Ridiculous kill: Jeep kills Hetzer.

Guest Chris B

Guest Big Time Software

The Hetzer's MG is indeed remote-controlled.

The U.S. .50 cal was designed to destroy light armor. It can penetrate 12.7mm at 1000m, and 19mm at 550m, according to "Hell On Wheels" referencing the War Department's "Defense Against Mechanized Units". Obviously, at point-blank range, the penetration would be even greater (somewhere in the 22-25mm range, IIRC, sorry I don't have my data in front of me at the moment).

That's enough to defeat the Hetzer's 20mm side armor. And there's more...

The Hetzer has low quality armor.Very low quality. smile.gif The kind that doesn't have the strength you'd expect. We rate it at 85% which is probably generous.

So the effective side armor basis of the Hetzer is 17mm, which the .50 cal can penetrate quite easily at short ranges.

And imagine what it's like. It's not a single shell penetrating. It's five, ten, maybe twenty or more. All richocheting around inside the tiny crew compartment, fragments flying everywhere. And more shots coming very quickly (no need to reload some big cannon, just squeeze the trigger!). The side of that Hetzer would look like Schweizer Käse. wink.gif

The .50 cal is a big bad mama jama.

Charles

<The Hetzer has low quality armor.Very low quality. The kind that doesn't have the strength you'd expect. We rate it at 85% which is probably generous.>

I've seen some mention of this in previous threads. It's funny, but in all my readings, I haven't seen reference to late-war German vehicles being made of poor quality armour. In fact, in 1943-44, Otto Carius (CO of SPzAbt 502) reported that the crews were generally very pleased with the quality of the armour on their tigers, reporting that most shells would just glance off like butter, instead of cracking or breaking the armour.

Not doubting you, just interested in further reading if you can divulge some of your sources on this. Thanks,

ianc

Tank design is a balancing act between speed, armour, size, and firepower - the Hetzer sacrificed armour (and perhaps firepower with it's 75mm) for speed and very small size (a camouflaged Hetzer would be harder to spot than a King Tiger).

Cheers

Mace

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ianc:

<The Hetzer has low quality armor.Very low quality. The kind that doesn't have the strength you'd expect. We rate it at 85% which is probably generous.>

I've seen some mention of this in previous threads. It's funny, but in all my readings, I haven't seen reference to late-war German vehicles being made of poor quality armour. In fact, in 1943-44, Otto Carius (CO of SPzAbt 502) reported that the crews were generally very pleased with the quality of the armour on their tigers, reporting that most shells would just glance off like butter, instead of cracking or breaking the armour.

Not doubting you, just interested in further reading if you can divulge some of your sources on this. Thanks,

ianc<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

So the effective side armor basis of the Hetzer is 17mm, which the .50 cal can penetrate quite easily at short ranges.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you factoring in the armor slope with MG?

Guest Big Time Software

ianc,

The Tiger was the exception. You'll see that it has full-quality armor in CM. The Hetzer was a cheapie - quickly built for low cost, and its armor quality was suspect at best. Also, late in the war, shortages of certain metals (like Chromium, IIRC) forced the Germans to use substandard alloys in most of their armor.

Jarmo,

Yes the armor slope is accounted for in CM. The .50 MG can still penetrate the Hetzer side at close range (certainly the lower side hull - not sure about the upper side hull, I'd have to run some tests which I can't do at the moment).

Charles

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sgt.Morgue:

The .50cal and the 12.7mm(.51cal) machine guns are anti-aircraft and anti-armor weapons , the Geneva Convention bans them against using on personal, because of the force of these weapons.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder if any americans were charged of this war crime. I assume it was used against personnel a few times smile.gif

Guest Scott Clinton

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The .50cal and the 12.7mm(.51cal) machine guns are anti-aircraft and anti-armor weapons , the Geneva Convention bans them against using on personal, because of the force of these weapons.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but this is not true.

The "Geneva Convention" has NOTHING to do with how war is conducted at all with the sole exceptions of prohibiting gas and biological weapons (the later only after WW2).

The convention (actually conventions as there were several) I believe guys are thinking of is generally referred to as the second Hague convention. This was replaced by the fourth Hague convention in 1907: The Yale law site specifically refers to it as: "Laws of War : Laws and Customs of War on Land (Hague IV); October 18, 1907".

The ONLY clause that could possibly be applied to the use of a .50cal. weapon against ground troops is Chapter I, Article 23, Section 6 . I quote: "Besides the prohibitions provided by special Conventions, it is especially prohibited:-- To employ arms, projectiles, or material of a nature to cause superfluous injury;"

This is vague to say the least. The case has been made that using a 50cal. against a human would violate this rule, but I doubt it. If you are firing at an infantry squad 800m away I don't think there could be any possible case considering that the range is such that no other weapon of lesser size would even have the capability to kill infantry at this range. Thus the .50cal would not be 'superfluous' because it would be the ONLY weapon at hand capable of attacking the enemy.

If you read the full text of this convention (and many others of the period) you will notice the following clause is always included near the very beginning: "The present Declaration is only binding for the Contracting Powers in the case of a war between two or more of them. It shall cease to be binding from the time when, in a war between the Contracting Parties, one of the belligerents is joined by a non-Contracting Power." Japan did not sign any of these conventions, thus after 12/07/1941 these need no longer apply.

I just thought (after about the tenth post on this subject I have seen in the last couple of months) it should be cleared up. smile.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 07-12-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Clinton:

This is vague to say the least. The case has been made that using a 50cal. against a human would violate this rule, but I doubt it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The source of much of the confusion can be attributed to drill Sgts telling recruits the famous "Shoot their belt buckle" story.

Recruits are, after all, told that the DI's word is LAW! smile.gif

The fact that there is incendiary ammunition AVAILABLE for .50 cals (used mainly in aircraft, IIRC) makes some people think that they fall in the prohibited category. I believe the intent was to not alloy hollow point (aka "dum-dum") bullets, saw-toothed knoves, etc. in armies' inventories.

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Guest Scott Clinton

IntelWeenie:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I believe the intent was to not alloy hollow point (aka "dum-dum") bullets, saw-toothed knoves, etc. in armies' inventories.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhh....

That would be Hague Declaration III Laws of War : Declaration on the Use of Bullets Which Expand or Flatten Easily in the Human Body; July 29, 1899 smile.gif

This one is VERY short and is very specific in regards to ONLY "....the use of bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body..."

(Hey, I'm on a roll tongue.gif )

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 07-12-2000).]

i only made that statement from my military experince , being a U.S. cavalryman , we had 10-.50 cals in each platoon and were told this often , it may well be unture. In reality we used our 50s often on troops , in the open and in dug in postions.

Guest Scott Clinton

I think they just did'nt want you to waste that expensive .50cal ammo! Get in their and use that bayonet! wink.gif

BTW, how much time was devoted to hand-to-hand/bayonet drills after basic and advanced training were completed?

------------------