TCP/IP 1.1 Beta status

A couple of TCP/IP functionality questions. Sorry if this has been covered in earlier weeks, as I haven't been reading the board in a while.

1) Is the same amount of data transfered between the two computers as in a PBEM. What I mean by this is, let's say you're playing a large battle, a battle that each PBEM file would be about 1MB a piece. In TCP/IP, will the computer still be transfering this large amount of data after each move plot, or has it been programmed to generate the movies on BOTH computers, thus cutting back on the time it takes to transfer data between turns.

2) If you start a TCP/IP game, can it be saved to be picked up later? I'm assuming yes for sure on this one, but just thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks.

Yes, these were covered...but so you know...

1. No, moves can NOT be generated on both computers at the same time due to a problem with the math fpu. No, they can assume that with tcp/ip play each turn does NOT be be resent the map or oob, hence the files are smaller then pbem. It works well..

2. Yes, you can save and come back and play as tcp/ip, or pbem, or hot seat after you save.

Rune

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jshandorf:

As I, Hiram. Then I can crush you in real time. wink.gif

Jeff<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wrong thread, butt-head. I rhymed again!!

------------------

An another thing...Ah've go' ten gams on at the moment, boot Ah've sain more mooves out o' a geriatric Japanese peasant lassie! If'n mah opponent's nae climbin' Ben Everest, they're gaddin' aboot some tank museum in Moscow! Yoo that are laift, send mae a bloody turrrn, ye cowerring swine! - OGSF

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spacewrangler:

1) Is the same amount of data transfered between the two computers as in a PBEM. What I mean by this is, let's say you're playing a large battle, a battle that each PBEM file would be about 1MB a piece. In TCP/IP, will the computer still be transfering this large amount of data after each move plot, or has it been programmed to generate the movies on BOTH computers, thus cutting back on the time it takes to transfer data between turns.

2) If you start a TCP/IP game, can it be saved to be picked up later? I'm assuming yes for sure on this one, but just thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The amount of data is less than the amount of the PBEM file because it won't have to contain the map data because each computer already knows this information. The only information, from what I gather, that will be transfered is the order information and the movie calculations, of which this part is done by the faster computer in the game.

And yes, you will be able to save and restart a TCP/IP game as a hot seat or PBEM game just like you can do now between hot seat and PBEM.

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spacewrangler:

Thanks for the info, Rune. Your second answer brought up another question. Can I take an existing PBEM and play it as TCP/IP? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, save the game and when you reload you can specify it to now to be a PBEM, Hotseat or Network game.

Madmatt

ALL YOU GUYS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BY GODS TCP/IP. TONIGHT I CLAIM A VICTIM. MI-GO DID YOU HEAR ME? STEVE,CHARLES,MATT,DOG, AND ALL THE OTHERS THAT TESTED (LIKE FIONN) THANKS.

AHHHHHHHHHH

WOOOOOHOOOOOO

------------------

Sir are you sure you want to go to red alert...it would mean changing the bulb

-Priest

I know the answer will probably be "its ready when its ready," but I need to at least ask the question:

Will the 1.1 patch be available this evening? I don't want to wait up if its not. (with work tomorrow and all) wink.gif

Thanks to everyone involved in CM! I haven't opened my CD Drive since I received the game way back when.