Running out of Scenarios :)

I have been search everywhere for good Tiger tank using historic battles for a scenario(damn you eastern front took all the Tigers). It seems as if they have all been taken. Hum....anyone have an idea on what kind of battle or operation they want to see in action?

There were many small battles with Tigers you can create. In the book I'm reading there's there's a battle between some FFE and Tigers outside Paris.

Most Tigers seems to have died from P-47:s, Typhoons though. Or simply abandoned in the great rushes that took place after the initial D-Day battles.

Just create a skirmish and you should have alot of possible Tiger scenarios. 88:s were pretty common too in the race for Belgium.

Marcus

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by V B:

Hum....anyone have an idea on what kind of battle or operation they want to see in action?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have a look at Reynolds' 'Steel Inferno' - there are tons of possibilities in there. The book is also very reasonably priced in North America.

------------------

Andreas

At the start of the Von Rundstedt offensive (Battle of the Bulge), Kampfgruppe Peiper (1st Panzer division : "Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler") counted a.o. 45 Tiger II (501e Abteilung Von Westerhagen).

When Joachim Peiper finally escaped by foot the encerclement of La Gleize, he left behind six "Koenigstiger", which were still completely intact. One Tiger II has been placed in commemoration of the battle on the marketsquare of the village. An other one has been shipped to Maryland (Museum of Aberdeen).

So if you want to create scenarios involving Kingtiger just follow the odissey of the 1st panzer divison (waffen SS) from Losheimergraben trough Stavelot til the attack on Stoumont (Dec 16-22, 1944)

(You might have to include the massacre of 86 G.I. captured at Baugnez near Malmedy)

Just type the name of "Peiper" and "La Gleize" in a search engine and several sites will pop up telling you the story.

------------------

Did you know, that the average lifetime of a forward observer in the frontline is...3 minutes.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Have a look at Reynolds' 'Steel Inferno' - there are tons of possibilities in there. The book is also very reasonably priced in North America.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, Andreas, I just read that one recently too. You're right, I think there's some decent info in there regarding German side of battles. I've read US stuff, and they'll have incredible detail on what the US forces were in situations, even down to very small unit info, but all references to German forces will be: "A German tank", or "German infantry".

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

VB,

Concerning Tiger I/II tanks in action on the Western front there aren´t many unbiased sources with in depth first hand accounts.

Most are heavily biased because they were written by former SS-tankers. "Will Fey" is an outstanding example for that.

However, in Normandy there were 3 Tiger bataillons, the 101-SS, the 102-SS and the 503-WH (with the only 12 (IIRC) Tiger II (Porsche turett design) which saw action in Normandy).

Coming to sources:

Will Fey "Panzerkanpf", in the english speaking part of the world published as "Armour Battles of the Waffen-SS", you can get it at Fedorowicz Publishing, Canada.

Will Fey was tank commander in 102-SS-Tigerabteilung.

Hubert Mayer´s diary of the 12th SS PD "Hitlerjugend", describing many acounts of Tigers in action, since 101-SS-Tigerabteilung fought alongside 1st SS PD and 12th SS PD in 1st SS Panzercorps.

You can get this at Fedorowicz too.

Patrick Agte "Michael Wittmann and the Commanders of LSSAH". Describing in mucho detail, fisthand accounts of 101-SS-Tigerabteilung from first action in 1943 to the end in Hungary, including Normandy and the Bulge of course.

Again, translated and published at Fedorowicz.

Another source, but one with many historical glitches is Simpsons "Tiger Ace" dealing with Michael Wittmann, but be aware that historical acurracy is not the strength of this book, although, of course the author claims this.

However, you can get it at Greenhill or Schiffer books. Can´t remember.

Of course I can recommend all three Michael Reynolds books, these are "Steel Inferno" dealing with 1st and 12th SS PD in Normandy. "The Devils Adjudant" dealing with 1st SS and Joachim Peiper in the battle of the Bulge and "Men of Steel" dealing with 12th SS PD and 1st SS PD in the Bulge and Hungary.

One more indeed outstanding source on Tiger I/II first hand accounts, battle reports, original documents, etc. is Thomas Jentz´s book "Germany's Tiger Tanks : Tiger I & II : Combat Tactics" published by Schiffer books.

I hope these sources can give you some ideas what to read next wink.gif

Helge

------------------

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: desertfox1891@hotmail.com

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/desertfox1891

[This message has been edited by The DesertFox (edited 06-26-2000).]

I am already working on a huge battle associated with the last push of Kampfgruppe Peiper (historic, even got a few of the units totally correct) There is one King Tiger but the "Elite" Tiger crews did not last long during the Ardennes offensive due to the massive Allied CAS and artillery. So few Tiger IIs saw acctual combat in the Bulge that the few accounts that do remain are sketchy accounts from Allied tankers (of which half claimed they capped a Tiger tank atleast once) But I do know Kampfgruppe Peiper had atleast 20 Koingstiger at the beginning of the assault (spearheading).

Mfred there already is a Wittman Operation and Battle with the game or else I would have made one.

Helge, I finally got my copy of the Tiger Kampf und Taktik book from Podzun Pallas. It is alright, but thinner than expected. I was most surprised to see the readiness rates of the Tiger compared with the Pz IV and Panther.

There's also the Kuehn book "Tiger: Geschichte einer legendaeren Waffe" I don't know if it is published in English or not.

Bob,

Yeah right. Kuehn/Kleine is a good book too. You can find some stuff about the creation of the Tigerfibel there which can´t be found somewhere else.

The unit histories are a good addition to Jentz´s book.

To the readiness rates: Talk about highly qualified maintanance guys and high priority supply. No Division can compete with a Korps priority wink.gif

Concerning this matter and a lot of other stuff Jentz really has written a very insightfull book.

Helge

------------------

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: desertfox1891@hotmail.com

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/desertfox1891

If you want to model scenarios featuring Tiger I tanks in Normandy, I have two words for you:

Epsom

Goodwind

Sherman tank = Ronson lighter.

Get Micheal Reynolds book "Steel Inferno". The Brits lost HUNDREDS of tanks in these operations.