Trying to get infantry organized into building

Hello,

Could someone tell me why I can't get infantry to get into small area (for example house) in organized manner? At least I seem to have problems trying to get troops to hide into buildings without pushing others out... like when I had 1 squad and PIAT in building and moved squad to one corner, and then moved PIAT to corner next to it. Well result was that my squad told my PIAT guys that this side of house is ours and you have to go to opposite corner, and result was that my PIAT was facing wrong direction and enemy tank didn't get hole in its side.

I think we should be able to group units together much closer than we currently can. Probably we should be given some kind of penalty for doing that (like "overstacking penalty" when someone shoots at you and all your men are standing very close to each others). But I know it can be frustrating when you can't get 2 man AT team into building because it is too full or other men are just standing in same side of house.

------------------

--

jK.MkIII

Small buildings can really only handle one squad an a team. Any more and someone has to leave.

The houses are pretty small, and 10 guys all trying to get some space to use their weapons is more than enough. Cram 20 guys in and things start getting dangerous, especially if you're being shot at!

PeterNZ

Originally posted by Splinty:

Keep in mind the backblast factor from the AT weapon,you could fry the other squad or set the building on fire(I found this out the hard way)

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the PIAT spring loaded. There should not be a backblast for that weapon.

------------------

Navare

"I am determined to prove a villian..."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Navare:

Originally posted by Splinty:

Keep in mind the backblast factor from the AT weapon,you could fry the other squad or set the building on fire(I found this out the hard way)

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the PIAT spring loaded. There should not be a backblast for that weapon.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand that in CM there is no back blast from a PIAT.

Its the 'fausts and 'zooks that will set your back door on fire smile.gif

-tom w

Well those houses must be really small, or those soldiers in CM have as big egoes I do tongue.gif

Certainly I could organize group bigger than couple teams, 2 man AT team and sniper or so to fit into house, or even into small hut. For example if it is raining and don't want my men to get wet tongue.gif or I just want to hide them there for while when enemies are driving around. And certainly I could get at least 3 MGs firing out of my apartment windows (grrr... those soccer players making all that noice on summer sundays would get real surprise :mad : ) Sure my MG teams wouldn't be happy when enemy starts firing with SP guns into apartment, but at least they wouldn't have to try to find LOS from ground level.

------------------

--

jK.MkIII

[This message has been edited by jKMkIII (edited 10-20-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

Buildings are quite abstracted in CM. I guess this is another one of those cases. There are a number of issues here. If you allow to cram units inside a house, you should then also consider what happens to C&C with them being in different rooms/levels. How many of them can still shoot (windows might be few and small). Apart from that it is just bad, unrealistic tactics, so I can really see no point at all why BTS should waste time coding for it.

I can see it now. Two windows fronting the enemy, the small building has two squads, an AT team and an MMG in it. The platoon leader is having a raffle to determine who gets to shoot at Jerry. The AT team corporal comes up, politely asking whether the Lieutenant would mind leaving the left window to him for a second so that he can deal with the King Tiger rumbling down the road. The Lieutenant tries to make himself heard over the din, but Rifleman Potter is too busy trying to snipe the TC. In the meantime, the KT puts four 88 rounds into the building, it collapses, leaving heaps of rubble and lots of dead. Col_Deadmarsh and Mother Teresa prepare posts to the board complaining about that. Sounds about as realistic as Kelly's Heroes to me.

------------------

Andreas

I have noticed a problem similar to jKMkIII. When I have an HQ in a building facing toward the known or suspected enemy, I have a problem getting an infantry squad in the building to face in the same direction. They keep moving to the opposite side of the building and facing the back. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by uhduck:

They keep moving to the opposite side of the building and facing the back. Does anyone have any suggestions?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That should really come down to the same abstraction. Instead of watching the back of the HQ and the walls, your guys just find the only places they can look out for themselves.

------------------

Andreas

You have to be very careful how you move people around in a building. As noted above, small buildings can only house a few people... although I have gotten 2 squads and a CO in a small building.

Be careful with the larger buildings too. One squad or team per corner will usually work. I got a little sloppy one game... I wanted 2 squads and a CO to take up positions along one wall. The CO felt a little boxed in I suppose and walked outside into a stream of bullets frown.gif

------------------

“Thus, the M4A3E8(76)W designation meant a tank with an official Mortality of 4 minutes, Actually 3 minutes, cost Extra, and had a 76% chance of going WHOOSH." - Bullethead