CAMPAIGN WISH LIST CM2. opinions wanted!

WISH TO SEE IN CM2 - WW2

1)Whole range of operations from Poland Norway Spain France to Russia and Africa.

2)Campaign Campaign and again Campaign: Yes you may think that operations are enough, but until you add a campaign, some Microsoft will make something like panzer general1 using engine like cm and you will lose us (maybe not all of us, but some). If you add some type of military career to this game you will get lots of new happy players who will not sleep at night.

I need a campaign mode like this one:

I start war on German, English, French, Russian, English, American or Polish or some other side as a platoon commander. I have to win several platoon sized small battles on tiny maps and depending on the outcome earn or lose prestige points. If am good at killing or capturing enemy, I can be promoted and/or awarded medals or iron crosses. I can be wounded or unfortunately killed, because I myself will be represented on the battlefield and will fight as a lion or as a mouse. When I am promoted I can buy more units using prestige points or computer will decide this automatically, according to the type of army (armor or inf). After some wins at larger scale I can be assigned to manage small operations and etc. you have got the point. If I lose important battle I lose prestige and even can decreased in rank.

Computer can offer me at some points to change army type and switch for example from infantry to armor division or vice versa. Or AI will give me random assignments by high commanders like mongomery zshukov or Rommel.

Also Me and my units should gain some special abilities during campaign and improve from green to elite. I and my units should get some unique abilities, which for example will make my enemies run when they see my units with my logo haha.

When I am assigned to a platoon at the start of a campaign I should have green status or even lower and platoon have to see me at action (some brave action) to believe in me my be they even wont obey my orders at first because I am green. And of course my experience should improve during battles.

You should give full campaigns for example for germany from 1939 till 1945 or Russia 1941 till 1945 and give opportunity to play some additional historical campaigns for example start as a platoon commander in Rommel army or a Russian or french officer created an Partizan platoon or Batt, where your missions will be to destroy factories, rail or kill german leaders and prestige points will determine how many new people will come to you.

This is a short description of a campaign career mode I am looking forward to see in CM2. I am free to your questions and ready to help if game designers will like my idea.

Thanks for reading such long passage!

Campaigns are great,to an extent.

The idea of units gowing with experience is a bit of a myth.Troops rotate to the back lines.Troops die in small skirmishes between the larger battles.Units get broken up and shipped to where they are needed to fill lose's.Some will be there and become crack veterans,but think of all those green replacements coming in.

Also a campaign can't take into account play balance.If you get drunk one night and lose ½ your force what do you do? You could be up against 3 Tigers and planes in yout next battle and you have no "prestige points" left to replace them.

That happened in CC3 and it turned alot of people off. I like CC and liked Panzer General in its day,but those are kinda gamey aspicks.

A short term campaign could work.Talonsoft does that pretty well I think,but thats kinda what the operations are.I am sure there will be larger operations in CM2 that should please you.

I think they should concerntrate on the eastern front and leave other areas as doing a russian cm will be way different.

They will probably have to emphhasis on close combat as russians charged with pitchforks etc in the early years.

Ive read about it. And it would be hard out combat with the germans heavily outnumbered generally. Maybe they coul;d do a few new things buggered if i know what but bugger having lots of different areas iie italy etc Russia will be bad enough.

I'm looking forward to Haussers assault on Kharkov '43. Guess they'll (BTS) have to rewrite some of the houses a bit for the eastern front (Stalingrad to name one scenario). Actually I'm more excited about the Eastern front than I ever was about the western but CM1 will do until then.

"MAXIM ZASOV" I totally agree with you...

If its an all fronts entire war campaign it would be fantastic...

I would have to fit on several CD's however...and would take several years to program ...

But it would be well worth it...

------------------

Quote.

If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no planes at all it's the Luftwaffe." ---German soldier on the Western Front, 1944.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JOCHEN PEIPER:

"MAXIM ZASOV" I totally agree with you...

If its an all fronts entire war campaign it would be fantastic...

I would have to fit on several CD's however...and would take several years to program ...

But it would be well worth it...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But who would play it? It might be an impressive feat of computer programming, but who would have the inclination to play such a campaign, that would take YEARS to complete?

Actually, let modify my question... I know there would be those who would play it, but enough to warrant the time and expense to create it?

Guest aku_djinn30

I like the idea of starting as a company commander and working my up to larger units as I gain (or lose) prestige. I agree with the author's comments on the realism aspects of troop rotations and losses, but the way CM handles it could be worked in nicely, for example, if a unit takes a certain % of losses they lose a rank of experince as green troops replace the casualties. The battle group and command elements of CC3 was one of it's most fascinating and addictive elements (which they threw away for CC4 sadly...) When my best friend and I came accross CM we were so pleased! We have found a better sim than CC3-4. I hope there can be some middle ground in this aspect of the sim. Having a personal stake in the outcome makes it so much more interesting. It almost adds a roleplaying aspect to such an in-depth tactical sim. I hope it will be considered for Cm2+.

------------------

aku-djinn30

An operation for each large Russian city, i.e. Stalingrad, Moscow, etc. would be great. Each successful mission as the Germans would push farther into each city. Each success ny the Soviets would push out of the city.

I believe that to accurately portray the fighting and the huge size of the Russian cities, more than one mission would be needed to take/free a city.

As an example, say you are playing as the Germans:

Mission 1: farmland

Mission 2: outskirts

Mission 3: Suburbs

Mission 4: Capture bridge 1

Mission 5: light industial

Mission 6: Capture bridge 2

Mission 7: Industrial center

Mission 8: Mopping up

Each large city would of course require large factories and other buildings. Just like in the real Stalingrad, snipers will have a picnic in the tall buildings.

------------------

Ah scheist.

[This message has been edited by Minnesota Joe (edited 08-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Minnesota Joe (edited 08-07-2000).]

> If its an all fronts entire war campaign

> it would be fantastic...

> I would have to fit on several CD's

> however...and would take several years to > program ...

Ugh! You've got to be kidding.

Guys, if you want an example of why this won't work, buy East Front and try to play through their big campaign. It's only east front though, so it's much smaller than what you're asking for. You play one or two battles every week for most weeks of the war so basically you have to play something like 100-200 games to make it all the way through. Very few people actually bothered doing it and it pretty much amounted to being a bit of a waste of time for players and programmers alike.

Instead of asking BTS to do a whole lot of programming for these requested campaigns why not just set them up yourself? Pick your favorite division - find out where they were and what they were doing every month and just set up some quick battles to try and mimic it. It's educational too cause you get to do some research and reading. You can make your own rules as to unit replacements and skill improvement/degradation.

Alternately, get your hands on the Solitaire ASL package and use the charts in there to generate some campaign missions. It would probably work pretty well also.

p.

Dear friends No problem. Campaigns for Eastern front alone would be ok because 1418 days of battles is enough I think. But campaign is what I and some players need. If you do not like campaigns (40 -50 linked battles or operations) you can still have scenarios and operations. BTS can add some features to their still extremely powerful editor and that is it - we ourselves will set up and research campaigns like people are now making operations and battles.

When talking about problems about realism of replacements i would say that BTS can copy the concept from panzer general - for example you can have different types of replacements using your prestige points: elite will cost more green less. Volkssturm or russian partizans free. We had such example in Russia during this WW2 war. Near Stalingrad during german advance a Battalion commanded stopped an advance of Manstein armor trying to relieve Paulus and left dead some 40 german tanks and lots of german infantry. From this battalion only 6 men left including batt commander wounded. This man after he recovered was given command of one of the best Russian Elite Guards Regiment- so elite replacements some times follow when you fought like a lion.