E:mail – Mac-PC

Yo! A friend and I are trying to play the Last Def scen in the Demo and are having some probs. Started on the Mac OK (Axis setup), rec'd on PC OK, but arrives back at Mac as a .txt file which CM doesn't recog. I just want to check to see if mult-platorm e:mail play is possible before I start ripping my and his machines apart.

'Can't wait for the release. Got my visa on stand-by. T(h)anks!

Michael,

I have a Mac, and have played several games PBEM -- all against peecee types -- with no problems.

The file CM creates on the Mac doesn't have a filename extension (like .txt), but it is still a text file. As a general rule, I rename my "PBEM File" with a different name, and I always include the .txt extension so PC guys won't have any problems (just in case).

Verify the file you are getting is indeed a text file by trying to open it in SimpleText or the word processor of your choise. It should have a line at the top reading... <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> ----------------- Play-By-Email Data Follows This Line ----------------- <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> ...and one at the end reading... <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> ---------------------- End of Play-By-Email Data ----------------------- <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> ...and a bunch of gibberish in between.

If you cannot open the file, then something is wrong. Verify with your opponent that he isn't compressing it in an unworkable way, either externally or internally to his e-mail program.

Hope something above helps! smile.gif

Regards,

Steve C.

[This message has been edited by Howitzer (edited 03-19-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I have a Mac, and have played several games PBEM -- all against peecee types -- with no problems.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How did you manage that? There are a lot of Mac players (a surprising amount actually). I think I'm running about 50/50 PC/Mac opponents.

[This message has been edited by Berlichtingen (edited 03-20-2000).]

No, Berlicht, it's not surprising… First, there aren't so many wargames on Mac; second, CM is not published by a big game publisher with a lot of advertising so PC gamers, i think, don't know much about it, whereas Mac users tell everyone "hey, look, there's a new game for us !"

Last, CM is not a game for stupid people. There are probably more stupid guys in the PC crowd. wink.gif

Hi Michael,

You can try sending the files zipped up instead of straight. Some people have trouble receiving the file properly if it's embedded in an e-mail as text. Just another possibility to check out.

Also before you send the file, check the exact length and mention it to your opponent. That way he can tell if his file got mangled a little in transmission. I find a lot of times when a file fails to load, the size that was received is different than the size of file sent.

Hope this sort of helps.

p.

micheal,

Try using Zip It to compress the file first before sending. It is a free or shareware utility. If you can access the file with simple text, open it, find the line that reads - ----------------- Play-By-Email Data Follows This Line ----------------- and deleat everything above that line and resave it out as a text file withe the name of PBEM File.

Chris says:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>...more genius PC owners (like me...)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, right! tongue.gif

But, then again, there's a first for everything... rolleyes.gif

Let's see now, if your statement is true, that would make the score:

PeeCee "Geniuses" -- 1

PeeCee "Lemmings" -- 1 billion and growing

Wait here, I'll go look for the nearest cliff and report back! wink.gif

Steve C.

[This message has been edited by Howitzer (edited 03-20-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Fionn,

The difference between Steve Jobs and Bill Gates:

1. Bill Gates could have you PUSHED for a large sum of money and probably a good deal of bullying.

2. Steve Jobs could convince someone that to push you off the cliff is the right thing to do and over you go.

That is the difference between money and charisma smile.gif

Back on topic...

Michael, you can also send and receive files using uuEncode. For a text file this is no problemo and doesn't really make file transfers that much longer as modems have built in text compression hardware. For example, a ZIPed file goes though my modem at about 2.6kbs, but a text file usually averages twice that.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Steve Jobs could convince someone that to push you off the cliff is the right thing to do and over you go.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have experience the famous "Reality Distortion Field" live. Steve Jobs could convince you that it would be a good idea to jump and over you go smile.gif Hearing him speak in person, is a truly memorable experience.

Oh NO Steve and Dan are now POD PEOPLE ! wink.gif.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Steve Jobs could convince you that it would be a good idea to jump and over you go <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, so the same man who CONVINCED you to buy a Mac could convince anyone to jump off a cliff. Hmm could there be a relationship between buying a Mac and suggestibility/suicidal tendencies? I feel a Master Thesis Dissertation coming on wink.gif.

P.s. I'm neutral in the platform wars so I'm just poking a bit of light fun here (please don't take any of my Mac-bashing too seriously wink.gif )

Guest Kettle Black

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

We are POD PEOPLE with STYLE biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Grape POD, Lime POD...

Hmm, I'm sorry but you're not really PEOPLE, not even in the widest sense wink.gif

I still like to refer to Mac users as "Modern Jesuits" hehe.

"PC-Heathens! Burn at the stake you evil spawn of Gates!"

Let's face it, all OS suck. Just in different areas and some more than others. The really stable one is too hard to use, the easiest, most intuitive is yadda yadda the most popular is blaha blaha. I hate em all so it doesn't matter which I use. wink.gif

I'm gonna buy myself a new stupid PC soon and my wife will buy a new stupid (but cute) iMac.

------------------

Kettle Black

"The End? With practically everyone still on their feet? Over my dead body!"

The Player, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead"

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Let's face it, all OS suck.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you developed for different OSes you would realize that some suck WAY more than others wink.gif To play a QuickTime movie in CM on the Mac it took a couple of lines of code and not one dime out of our pockets. On the PC it takes either an $800 SDK from MS or a $3000 one that works from RAD Technologies (or whatever they renamed themselves) called Smacker. In the latter two cases the coding ain't simple, though it is easier for Smacker from what I remember.

Yeah, we just LOVE writing code for Billy's hack of an OS smile.gif Many PCers think the Mac guys are lucky that we made a Mac version of CM. The truth is it is really the other way around biggrin.gif

Steve