Big RANT (long)..but serious

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! I've got a cool point and a positive comment from Fionn! My life is nearly complete. wink.gif

Now I just have to achieve the much sought after "member status" as well as a Big Time sycophant (or is that psycho-fan?) and I'll nearly have achieved Nirvana. Note that I say nearly achieved Nirvana. Nirvana comes when Combat Mission ships...

And now to establish myself as a Big Time Software sycophant...

I've purchased 2 copies of OTR as well as 2 copies of Achtung Spitfire. I have to admit that I got copies for myself and copies for my war gaming friend, so I can't really claim the ultimate BTS sycophant status. wink.gif

I just wish that more of the money that I spent on the games went directly into BTS's pockets...

-Lurker

wow... long post.

I'm not even going to comment on the graphics. as I've said before i would have been happy with the beta demo as the final product.

Now for useless information.....

1) i thought a grognard was someone who knows the diffrence in legroom from a panzer iv and a v

2)Swat 3? are you kidding? no multiplayer. Go with rogue spear.(action game of the year) kicks butt!

3).45 is much better than a 9mm. (unless you want to see how many bullets you can get in them before they fall)

4) platform war... Gaming, PC wins hands down. If you do publishing Mac takes the gold.

Lorak

------------------

"A stupid man dies a stupid death."

http:/clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Guest Captain Foobar

I say this with the utmost respect for everyone involved, and as this is an international community we have here, I will try to be thoughtful with my choice of words.

I think we need to institute a FOREIGN LANGUAGE SPOILER policy. Anyone who is not completely fluent in the default language of this forum, English, needs to let it be known in their first sentence that they might very well act like a complete arse.

(AH64D=W583???)

This goes especially for people who follow up with their foreign language as an EXCUSE for being disruptive and rude. I am sure that I would mis-state myself repeatedly if I was trying to post in another language, but I speak English, so I come here.

I applaud anyone who is multi-lingual; that is a talent I do not have. But to come here and act like that? Geez, and we Americans get the rep for being boisterous and rude..

rolleyes.gif

Oh, and while I am at it, I believe that anyone working the microphone at a fast-food drive-through window should have either

1) That country's primary language, as theirs

OR

2) Pass a freakin test...

And I'm spent.....

[This message has been edited by Captain Foobar (edited 02-08-2000).]

I'm late to this lil party, but as a software developer and as a wargamer who saved himself for CM biggrin.gif, I just have to respond to Steve's post -- it struck a chord in me.....

CM is not about the graphics -- the fact that they are as good as they are is a bonus, but I would have been quite content with a lot less. (Coulda shipped all them fancy textures as a patch for all I care.) CM is about the underlying simulation that you can't see, the obsessive attention to detail which went into making as realistic a model of combat as possible given typical hardware today. The graphics simply convey that model.

CM is so enjoyable and so educational precisely because of this realism. When I play CM, I get the sensation that the underlying model is "pure", to the extent that perhaps BTS could theoretically release a CM 1.0 patch three years from now that'll simply add on photo-realistic rendering. wink.gif Thing is, I wonder how much of their engine / model would have to change for such a theoretical patch; I would suspect very little. (Talk about the ultimate mod. biggrin.gif) Even so, this wouldn't satisfy the twitch crowd, and never will, because they won't get to drive the tanks and pull the triggers, etc. The point is, CM is more like chess in that it's about tactics -- it's the engagement of battlefield commanders in a mental war, but without all the abstractions associated with chess. (Hey, hardware was limited when chess was invented; Why hasn't anyone given BTS credit for making chess obsolete? biggrin.gif)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's long been "into" military history, esp. WWII, but never got into wargaming because of the tedium, the abstractions, and some sorta hang up with fighting wars by throwing dice. (Now a mouse and a keyboard -- that's much better! biggrin.gif) CM made wargaming accessible to me.

Look at it another way: how many reviews of flight sims and wargames have to consider gameplay concessions? What would that list look like for CM?

Oh well, I'm sure this'll get lost in the noise, but at least I got this out.

So, let's write a song celebrating CM -- I'll

throw out a lyric:

"Twitch crowd go away, but not before you KMA!" smile.gif Hmm -- where's my Strat.....

Guest Big Time Software

OK... time to close this thread down wink.gif

I'll just say one thing about posters who are using English as a second language. I don't think anybody would have jumped all over the intial post if there was even the slightest hint of language difficulties. However, the post was fluent, well articulated, and the sentiments very clear even *if* the language had been been less than perefect.

We continue to improve the graphics, not because we feel we HAVE to, but because we want to. Just don't DEMAND stuff because nobody has that right.

OK, enough said on the matter.

Steve

P.S. And yes, CM is written on a Mac. And whoever got it in their heads that Mac hardware was holding back the PC... WRONG!!! Bill Gates is. DX is one of the worst things possible to work with, what with most of the drivers out there being just as buggy and inconsistant as the lame API they were written for biggrin.gif

Steve