WHAT´S WRONG WITH THOSE TANKS???

I´m a big DYO-scenario fan.

I did a map, were the US have to attack from the west/north to the south/east. A road is leading trough a dense forest (from the west to the south)- this road leads to a victory flag. The trick (for the defensiv player) is, that near to the middle of my map, this road, can be watched by the defender about a length of 100-150 meters. (it´s cool to watch the US Tank platoon roaring along this street).

The tanks moving along the street, (to the east) can be watched from the south. As expected, the germans are firing to the tankcolumn. And now it happends:

The whole column (5 tanks) are turning at once (like some dancers) their backside to the east and rewinding along the street, wich goes into a curve leading to the north and then again curves to the east, where a german unit is sitting in ambush position. The US tanks a arriving at that ambush point with their BACKSIDES to the enemy!!!!! They still try to rush along the street with their backside - they all are be killed by my 50mm PAK, hitting them in the rear!!!

What´s going on here - why do those tanks make this turn??????????????

Has anybody seen this, too??? What can i do, or better, what did i wrong??? Is this a bug, wich belongs to the pathfinding???

I never saw this before, nearly every thing is done well by the AI - but this backside party is really strange!!

Hope to get some answers.

Greetings

Jochen

I might have seen something related.

In a recent random scenario I played one of my tanks was backing of from an engagement. This backing away was along a road, flanked by dense buildings. As the turn ended while the tanks was still moving I could see its (TacAI planned) way points.

To my surprise one of the waypoints was put somewhere in 'infinity'. The other waypoints descibed a logical and legal path along the road, but this one was located way past the edge of the board, the purple connecting lines passing through houses and woods, looking like a railtrack running of into the distance.

So I guess there might be an occasional issue with the automated pathfinder, especially when tanks are backing away along a road flanked by inpassible terrain.

(Unfortunatly I didn't save the screen. I had to give a stop order to get rid of the waypoint, as I could not reach it with a mouseclick. I could not reproduce the effect manually).

Bertram

Thank you very much for your answer!

In the mean time i tried to change the "controlzones" of the mapedges. It seems to me, since i changed the north edge into neutral (before allied) the tanks behave in the right manner (still to prove it again).

Perhaps it belongs to the "ownership" of the mapedges. The tanks try to face the enemy always with their front armor. So, in my scenario, it could be, that the tanks are turning to move into the curve leading to the north with their front to the enemy in the south. Would make sense, but not, as in my case, if the LOS of the enemy is blocked by wood and pines.

As i could see in the first game after the changing, the tanks try to turn again, when the road is curving again to the east (wich is set to axis).

I´ll check it again.

Thanks a lot.

Jochen

Whaaaa??????

Let me see......... what a happiness - it´s Combat Mission!!!!!!

(i remember very well the dancing tanks - so, you could imagine my shock, when my Sherman platoon was doing the "Turnarround")

Greetings

Jochen

I have seen something like this, too but it was an AI controlled Veteran Panther. It crested a ridge, took on a PIAT team, reversed (running perpendicular to the front lines), stopped, then proceeded to make a little circle to run back to its original hide spot. Needless, to say one of my Shermans took advantage of the situation to kill it with a rear-facing shot. Couldn't see the paths since it was AI-controlled, but they must have been weird!

During beta testing, I've seen this maybe once or twice. It usually happened when you had a bunch of vehicles too close to each other on a road with (impassable) woods on both sides. It seemed that the AI tried to unjam them, and after not succeeding for some time, decided to back off some of them to make space.

Agreeably not a wise thing to do with enemy lurking in that direction.

However, I haven't seen this for a long time, even when testing it with the latest versions. I am sure Charles will look into this for the upcoming patch...