Ever got that warm feelin' on the inside?

I played the Allies against a 50% bumped up Axis force in CE today. This was one of those "down and dirty" types of engagements, lots of casualties on both sides.

I had placed myself in a very compromising situation. I had placed several men in the two story "light building" to the left of the map. The game is on turn 32, my men are running low on ammo and getting cut to pieces. They had just fended off the third frontal assault by the Germans which had killed the last Platoon HQ.

Now the warm feelin' kicks in. I had the Company HQ on the right side of the map, holding a Victory Flag all alone. I know, I know, what the hell was he doing there in the first place? Well, that's not the point. The Co. HQ was one of those hard core command types: Veteran, +'s in Combat, Command and Moral, you know a real leader. I sent him off running for the building the guys were in and damn the Victory Flag. Those boys needed someone to get them outta there!

The Co. HQ ran for three turns finally to get pinned in the wheat field taking two casualties. Straight away, without a second thought, I sent a half strength squad running out the the Co. HQ's position to help give him some cover fire.

On the next turn the Axis surrendered. I made some pretty emotionally motivated decisions there. Not because I was mad that the game wasn't going as planned or that I got excited at the thought of initiating an Axis slaughter. I actually felt that those guys needed help. Somebody had to get them through this bloody brawl!

Ever got that warm feelin' on the inside?

I know what you mean, I tend to get attached to my troops as well. And

I like to do the honorable thing towards them when I can. Plus I like the

fact that it's a realistic way to command your soldiers if it was

a real battle. Any commander worth his salt should have some concern

for his troops. smile.gif

Guest *Captain Foobar*

My warm feelings stem from ordering troops forward to their deaths, if they cross me. I demand total obedience and compliance from my electronic men, and anything less will get them the honor of a "Charge of the Light Brigade"

Major Bock, in CE. He is paying the price for his incompetence.

It's Darth Vader, the WWII company commander!!

"Apology accepted, Captain Needa" As Vader slowly strangels him using the Force. One of the best scenes from "The Empire Strikes Back"

Hmmm.... Gives me an idea. It could be fun doing a Star Wars version of CM. All new Star Wars sounds as well as changing the unit pics on the tool bar to SW ones.

Jason

------------------

Betas available to everyone are just publicity stunts anyways. -FK

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by guachi:

Hmmm.... Gives me an idea. It could be fun doing a Star Wars version of CM. All new Star Wars sounds as well as changing the unit pics on the tool bar to SW ones.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now THERE's a good idea smile.gif I could see little squads of 'troopers and rebels running all over the VoT... it could be like Force Commander should have been... fun tongue.gif

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.

Changing the unit textures could be fun!

Little rebels and storm troopers running. Changing flag and unit markings to rebel and imperial insignias. Changing unit rank icons, adding blaster fire. And, of course, the background music would be the Imperial March.

I have NO artistic talent, but I might be able to pull this one off given enough time. I certainly have the Star Wars resources to do this properly, I just hope I have the ability.

SOMEBODY has to make a joke mod pack or two.

Jason

------------------

Yeah and VoT with snow could be used to represent the assault on Hoth. I'm looking forward when someone converts a Sherman into an Imperial AT-AT and Schreck Teams become Snow Speeders and... ahh...

We should get real or the Dark Side overcome us!

Guest Michael emrys

"Ever got that warm feelin' on the inside?"

Yeah, but it went away after I stopped drinking Everclear straight out of the bottle. wink.gif

Michael

Guest Michael emrys

"Ever got that warm feelin' on the inside?"

Yeah, but it went away after I stopped drinking Everclear straight out of the bottle. wink.gif

Michael

Speaking of warm feelings... I played VoT tonight and watched the actual battle almost exclusively from the "turret cam" of my Shermans... what a thrill! It's really an interesting exercise if you haven't tried it, especially if you do as I did and start your 105s from the road on the left (after the 75 bunker is KO'd from arty), roll em down the road, across the fields and through the forest area in the valley. Watching it from turret cam is really a little breathtaking... especially as Germans are running away through the wooded areas, and the turret is turning to chase them down with HE and MGs. You get the sense that you're really there on the field with the action... a very zen-like moment biggrin.gif Oh, and by the way, I won (even-strength, so it wasn't really fair) 96-4.

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.

Hey, I like this Star Wars idea. smile.gif That could be the coolest total

conversion of CM ever. Seriously, imagine the ultimate Star Wars

tactical command simulation. Like Musashi said, what Force Commander

should have been.

There are these sorts of total conversions done to Quake games all

the time, why not to CM? It has a fantastic 3D engine and can handle

the combat resolution numbers no problem. And it already has great

tac-AI. I'm sure we have some talented artists and 3D modelers among

us that could handle the visual side of things.

The battle of Hoth could be done magnificently in CM. Use a maximum

size map (3.5 x 1.5 km ?), add the appropriate trenches and weapon

emplacements, a shield generator building, some wind swept icy plains

and the battlefield is all set. smile.gif

What do you Star Wars fans think?

[This message has been edited by Lee (edited 06-12-2000).]

Well, I already said I was in favor of it... so there tongue.gif

------------------

Well, I already said I was in favor of it... so there, and I was one of the chuckleheads standing in line to see Ep.1... 3am on the day tickets went on sale, and I was about 20th in line... tongue.gif

------------------

Come on now your are going to make BTS cry. All the work that they put into this game for a historical realistic point of view. The game isn't released yet and now we are talking Star Wars mod maps.

On second thought... that'd be pretty cool...get back to work BTS!!!! (kidding i swear)

You folks don't really want to know what a Star Wars fan I am.

But I did manage to get in opening day and I stood in line for less than Planck time because I bought my ticket at 4:30 PM after all the lines had cleared.

Oh, I did get to go to a HUGE SW convention in Denver last May. And I'd go to a CM convention, too. If there ever was one.

Jason

------------------