No comments about air support from those that have CM?

Hasn't anyone who has CM now been playing around with Air Support? P-47's, flak batteries, etc.?

Let's hear some comments troopers! Is it a thrill to watch the planes brew up some high priority targets or not?

------------------

BJ Simpson

Visit www.arrl.org for information about Ham Radio.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

I think it is represented quite well, without robbing anything from the rest of the game. You only see a "shadow" streak along the ground with airplane noises. Then...ratatatat ka-boom! Tripple A resources seem to get targeted first, then once they are neutralized, the aircraft loiter for a few turns straifing and causing all sorts of mayhem. It works pretty good, and yet is not overly disruptive. Balanced well, methinks.

Zamo

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kb9sog:

Is it a thrill to watch the planes brew up some high priority targets or not?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on who's the brewer and who's the brewee...ask Moon and Fionn. wink.gif

------------------

The dead know only one thing - it is better to be alive

It's not a thrill to be subject to multiple turns of air attacks and seeing your armor brewed up over and over. Fortunately the AC miss also but you don't want on be on the receiving end. ;)

A single 20mm for AA doesn't cut it.

Ghost

I have been playing around with air power. It is handled really well. I watched a as a plane attacked a Panther then came around again and wiped-out a Sherman and strafed a column of men.

In another game, a Hellcat took out a Panther just before the plane made its run. Well the plane still hit the Panther killing the just bailed out crew.

Just today I watched a plane drop two 500lb bombs on an abandon Pzr IVJ. The fact that the pilots make mistakes really makes airpower a dangerous thing.

The shadow on the ground also is a magically touch. I think brings the sense of doom and dread better than if they actually modeled a plane.

Ok. 4 Air raids in My case.

3 times my already destroyed tanks were getting bombed. 1 immobilized and one top penetration - who cares these tanks were dead already.

4th raid droped a bomb between 2 JagdPanters and immobilized one damaged gun on the other.

Has anyone heard of or seen any friendly fire from airstrikes.

When you call an air strike, is it possible for the airstrike to hit friendly AFVs?

Has this happened to anyone?

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TomW and MikeOz:

There is or was an article on CMHQ about air support showing the answers to both your questions.

AS for my experiences with air power, beware 500# bombs more than rockets. The kill radius of the bomb vs. soft-skinned vehicles is at least 60m..... I had a column of SdkFz 7/1s and 7/2s spaced about 20m apart. A bomb landed about 20m off the road beside one vehicle and destroyed it and the 2 ahead and behind it, for a total of 5 kills with 1 bomb.

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mick_Oz:

Just curious, what happens if ground fire takes out one of the attacking planes... how is this represented?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It isn't. I haven't personally experienced an air attack yet, but the manual says there will be no ground fire against aircraft. However, if you have AA, it can fire at, and hit, the plane. If the plane is hit, there is a possibility that it will land on the map.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Err, Juardis, my impression is completely different then yours... I don't think shot down planes land on the map. They jsut stop straffing you. Vehicles with AA MGs will shoot up at attacking planes. They probably won't shoot it down, but may scare it off.

I made up a scenario that was a totally flat map, about 3 km long, by 1.5 km wide. 6 Sherman Jumbos vs. 6 King Tigers, each side also got an AA gun. I then sent in about 10 air attacks per side (it's kinda of amusing to see 6 or 7 targetting lines rotating about a tank...) The bombers did seem to take out the AA first. The tanks shot back at the attacking planes, but didn't seem to do a whole lot. The bombs seemed to be much more effective then the the rockets (though, this is on _extremely_ hard targets...) Suprisingly, I only lost one Sherman and the AA gun by the time all the Germans had been knocked out...

"I then sent in about 10 air attacks per side"

Did you say 10 per SIDE?

I never occured to me that the Krouts might be able to call in air strikes as well as I figured by this time in the war the air over Europe was OWNED by the Allies.

But that sure does help for play balance

so you are saying both sides can be given air strikes in the scenario editor? Wel I must be an idiot because I figured only the Allies would have the capability.

GREAT!

I can't wait to play with air strikes

Bombs Away!

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the time period represented by CM, the Allied air forces had it pretty much their own way in NW Europe.I think poor weather was more of a hindrance to them then the Luftwaffe. I personally would not use air support to balance a scenario- but I agree that watching the fireworks would be an awful lot of fun though...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

"I then sent in about 10 air attacks per side"

Did you say 10 per SIDE?

I never occured to me that the Krouts might be able to call in air strikes as well as I figured by this time in the war the air over Europe was OWNED by the Allies.

-tom w

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, yes, you can create scenarios with air support for the Germans, both in Quick Battles and the Scenario creator. Just screwing around, I made a quick battle with both sides getting fighter bomber support. Problem is, I never knew who was killing what. As has been said above, all you see is a plane silhouette scream by on the ground. Bombs, rockets, and strafing fire came down, hitting various things. I'll have to hope that each sides airforce was attacking the correct targets! smile.gif

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.