemy assets. He operates alone, often behind enemy lines.

A sharpshooter is just a soldier who can shoot well. His job is to support the infantry by killing important enemy personnel such as tank commanders and officers, or just generally harass the enemy, slowing their advance or confusing them as to the location of his colleagues.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

OK I see ... because I knew well the sniper (I had read a couple of book about them) but never heard about sharpshooter. I tougth that Big Time Software had just changed the name of the sniper for sharpshooter... but I was wrong.

Thanks for the information guys!

The best "common man" example of a sharpshooter that I can think of would be the man carring the scoped M1903 in Saving Private Ryan. Cant really think of a hollywood version of the sniper that comes close to how they are employed but perhaps the movie "Sniper" with Tom Berrenger comes closest to techniques and use of camouflage. Actually scoped rifles were a common occurence in WWII, at least as far as the TO&E were concerned. Most early war army and marine infantry had a few designated in every platoon if not one per squad. Today, we only have snipers in the light units. Three sniper teams per battalion. They are very rarely used and their usefulness varies with whom you ask. I was responsible for the three teams in my battalion, but since they were integral to my three scout teams they very rarely got to perform as snipers. Good for observation and getting in close to an objective but for the most part the sniper rifle was just unwanted extra weight. Sniper usefulness on any battle field is debateable as well, except for the effect on enemy morale. Take out a leader and in most armies another will step forward, but its great for shaking up the men! Of course, once they get their hands on you all bets are off (i.e. Full Metal Jacket)

I thought there is not much difference between sharpshooters and snipers. I don't have any idea how it is in other armies, but in the modern german army the "Scharfschütze" does take both roles.

In his squad he acts as assistence squat leader ( i.e. leads the half squad) and in combat he should go after targets at medium to long range. Note that the Scharfschütze has to fullfill any other combat duties as the "ordinary" squad members when acting as part of the squad.

However, he is also trained for typical sniper missions. Reccon duties, infiltration, TC hunting and the like.

Sometimes stressfull but at least you don't have to carry the heavy infantry equipment.

------------------

Very strong because Mikrowaben!

• 11 months later...