VoT - memory leak?

I had played this scenario as the American twich with the same result. After a little more than two hours of play testing the games locks. Both times it happens when there were a lot of talk going on. Could it be a memory leak, eating up my system memory?

Beside this - I think this is the best game I played - EVER!

Best regards

Henrik Malmvig

That could very well be. It could also be instability in driver files or DirectX (if you're on a PC) I've experienced several lockups requiring a hard reboot, but they don't make me want to stop playing. Instead I just get all antsy while I'm restarting to see what happens next.

The odd thing is that the lockups seem to happen right after I make a big mistake, like allowing infantry to enter a previously unknown crossfire or something. The temptation is very great to adjust the orders after I restart the system.

DjB

Guest Madmatt

Well if there is a memory leak in CM I would know about it. I often run at least one copy of CM (sometimes two when comparing the demo to the release version!), a browser or two, my email program and two art programs. I would have to say that CM is one of the BEST programs I have delt with in its management of resources.

Are you overclocking anything in your system and if so what sort of extra cooling do you have in system? Lockups after a set period of time are often do to excessive heat buildup inside the computer case. The primary culprit is an overclocked CPU or video card or both when proper aftermarket cooling is not added.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

As Madmatt mentioned, if the game is locking up after a specific amount of time it could very well be a heat-related problem.

Since you mentioned sound being related to your lockup I would suggest changing a sound related setting (assuming you're running a PC). Run x:\Program Files\Directx\Setup\DXDIAG.EXE and this will launch the DirectX diagnostic/setup. From here go to the Audio tab and then adjust the slider in the middle of the tab for "Audio Acceleration". I'd suggest sliding it all the way to the left to see if this helps or not. Since you are able to play for quite awhile, then I would think that this won't affect your problem, but it may be worth a try.

I've had no problems with the game locking up. But, it most likely sounds like a driver conflict. I'm running a DirectX7 compatible 3D video card on a PIII 600.

You might try, before installing the game, simply defragging your hard drive. I've seen that required on many programs. smile.gif