German Light tanks VS. Stuarts w/ dissapointing results...

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

I don't think so. If that'd be the way the tanks are handled,

then that should also be the way for the infantry squads.

Might make the game a bit too unplayable.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why? It would force the player to adopt historical tactics: The Sovs throw enough men and equipment into the battle to compensate for their lack of flexibility and cohesion. In any event, this stricture should begin to ease up in late '42 as the Sovs gain experience, radios, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I wonder if the moral penalties could be given to tanks as well

as infantry. A lone panicked T-34 hiding in a bush after being

scared by a King Tiger. biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but don't forget to also give them the capacity to fight on tenaciously after other nationalities would have run up the white flag.

Michael

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One topic that I think has been overlooked in this discussion of Radios is that the Germans had throat microphones. I think the importance of this has been overlooked by most Historians. This one invention made communication far superior to anything the Allies had (look at all the pictures you see of German commanders hands free, one ear to listen to commands via radio and one to the battle field. The Allies' microphone would be drowned out by the sounds of battle) Just something that has always fascinated me.

I am pretty sure that each French Platoon had a HQ tank, which I believe was equipped with a radio for communication up the ranks. The way that the Command tank communicated with other tanks was through a series of flags. Their orders were not quite as detailed as what could be said through a radio, but, radio communication in the heat of combat wasn't very precise either.

I think that French tank formations should behave like regular Infantry formations. Each of the 'troop' tanks will have to be connected to a 'command' tank. In order to act at 100% efficiency, it has to stay within a certain radius (just like Infantry with their platoon HQ). And if the command tank is knocked out, the rest of the tanks will act like Squads without a HQ.

Small turrets could be modeled by reducing the speed of a tank's firing rate. Since the commander is also the spotter and gunner, it would take a lot longer for it to line up and fire an aimed shot than the larger turretted British and German tanks. Possibly there should be a special setting for the Tactical AI to consider, wether or not they want to sacrifice spotting and targetting for rapid fire, and so on. If a R-35 is in the heat of battle with a Panzer III it would be less concerned with getting a perfect shot than to get as many shots out there as possible (counting on a lucky hit).

Actually, it all works out pretty well. The French will be suffering from restricted command and control as well as firing rates, but the Germans will be suffering from weakly armoured and armed tanks. Should make for interesting encounters. I would hate to be the German player up against British armour, which didn't suffer from either lack of command and control as well as having above average armour and a good AT weapon in the 2 Pounder (good for 1940, and better than the German 37mm).